Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have done a joint law degree and obtained a 2:1 two years ago, in the mean time I have done a completely different job to earn money, gain experience/enlarge skill set and also do some traveling. I don't regret taking the break as I have got so much out of it but ultimately I want a career in law.

Now I am trying to decide whether to do the LPC this year. I have found when looking at jobs in the legal sector that without an LPC it is hard to get a foot in the door; for instance these days to apply for a paralegal job nearly all adverts request that the applicant has completed their LPC. Thus I feel that to complete the LPC is the best option out there. What I am asking, from those that have done it, are if it has opened up opportunities for them, enabled them to gain experience as paralegals or secure a training contract? Or are many still struggling to get noticed in such a competitive marketplace?

Any and all advice would be fantastic thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I did the LPC without a TC lined up and do believe that it helped me to get interviews and a paralegal job which eventually became a TC. It was a long slog though.

It is a very competitive market and not one to enter without your eyes wide open. What type of firm do you want to work for and do you have funding for the LPC?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response it helps :-) ideally I would prefer a small/high street firm, and I plan on self funding it through savings. but yes I understand it's a long road to the ultimate goal.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fairly typical route into high street law as a lot of smaller firms prefer to offer TCs to existing staff. It can be hard to make the jump from paralegal to solicitor though and there are some firms that will offer paralegal jobs with a view to a TC that just never materialises so you do have to be quite persistent.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.