Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi when I was 3 my mom died, so I moved in with my Nan. Unexpectedly she sadly passed away on 17th February 2013. This has caused big stress has not only did I live with her I have got no other family to move in with. At the moment me and my family are sorting out somewhere for me to live, but I have my exams coming up and finding it hard to study with all this going on. Would the exam bored give me so much extra marks in my exam to help me not achieve an u. Like say they would give 15 marks or would I not be entitled to some extra marks.? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hey you)
    Hi when I was 3 my mom died, so I moved in with my Nan. Unexpectedly she sadly passed away on 17th February 2013. This has caused big stress has not only did I live with her I have got no other family to move in with. At the moment me and my family are sorting out somewhere for me to live, but I have my exams coming up and finding it hard to study with all this going on. Would the exam bored give me so much extra marks in my exam to help me not achieve an u. Like say they would give 15 marks or would I not be entitled to some extra marks.? Thanks
    I wasn't even aware that exam boards would EVER give out extra marks no matter what the circumstance is :/...

ReputationRep:
    You've already made a thread on this, why make another? I've told you they can only award up to 5% which is perhaps the difference between a U and an E, it sucks but thats exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyOnGuitar)
    I wasn't even aware that exam boards would EVER give out extra marks no matter what the circumstance is :/...
    I believe that there is special consideration, which your exam officer can enter you for, whereby you can get up to 5% extra marks.

However there are additional requirements for A-Level students

More information can be found here:
    http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/files/2012-...xam-series.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyOnGuitar)
    To put in the a level forum. The other one was not

ReputationRep:
    awwh im sorry for your loss...
    just out of interest,what exams do you have in march?are you in college,because im sure AS/A2 exams(apart from the evil EMPAS/ISA's) dont start till middle of may-june so you'v got time d.w
    :bl::bl:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry

I don't think you can be given extra marks, per se, but you'll probably be able to apply for extenuating circumstances.

However, I'm pretty sure this only applies if personal circumstances hinder you during the actual exam period, rather than in the run-up to the exams.

ReputationRep:
    Try contacting the uni/job you want to go to. They may give you special consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rumaanaa)
    awwh im sorry for your loss...
    just out of interest,what exams do you have in march?are you in college,because im sure AS/A2 exams(apart from the evil EMPAS/ISA's) dont start till middle of may-june so you'v got time d.w
    :bl::bl:
    Ive got to sort Out my living arrangements

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Spiggy

Get school to contact your firm and insurance universities now, explaining the difficult circumstances that you are going through

Your head of sixth could call/email the admissions tutors

In addition, school can ask the exam boards for special consideration but that would be of less use to you

ReputationRep:
    I am really sorry for your loss. It must be a very difficult and uncertain time for you. Hope you can manage to sort out your living arrangements asap.

Firstly, let the exam officer of your school/ college know. They will stamp each of your exam papers, so that you may be given a certain minimum of marks. ( ? 5%). comes up to 1 raw mark or 6 ums per paper.---I think

If you are in A2 , you should contact the admissions officer at the uni, or better still, ask your head teacher to do that for you. I am sure they will give consideration.
    one of the girls taking GCSEs last year, lost her mum in March. She got the extra marks in each of her papers.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The rules are laid down here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/a...-consideration. The absolute maximum you can get would be 5% on the units you are entered for in the summer. You need to talk to the exams officer at your school who will have to apply for this but it is not possible to apply for this until after the exam has taken place so there is no great hurry. The difficulty is that special consideration is meant to cover a problem that occurs at the time of the exams and they may not accept an application for something that happened weeks before - you can but try. However, I would talk to your head of 6th as university admissions officers may be more flexible.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.