Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Well that paper was absolutely vile! It wasn't too bad until I got to the last few questions then it all just fell apart! :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find the curve drawing for the titration and what did you get for n the last question
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    How did you find the curve drawing for the titration and what did you get for n the last question
    Pretty simple as the first was a strong acid base one and the second was a weak acid strong base one. I got n = 2 but not through many calculations, more from the knowledge of the oxidation states and colours of Vanadium. I probably won't get much of anything for that though :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pretty simple as the first was a strong acid base one and the second was a weak acid strong base one. I got n = 2 but not through many calculations, more from the knowledge of the oxidation states and colours of Vanadium. I probably won't get much of anything for that though :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes that is correct, and did you get magnesium for the 5 mark question with the chromium
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes that is correct, and did you get magnesium for the 5 mark question with the chromium
    I'm sure it was only 4 marks and I couldn't see how I could do it, so I guessed with copper :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it was only 4 marks and I couldn't see how I could do it, so I guessed with copper :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh , that was a tough one, what do you think you got, I think the Jan 2013 was the more difficult paper out of all the years especially it makes it difficult under exam conditions
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    oh , that was a tough one, what do you think you got, I think the Jan 2013 was the more difficult paper out of all the years especially it makes it difficult under exam conditions
    Like probably not even half? Just an appalling attempt really :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Like probably not even half? Just an appalling attempt really :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi guys, just wondering if you could help me on a question. On the june 2011 paper question 4dii, and 4e (how do you know it's lactic acid?)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by master y)
    Hi guys, just wondering if you could help me on a question. On the june 2011 paper question 4dii, and 4e (how do you know it's lactic acid?)

Thank you
    I presume this is the magic tang question this is because Pka value is equivalent to the PH value

ReputationRep:
    I presume this is the magic tang question this is because Pka value is equivalent to the PH value
    yeah... how do you that pka = pH
    Also, you can still get marks for saying like acetic acid for example?... I think i got 4/6 marks... not really sure, so would have got 5/6 if i said lactic

ReputationRep:
    yeah... how do you that pka = pH
    Also, you can still get marks for saying like acetic acid for example?... I think i got 4/6 marks... not really sure, so would have got 5/6 if i said lactic
    Because both are involved in the anti log

ReputationRep:
    If Your revising now, YOU WILL FAIL , IT IS TOO LATE!

ReputationRep:
    Who dislike, it is the harsh truth!

Viva La India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0ls)
    Question 8(c)(ii)
    Moles of KMnO4 = 13.2/1000 x (2.25 x 10^-2) = 2.97 x 10^-4
    Moles of Vn (50cm) = 0.126/50.9 = 2.47 x 10^-3
    Moles of Vn (10cm sample) = 2.47 x 10^-3 / 5 = 4.95 x 10^-4

Therefore we have VN (4.95) : KMnO4 (2.95) (both with x 10^-4) so we roughly have a 5 : 3 ratio

We know in MnO4 that the electron transfer is + 5e-, we have 3 moles. So we have 15e- being transferred.
    Therfore in 5 moles of Vn2+ we have 15e-. 15/5 = 3. Therefore we must have 3e- being transferred.

VO3- has a V state of +5, so if we take away these 3 electrons then we have an oxidation state of 2+. This is also clarified by the violet colour of the solution which is given in the question.

Half equation: MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e- ----> Mn2+ + 4H20
    Half Equation: Vn2+ 3H20 -----> V03- + 6H+ + 3e-
    Overall eq: 3MN04- + 5Vn2+ + 3H20 -----> 6H+ + 5V03- + 3Mn2+
    Oh God
    But how could you tell the ratio was 5:3???
    I mean I wouldnt have realised the ratio was 5:3 from looking at ration 1.67.
    Is there another way of finding that out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0ls)
    6e)
    Firstly we know SO4 ions have a charge of -2, this means we are looking for a metal with a +2 charge.

Chromium half cell: Cr3+(aq) + 3e- --> Cr(s) (as electrode gained mass)
    Therefore X Half cell: X(s) --> X2+(aq) + 2e- (as electrode loses mass)

From balancing these two to form an equation we can deduce:
    3X(s) + 2Cr3+(aq) ------> 3X2+(aq) + 2Cr(s)

So we know we have a 3:2 (X:CR) ratio.

Number of moles of CR: 1.456/52 = 0.028 mol
    Number of moles of X: 0.028 x 1.5 = 0.0420 mol
    Therefore: mass/moles = MR so 1.021/0.0420 = 24.3 therefore must be MG!

I struggled with this too, but I was gobsmacked with how it easy it was once my friend explained!
    Ah thank you, it seems so simple when you explain it like that I look back at my mock and there are so many simple mistakes made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gulzar)
    Oh God

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here, I wouldn't have thought to put 1.67 into a fraction to get 5/3 so 5:3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gulzar)
    Oh God

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's just the ratio of moles. You round up the two numbers of moles to the nearest whole number and compare them. I may have made it seem more complicated than it is.

ReputationRep:
    I do a great deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0ls)
    6e)
    Firstly we know SO4 ions have a charge of -2, this means we are looking for a metal with a +2 charge.

Chromium half cell: Cr3+(aq) + 3e- --> Cr(s) (as electrode gained mass)
    Therefore X Half cell: X(s) --> X2+(aq) + 2e- (as electrode loses mass)

From balancing these two to form an equation we can deduce:
    3X(s) + 2Cr3+(aq) ------> 3X2+(aq) + 2Cr(s)

So we know we have a 3:2 (X:CR) ratio.

Number of moles of CR: 1.456/52 = 0.028 mol
    Number of moles of X: 0.028 x 1.5 = 0.0420 mol
    Therefore: mass/moles = MR so 1.021/0.0420 = 24.3 therefore must be MG!

I struggled with this too, but I was gobsmacked with how it easy it was once my friend explained!

Thank you
    ^^ Can i ask you to help me on my question please? Thank you!!

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    4d(ii) Well, we have two carboxylic acid groups on the molecule, in acid dissociation we have two possibility: Either one group dissociates, or both dissociates.

Pka= 1.23 (this shows the strongest acid ph, therefore we can conclude that this is the molecule where we keep one carboxylic acid group.
    C2H2O4 ---> C2HO4- + H+

Pka+ 4.19 (well this has a less acidic ph, so we know that is the molecule where we have lost both carboxylic acid groups)
    C2HO4- ----> C2O42- + H+

(I was told to do the second equation as if the first carboxylic acid group had already been lost, i'm sure you can do it straight from the C2H2O4)

ReputationRep:
    hi,can Anyone send me the jan 2013 paper?
    please and thank you

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.