Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new

Just looking for some advice really. I want to do biomedical science.

I am considering starting the BSc Natural Science degree in October. Currently I am doing a business and accounts access course at college, even though I am sailing through it, business just isn't for me. I have always had a keen interest in science but I don't have the qualifications. Apart form the Int 2s, highers and the advanced higher I will achieve from my current course I don't have any other qualifications there for no chance of getting into Uni.

I have been trying to research my options (information overload!) and they are -

-apply to a science access course at another college (not possible due to childcare issues and distance)

-do the DLC access to biomedical science course (not sure on this, would prefer to do s104 to get a chance to study other sciences as I have only studied biology and chemisty to standard grade level and geology looks quite interesting!)

-do OU Natural Science degree, well as many of the modules that will be required , if I can use them!

Has anyone or is anyone planning on using the OU as a stepping stone to 'brick uni'? In any subject, science advice even better

As I said, information overload trying to research this. My main concern is if the uni I want to apply to (Glasgow Caledonian) will accept OU modules? I suppose I just have to bite the bullet and ask them eh?

Any advice appreciated, also I am considered a mature student if this will make a difference to my lack of formal education.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely an option, but surely much more expensive now than a normal access course? Unless you qualify for fee exemption of some kind?

Or perhaps I misunderstood and you want to study the BSc in Natural Sciences at the Open University? Then you don't need an access course - you can study towards the degree rightaway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply

No I was wanting to start on the degree from the OU and then use this as an access route to brick Uni if that makes sense?
    I'm entitled to a part time fee waver anyway so money isn't an issue.

I've found a new route in which I will get practical experience anyway but still considering some OU biology modules out of interest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airyhead)
    This might be of interest to you.

ReputationRep:
    I was accepted to Stirling University this way. I studied English at the OU and then decided I wanted to go to a brick n mortar institution after four years. Stirling told me they accepted OU credits, but only level 2 and above, and I had to specify in my personal statement what I had studied at the OU.

I would also check with Student Finance about the part time situation, it could affect funding in further years. My sister had a grant while studying at Birkbeck, and is now at Durham and SFE refusing to pay tuition fees for her honours years because of it.

I would also think very carefully about Glasgow Caledonian. I don't mean to be rude, but it is one [if not the] lowest placed Scottish universities in the rankings, and in general doesn't have a good reputation. I don't know your reasons for choosing Cally, but make sure you do your research and visit the university before applying. Be careful, reputation is everything in the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futility)
    This might be of interest to you.
    Thanks looks really good but unfortunately nothing in Scotland :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brigantia)
    I was accepted to Stirling University this way.

I would also think very carefully about Glasgow Caledonian. I don't mean to be rude, but it is one [if not the] lowest placed Scottish universities in the rankings, and in general doesn't have a good reputation. I don't know your reasons for choosing Cally, but make sure you do your research and visit the university before applying. Be careful, reputation is everything in the sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's good to know, I'll call around and find out what different unis would accept then

I'm kinda limited with where I can even apply. Got 2 kids and another on the way eek! So Glasgow is about as far as I can go (or UWS in Hamilton) From the little research I have done, Cale doesn't have a bad reputation for science. It's getting better. Funny thing is that I have always looked down on it but with the applied degree you can get work experience within the NHS and it is approved by the HPC and accredited by the IBMS so I suppose it can't be that bad? My end goal is to work in an NHS lab so to be honest if Cale was to get me there I'd be happy with that. Thanks for the advice, will def be checking it out in more detail

How did you find the transition from the OU to traditional uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airyhead)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's good to know, I'll call around and find out what different unis would accept then

I'm kinda limited with where I can even apply. Got 2 kids and another on the way eek! So Glasgow is about as far as I can go (or UWS in Hamilton) From the little research I have done, Cale doesn't have a bad reputation for science. It's getting better. Funny thing is that I have always looked down on it but with the applied degree you can get work experience within the NHS and it is approved by the HPC and accredited by the IBMS so I suppose it can't be that bad? My end goal is to work in an NHS lab so to be honest if Cale was to get me there I'd be happy with that. Thanks for the advice, will def be checking it out in more detail

How did you find the transition from the OU to traditional uni?
    Have you talked to Glasgow? I think they may accept OU credits. Also, I would check out employment rates of graduates. All universities like a bit of spin, so definitely check out the different ranking tables [Guardian, Times etc.] I don't know Strathclyde too well, so not sure whether they do Sciences?

I think the transition was fine. I think the only shock was when I realised we had to go into the library ourselves . . .

ReputationRep:
    Most Unis will happily accept OU towards admission. It has a good reputation academically and the Unis know OU study takes determination and self-organistion. OU is a very common entry route for Mature students. You dont need any existing qualifications and its designed for people with other commitments like children, full-time jobs etc.

Check with each individual Uni/course to see what they will accept for admission as they are all different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brigantia)
    Have you talked to Glasgow? I think they may accept OU credits. Also, I would check out employment rates of graduates. All universities like a bit of spin, so definitely check out the different ranking tables [Guardian, Times etc.] I don't know Strathclyde too well, so not sure whether they do Sciences?

I think the transition was fine. I think the only shock was when I realised we had to go into the library ourselves . . .
    I'm sure that the biomedical graduate employment rate from Cale is 94% (don't quote me on that though) was thinking that seemed to good to be true so will check out some of those tables!

Okay daft question -

Should I email them or should I call? Also would I speak to the actual science school? Feel like I would be wasting their time asking about something I wouldn't even be applying for for at least 2 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Most Unis will happily accept OU towards admission. It has a good reputation academically and the Unis know OU study takes determination and self-organistion. OU is a very common entry route for Mature students. You dont need any existing qualifications and its designed for people with other commitments like children, full-time jobs etc.

Check with each individual Uni/course to see what they will accept for admission as they are all different.
    Just worried that with the lack of practical experience I would be at a disadvantage when applying to do an applied science? I do think the OU BSc Natural Science content looks way more interesting though :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Phone/email the undergraduate Admissions Office at a couple of your preferred Unis and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    Well...

Still not had a chance to contact any of the unis to find out anymore, will do so after the holidays. However I have finally found what I was looking for online :awesome: For access to a BSc degree at Strathclyde they will accept (on person by person basis) 60 credits at level 1 and above in relevant subject(s)!

Now to decide on what modules to do...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.