The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
What's a precipitation reaction?
Original post by Emma2129
What's a precipitation reaction?

i think its where 2 soluble substances react to form an insoluble salt? anyon correct me here:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by otrivine
Hi :smile:

Okay what you do is this:-

1) You can use the formula for buffers, I use [H+]=Ka x [HA]/[A-]
2) We have Ka, thats fine , we need to get the concentrations of HA and A-
3) Before we do that, we need to get the moles of the butaneoic acid and the NaOH
4) The moles of butanoic acid is 0.0125 and the moles of NaOH is 2.5x10-3
5) now using your knowledge of buffers, we know that some acid remains in solution and hence, the acid is in excess and so we substract the moles of butanoic acid and NaOH to get the moles of butanoic acid that has reacted with NaOH.
6) so the new mole of butanoic acid is 0.01 and the moles of NaOH is the same 2.5 x 10-3, but we have to get the concentration so we divide by the volume which would be 100cm3(0.1dm3) , this is because there is 50cm3 of butanoic acid and 50cm3 of NaOH , so we add the volumes.
7) Now that you got the concentration just sub the values into the Ph buffer formula and you get the value of [H+] and then do the -log[H+] which should give 4.22 correct to 2 decimal place

please tell me if you are unsure :smile:

aah thank you for this brilliant step-by-step explanation, i remember you on the AS threads for last year :smile: May i ask what you've applied to do at uni? Was it med or pharmacy? :smile: x
Reply 1403
Original post by Member427
ahh that makes so much sense now thank you so much, so if a question says for example potassium is oxidised we assume it turns into k^1+ ? And also will it be the same for chlorine as well if it says cl is reduced it goes to cl^1- ?

You're welcome, that's what I'd do, so yes :smile:
Reply 1404
Original post by master y
i think its where 2 soluble substances react to form an insoluble salt? anyon correct me here:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

wouldn't produce a salt, 'compound' would probably do. I would say where two solutions react to form an insoluble compound.
Reply 1405
Hi :smile:

Okay what you do is this:-

1) You can use the formula for buffers, I use [H+]=Ka x [HA]/[A-]
2) We have Ka, thats fine , we need to get the concentrations of HA and A-
3) Before we do that, we need to get the moles of the butaneoic acid and the NaOH
4) The moles of butanoic acid is 0.0125 and the moles of NaOH is 2.5x10-3
5) now using your knowledge of buffers, we know that some acid remains in solution and hence, the acid is in excess and so we substract the moles of butanoic acid and NaOH to get the moles of butanoic acid that has reacted with NaOH.
6) so the new mole of butanoic acid is 0.01 and the moles of NaOH is the same 2.5 x 10-3, but we have to get the concentration so we divide by the volume which would be 100cm3(0.1dm3) , this is because there is 50cm3 of butanoic acid and 50cm3 of NaOH , so we add the volumes.
7) Now that you got the concentration just sub the values into the Ph buffer formula and you get the value of [H+] and then do the -log[H+] which should give 4.22 correct to 2 decimal place

please tell me if you are unsure :smile:

omg thank you, finally makes sense :smile: I never knew what to do after I found the first set of number of moles :biggrin:
Reply 1406
Could someone please help on the

Specimen Paper - My Mistakes - Any advice appreciated

Q1aiii - Deduce the intial rate of FORMATION of O2 ?
They do a division by 4 but I don't know why? :s-smilie:

Q3ii Suggest why methanol is added to petrol
Their Answer: Adds Oxygen?
I don't understand why

Q6d- AS MOLAR Equations :frown: This is the most important
AS Molar Equations I have a difficulty with these could anyone please break this down for me - it would be much appreciated or give me any tips!
Reply 1407
Original post by Pride
wouldn't produce a salt, 'compound' would probably do. I would say where two solutions react to form an insoluble compound.

Examples you might need to know:

Fe^2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq) ------> Fe(OH)2 (s)
green ------> green precipitate

Co^2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq) ------> Co(OH)2 (s)
pink ------> light blue ppt

Fe^3+ (aq) + 3OH- (aq) --------> Fe(OH)3 (s)
yellow -------> brown ppt

Cu^2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq) -------> Cu(OH)2 (s)
light blue -------> dark blue ppt

:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ofudge
4Ci) jan 13
"how does S2082- and I- catalysed by Fe2+?
- I got the first one as Fe2+ has higher E theta than S208

but in the mark scheme, the second one is 2Fe3+ + 2I- --> 2Fe2+ + I2

Surely ^^ is being catalysed by fe3+ and not fe2+?

no because fe2+ is regenerated showing that fe2+ is the catalyst
Reply 1409
I want someone to revise with. I can't not get an A on this exam.
Original post by H0ls
I want someone to revise with. I can't not get an A on this exam.

how have you been doing on past papers?
Reply 1411
how have you been doing on past papers?

I haven't done any for a couple of weeks. I'm getting between 70-80. So I need to really crack on.
Original post by H0ls
I haven't done any for a couple of weeks. I'm getting between 70-80. So I need to really crack on.

They' re good marks, that's an A!
m

please can you explain clock reactions to me?
Reply 1414
They' re good marks, that's an A!

I know, but I don't want to slip up in the exam. I always seem to drop a couple of marks due to the pressure. So I want to be hitting in the 90's so I can not give myself panic attacks until results day haha.
Reply 1415
I'm really worried for this exam, I have an exam on Monday, Tuesday and stupid general on Wednesday morning before chemistry, feeling a little panicky tbh :/
Original post by bluedate
I'm really worried for this exam, I have an exam on Monday, Tuesday and stupid general on Wednesday morning before chemistry, feeling a little panicky tbh :/

I know how you feel! I have M1 Monday, Gen Studies Wednesday morn, then Chemistry in the afternoon and C4 on Thursday.
3 of the exams I'm most scared for all within days of each other and general studies in the morning is just a pain because I could be doing last minute chemistry revision or catching up on sleep!
Reply 1417

If I can get all my errors cleared once I've re-done the papers it should go allright.

I really really need to get Chem 4 Papers done :frown:

Can anyone else who's going for an A/A* tell me when I should get the Chem 4 Papers it would be much appreciated.

Also posted a question up earlier if Mathsnerd or Funtry can help me out. You guys are really good.
please can you explain clock reactions to me?

Sure

A clock reaction, is you want to time how long it takes for a colour change, ppt or a solid to disappear, so you start the time and when ever a change happens you stop the watch.
To get the rate , rate is proportional to 1/t. During this reaction you have to vary the reactant and keep the other reactant constant. Then you plot a rate against concentration graph.

Come on , you know everything, so relax, you have been very helpful in helping lots of people :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending