Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zakkaz)
    Hey guys, I'm aiming for an A* like many people here does anybody have stretch and challenge questions for this unit (F325) and the last unit (F324). Would really appreciate it. Also, does anybody have the past papers and markschemes for these two topics! Thanks!!!
    want to revise
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    No, you may be asked to write the equation and to get the number of coordinate bonds
    Okay, thanks for this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Okay, thanks for this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no worries! want to revise transition topic
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    no worries! want to revise transition topic
    Well I haven't completely covered it all just yet, so I need to learn it all, look back at it and then I'll start revising on it, I'm doing slightly better with unit 4 and only really need to revisit chromatography and then start the past papers with plenty of time to go

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't completely covered it all just yet, so I need to learn it all, look back at it and then I'll start revising on it, I'm doing slightly better with unit 4 and only really need to revisit chromatography and then start the past papers with plenty of time to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
    same!! any thing else shout out, did you get how to do half equations and ionic

ReputationRep:
    want to revise
    Yes please!

ReputationRep:
    Yes please!
    sure lets do transition

Suggest why the electron arrangements of copper and chromium are different compared to other transition metals (3)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    same!! any thing else shout out, did you get how to do half equations and ionic
    Will do and in transition metals? We've not even covered up to stereoisomerism as the teacher was off on Monday so just asked us to read it through and it made some sense but I just want a bit more detail to it all, however my teachers always seem to briefly explain things and not go into any detail whatsoever -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will do and in transition metals? We've not even covered up to stereoisomerism as the teacher was off on Monday so just asked us to read it through and it made some sense but I just want a bit more detail to it all, however my teachers always seem to briefly explain things and not go into any detail whatsoever -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh!! What me to explain or is it okay?

ReputationRep:
    sure lets do transition

Suggest why the electron arrangements of copper and chromium are different compared to other transition metals (3)
    Copper the 3d orbital is full but the 4s orbital only has on electron, chromium has a partially filled 3d orbital and the 4s orbital has one elctron neither orbital is filled

ReputationRep:
    Copper the 3d orbital is full but the 4s orbital only has on electron, chromium has a partially filled 3d orbital and the 4s orbital has one elctron neither orbital is filled
    what you said is correct but does not answer the question, it was that , the outer electrons in copper and chromium repel each other and hence increases stability of the copper and chromium atoms.

My turn

ReputationRep:
    A simple one:

State three properties of a transition metal? (3)

Since it's easy I'm going to be really harsh!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    ohh!! What me to explain or is it okay?
    If you wouldn't mind as it'll strengthen my understanding and you seem to know everything in great detail which is just what I need to get my very badly needed A!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A simple one:

State three properties of a transition metal? (3)

Since it's easy I'm going to be really harsh!
    good, I like you to be harsh

1) can form coloured compounds
    2) transition metals can act as catalysts
    3) variable oxidations states

ReputationRep:
    good, I like you to be harsh

1) can form coloured compounds
    2) transition metals can act as catalysts
    3) variable oxidations states
    2/3

I was looking for:

can form coloured compounds as the d-orbital is partially filled.

But the other two are good enough.

Your turn.

ReputationRep:
    If you wouldn't mind as it'll strengthen my understanding and you seem to know everything in great detail which is just what I need to get my very badly needed A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries

OK firstly, stereoisomers, you know the definition!

sometimes we are asked to identify which sterioisomer the complex ion forms, it can either be optical or cis-trans

to know which one it is , you have to know the 3 rules of optical isomers
    so, the 3 rules which is stated in your book is that
    1) Complex ion, either ion or molecule that contains 3 bidentate ligand
    2) complex ion, either ion or molecule that contains 2 bidentate and 2 monodentate ligands
    3) a complex ion with one hexadetate ligand,

so if it displays any of those rules above it is optical.

For example, we have [Ni(en)3]2+ this means that there are 3 bidentate ligands and the type of isomer is optical

if we have [Cu(h2o)4cl2] , this is cis-trans as it does not display any of those rules above.

got it so far

ReputationRep:
    2/3

I was looking for:

can form coloured compounds as the d-orbital is partially filled.

But the other two are good enough.

Your turn.
    Not sure, cause you mentioned the word state and not describe! so I would penalise you for the question as you said state and not describe
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    No worries

OK firstly, stereoisomers, you know the definition!

sometimes we are asked to identify which sterioisomer the complex ion forms, it can either be optical or cis-trans

to know which one it is , you have to know the 3 rules of optical isomers
    so, the 3 rules which is stated in your book is that
    1) Complex ion, either ion or molecule that contains 3 bidentate ligand
    2) complex ion, either ion or molecule that contains 2 bidentate and 2 monodentate ligands
    3) a complex ion with one hexadetate ligand,

so if it displays any of those rules above it is optical.

For example, we have [Ni(en)3]2+ this means that there are 3 bidentate ligands and the type of isomer is optical

if we have [Cu(h2o)4cl2] , this is cis-trans as it does not display any of those rules above.

got it so far
    Yeah that all makes sense so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that all makes sense so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so, which part are you not so sure on exactly? so i can explain to you

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, cause you mentioned the word state and not describe! so I would penalise you for the question as you said state and not describe
    Very true, but you never know if the examiner's decide to make the mark scheme slightly tougher, especially if too many people get it right. Just to be on the safe side.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.