Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Revision anyone, I'm in some need of some motivation and I'm hoping this'll help give me that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Revision anyone, I'm in some need of some motivation and I'm hoping this'll help give me that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bring it on brother
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    Bring it on brother
    Okay, what chapter do you want to go through? I've done all except from the majority of transition metals and redox titrations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, what chapter do you want to go through? I've done all except from the majority of transition metals and redox titrations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lets do chapter 1
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    lets do chapter 1
    Okay,

Define acid- base pair (2)
    Explain the effect of temperature on the rate constant (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay,

Define acid- base pair (2)
    Explain the effect of temperature on the rate constant (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1) acid base pair is where it differs by H+ and is where the two species transform into each other by the gain or loss of a proton.

2) increase temperature will result in an increase in the rate constant this is because the molecules or particles attain more energy for more collision due to more kinetic energy and so exceeds the activation energy and as a result more frequent effective successive collisions between molecules.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    1) acid base pair is where it differs by H+ and is where the two species transform into each other by the gain or loss of a proton.

2) increase temperature will result in an increase in the rate constant this is because the molecules or particles attain more energy for more collision due to more kinetic energy and so exceeds the activation energy and as a result more frequent effective successive collisions between molecules.
    That's correct, my turn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Man y'all know how much I love titration based questions right? If anyone needs help give me a heads up

ReputationRep:
    That's correct, my turn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ethanoic acid can be manufactured by the following reaction, which is carried out between 150 °C and 200 °C.
    CH3OH(g) + CO(g) ---> CH3COOH(g)

A mixture 17.6 moles of methanol and 19.6 moles of carbon monoxide is allowed to reach equilibrium at 175°C in a container with volume 5 dm3. It was found that 12.2 moles of ethanoic acid had been formed.

i) Write down an expression for Kc for this reaction
    ii) Calculate the concentrations of methanol and carbon monoxide present at equilibrium. Show your working.

iii) Hence calculate Kc (to 3 significant figures) including its units

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rival_)
    Man y'all know how much I love titration based questions right? If anyone needs help give me a heads up
    ask me some questions please

I have a question for you
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ethanoic acid can be manufactured by the following reaction, which is carried out between 150 °C and 200 °C.

A mixture 17.6 moles of methanol and 19.6 moles of carbon monoxide is allowed to reach equilibrium at 175°C in a container with volume 5 dm3. It was found that 12.2 moles of ethanoic acid had been formed.

i)Write down an expression for Kc for this reaction
    ii)Calculate the concentrations of methanol and carbon monoxide present at equilibrium. Show your working.

iii)Hence calculate Kc (to 3 significant figures) including its units
    My god, what a question!

Just let me get my notepad of paper to work it out and try not to laugh if I get it wrong as this'll probably be the first question I have done of this in quite some time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My god, what a question!

Just let me get my notepad of paper to work it out and try not to laugh if I get it wrong as this'll probably be the first question I have done of this in quite some time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am going to give you 2 minutes more or you would get 0!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

i)Write down an expression for Kc for this reaction
    ii)Calculate the concentrations of methanol and carbon monoxide present at equilibrium. Show your working.

iii)Hence calculate Kc (to 3 significant figures) including its units
    Okay let's see if this is correct.

i) Kc = [CH3COOH]/{[CH3OH][CO]}

ii) If there is 12.2 moles made up in equilibrium of ethanoic acid then there is only 5.4 moles and 7.4 moles left of methanol and carbon monoxide respectively. Then using n= CxV with the volume being 5dm3 you'd get the concentrations of 1.08 and 1.48 mol-1dm3 of methanol and carbon monoxide respectively.

iii) Then once subbing in all the values worked out and the conc of ethanoic acid being 2.44 mol-1dm3 then you'll get Kc = 1.53 (3sf) with units mol dm-3

How did I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay let's see if this is correct.

i) Kc = [CH3COOH]/{[CH3OH][CO]}

ii) If there is 12.2 moles made up in equilibrium of ethanoic acid then there is only 5.4 moles and 7.4 moles left of methanol and carbon monoxide respectively. Then using n= CxV with the volume being 5dm3 you'd get the concentrations of 1.08 and 1.48 mol-1dm3 of methanol and carbon monoxide respectively.

iii) Then once subbing in all the values worked out and the conc of ethanoic acid being 2.44 mol-1dm3 then you'll get Kc = 1.53 (3sf) with units mol dm-3

How did I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everything is perfect. However, your units are not correct, it should be dm3 mol-1. you did correct then you put a contradiction.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Everything is perfect. However, your units are not correct, it should be dm3 mol-1. you did correct then you put a contradiction.
    Darn I first put that on my notepad but thought I remembered the units for concentration wrong so rubbed it all out, maybe next time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Darn I first put that on my notepad but thought I remembered the units for concentration wrong so rubbed it all out, maybe next time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries

My turn
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    No worries

My turn
    Okay, here we go.

Nitrogen monoxide and oxygen react together as in the overall equation below:
    2NO(g) + O2(g) -------> 2NO2(g)
    The rate equation for this reaction is rate =k[NO]^2

a) Explain what is meant by rate-determining step
    b) What does the rate equation tell you about the rate determining step?
    c) Suggest a possible two step mechanism for this reaction? (6)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here we go.

Nitrogen monoxide and oxygen react together as in the overall equation below:
    2NO(g) + O2(g) -------> 2NO2(g)
    The rate equation for this reaction is rate =k[NO]^2

a) Explain what is meant by rate-determining step
    b) What does the rate equation tell you about the rate determining step?
    c) Suggest a possible two step mechanism for this reaction? (6)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1) rate- determining step is the slowest step reaction mechanism in a multi-step reaction.

2) the rate equation gives the species that are present in the reactant side of the slowest step and the rate also indicates the number of moles of the species in the reactants in the slowest step.

3) NO + NO ---> N2O4 slowest step
    N2O4 ---> NO2+ NO2 fastest

overall 2NO+O2 --> 2NO2 ?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    1) rate- determining step is the slowest step reaction mechanism in a multi-step reaction.

2) the rate equation gives the species that are present in the reactant side of the slowest step and the rate also indicates the number of moles of the species in the reactants in the slowest step.

3) NO + NO ---> N2O4 slowest step
    N2O4 ---> NO2+ NO2 fastest

overall 2NO+O2 --> 2NO2 ?
    Yeah that's all correct, my turn

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's all correct, my turn

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How does buffer work using example of methanoic acid and NaOH (4)

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.