Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Guys!

Everyone post tips , advise and personal stories about how to achieve an A* for Chemistry A-Level. I'm curious and I'm sure many fellow chemists in Year 13 also are.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    cry blood

ReputationRep:
    I found that making your own notes/flashcards to get key ideas (that you may find otherwise difficult to remember) down in a highly mobile format, coupled with extensive exam practice, helps in attaining high grades for science subjects.

Having said that, I didn't achieve an A* in A-Level Chemistry so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the hardest science A-Level to get an A* in by the looks of it- Discussing it with a friend, the key appears to be getting above 108/120 in Unit 4 by the Jan. (at least for Edexcel). Unit 5 appears to be grasped a lot more easily, especially if it's not done with a Unit 4 retake. But I wimped out with Biology, so this is all second hand.
    Only one person has ever got an A* in Chemistry at my school, but he got A* A* A* A* (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics) before toddling off to Magdalen College to read Physics. Think you just need to be that type of person.....

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's impossible but it sure is hard! I'd say constantly going over what you've done in lessons. Doing lots of exam style questions to get you used to the wording and how to answer in an A level manner, plus past exam papers. Flash cards, posters, quizzes and tests. Generally working your butt off! What's also really useful is reading the examiners reports. You should check them out. They tell you where the majority of students went wrong on each question!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.