The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Original post by Lehal
Hey there,
sorry about the wait.. haven't checked this since.. and well.. I should have put 2HNO3 in the reactants .. to balance ..
for the second equation.. sorry, I forget to add that.. the question suggests that a precipitate forms.. so, u should know that the carbonate formed is going to be the solid as it is a precipitate.. and in order to form this carbonate.. u gnna have to use CO32- ions.. as this is present in the carbonate.. as it is a 2- charge.. u can then use the Cu2+ to balance.. and u get Cu2+(aq) + CO32(aq)- --> CuCO3(s)

did that make sense??

Thank you, I think I get it now :smile:
Original post by bluedate
I know right, I have most of my exams right after each other, whats worse is that I have a psychology unit 4 (2hrs) and Bio unit 5 (2hrs 15m) on the 17th and I've only done revision for the bio since I'm focusing mainly on chemistry :s-smilie:

I have 3 exams in a row on the 17th (Bio unit 4), 18th (C3) and 19th (Chem unit 4).
I feel bad because I've been focusing on Chemistry and I feel like my maths grade will suffer :frown:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm sure you needed to know them for the first part of that question which asked you to explain why there wasn't a colour change or you didn't know when the thing changed, etc and wasn't this because the V2+ state is violet in colour which is similar to Mn in the 7+ state.

But that is not fair, as our teacher and syllabus did not say we should learn the colour for vanadium, or titanium, only we had to know about the iron,cobalt e.t.c:mad:
I'm sure you needed to know them for the first part of that question which asked you to explain why there wasn't a colour change or you didn't know when the thing changed, etc and wasn't this because the V2+ state is violet in colour which is similar to Mn in the 7+ state.

ohh I think I guessed that and got lucky :lol:
ocr better not do this -_- i'll be furious if we get anything not on the spec
although i think theres something about colour change with redox titrations-have a look to double check :smile:
Original post by otrivine
But that is not fair, as our teacher and syllabus did not say we should learn the colour for vanadium, or titanium, only we had to know about the iron,cobalt e.t.c:mad:

ill confirm with my teacher tomorrow :smile: there are some coloru change tests on a page somewhere in redox titrations
if not, then ocr are being unreasonable and I shall be getting revenge if we get a paper thats not fair -_-

I just learn it all so they can't catch me off guard at all, they still do though :-/

Original post by MedMed12
although i think theres something about colour change with redox titrations-have a look to double check :smile:

we do NOT need to learn the colours, the violet colour was mentioned in the question for the Vn+ thingy.

Well you are a lucky one then and you could figure it out by the information but I'd rather just know the colours so it doesn't take any time to work it out :tongue: Lets nail this exam! I'll try to anyway
Original post by master y
we do NOT need to learn the colours, the violet colour was mentioned in the question for the Vn+ thingy.

phewww thought so :P

they can't bring up something which isnt taught! i need to relearn the colour tests lol
I just learn it all so they can't catch me off guard at all, they still do though :-/

Agree, might as well memorise the colours then regret later :smile:
phewww thought so :P

they can't bring up something which isnt taught! i need to relearn the colour tests lol

What are the colour tests exactly? And I thought they could as an application question as an A* standard?
Agree, might as well memorise the colours then regret later :smile:

Yeah that's how I see it really :tongue:
Reply 1452
Original post by bluedate
Examples you might need to know:

Fe^2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq) ------> Fe(OH)2 (s)
green ------> green precipitate

Co^2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq) ------> Co(OH)2 (s)
pink ------> light blue ppt

Fe^3+ (aq) + 3OH- (aq) --------> Fe(OH)3 (s)
yellow -------> brown ppt

Cu^2+ (aq) + 2OH- (aq) -------> Cu(OH)2 (s)
light blue -------> dark blue ppt

:biggrin:

Ok, I'm not sure why you've sent me those... Those aren't salts?
What are the colour tests exactly? And I thought they could as an application question as an A* standard?

but it still has too be on the spec -_- that would be pure evil if its not, but i wouldnt doubt it..probs will but theres only soo much one can know?! theres 1000s of related things out there that are not on own spec but are related
like the purple to colourless to pale pink for one
starch one
but it still has too be on the spec -_- that would be pure evil if its not, but i wouldnt doubt it..probs will but theres only soo much one can know?! theres 1000s of related things out there that are not on own spec but are related
like the purple to colourless to pale pink for one
starch one

Surely they're both straightforward and in the book as an example so you've just got to learn it a certain way and you'll be fine? The hardest parts for me are the electrode parts, not the calculations just the explanation parts.
Reply 1455
Original post by Funtry
Can you link me to the paper, I can't seem to find it on the OCR website! Italicised and spoilered the 2 I can answer, can't see the third one.

Found it! Here you go bro:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/81033-unit-f325-equilibria-energetics-and-elements-specimen.pdf

Any help on The molar question would be great; thanks so much.

I am still not sure I understand that Rate of Formation. Does that mean if they asked for the rate of formation of Methenal then is would be (Rate)x4

Do you always have to put the Ratios in terms of integers?

Side Note: MasterY - Wow your school made you sit 3 mock papers for Chem 4. That is absolutely insane.
Reply 1456
Original post by Pride
Ok, I'm not sure why you've sent me those... Those aren't salts?

They are precipitate reactions... don't know why I sent them, but they're useful I guess :tongue:
Reply 1457
hey,
make sure you revise chem 4 before doing past papers, the recent spec theres only 5 or 6, so do the old spec and dont do them too early or youll get bored/nothing left.
hate chem4 -_- now that we've done chem5

Thank you for the tip! All help is appreciated for Chem 4 :O
Surely they're both straightforward and in the book as an example so you've just got to learn it a certain way and you'll be fine? The hardest parts for me are the electrode parts, not the calculations just the explanation parts.

the theory is fine its just how the use application -_-
i guess it goes back to know the basics in detail and understanding
really? Oh i love that stuff and some of the calc stuff like q8 on the jan paper are my weakness
if only we could share brains or something haha
Original post by Better
Thank you for the tip! All help is appreciated for Chem 4 :O

for now im focusing on unit 5 as its the one which weighs more
:/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending