Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone, firstly i apologise if this is in the wrong place.
    *Also this may be rather lengthy due to i've had a lot of time to think*

I'm currently studying a Fashion & Textiles BTEC National Diploma Level 3 and Predicted DDD at the end of my course, which is all well and grand but i did my university choices.

The results were:
    London College of Fashion - Design Tech Pattern Cutting - Conditional
    LCF - Design Technology Womenswear - Conditional
    UCA Rochester - Fashion Atelier - Conditional
    UCA Rochester - Fashion Design - Conditional
    UCA Rochester - Creative Arts for Film and Theatre - Conditional

Pattern cutting is one of my strengths i've found but during my work i've also developed a love for Haute Couture work.

Now everyone i've spoken to has said 'You can't turn down LCF' i'm not sure why that is. I didn't apply because of the name but just to see if i would get into a london based course.

I have a lot of worries that i'm going to go wrong and pick the wrong course out of the 5 i've so far declined 2, being:

LCF - Design Technology Womenswear
    UCA Rochester - Creative Arts for Film and Theatre

Now i live in Kent not too far from medway so i know the Rochester area well, plus my current employer Argos can transfer me to various stores in the area.

The pattern cutting course from LCF i wanted to do but after talking to many students from there or been to LCF they all seemed to have negative experiences which has put me off the idea of London living and studying, sadly so i think i've ruled out LCF.

My issue lies with the two UCA courses. At my interview i told i was a great candidate for both choices with a strong selection of work in which adheres to both courses.
    The problem lies in the employability afterwards, or shouldn't i be worrying about this so much? I am 23 mind you.

Firstly the Fashion Design course offers good industrial links, they've had many successful students and use the software Gerber for anyone who wants to make it into the pattern cutting industry.
    From talking with the course leader, i got the impresssion the course does not teach the high quality skills needed to put some of my designs together, a lot of mine are quite unique and big i guess you could say.

The Atelier course teaches me the fundamentals of the 'Fashion Atelier' in regards to tailoring and 'couture dress-making' but when i went to UCA i discovered it more weighs in on the tailoring side with every project from both 1st and 2nd years being tailoring projects. Now i'm not too fond of tailoring and my current tutor says it wouldn't benefit me. Though the soft fabric manipulation and sewing is what captures me. As soo many people do fashion design courses and i've never seen a course like this elsewhere. The industry links are just the same as the fashion design course but i lose out on the digital side of the fashion industry, such as Gerber.

So i can do the fashion design course gain Gerber as a skill have slightly more employability chance and still enjoy the course but lose out on a skill i so wish to have. Or i can do the fashion atelier course and gain the skills and knowledge to make such garments that i design but lose out on the digital side, which the industry now wants.
    Sadly they won't allow me to self-teach myself gerber or sit it on Gerber software classes if i were to pick the atelier course.

So can anyone help with such a hard decision?
    Mainly just looking for opinions or guidance. I still know it's my choice at the end but if you were in the same situation what would you choose?

Anyone who can lend a hand or an opinion is welcome as i truly am really stuck and i've spoken to 3 different tutors, the UCA staff, my course leaders and friends and family and they all seem to just shrug or we make countless mindmaps of pros and cons

Fashion Atelier Course Link - http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/ba-fashion-atelier

Fashion Design Course Link - http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/ba-fashion-design

Regards
    Matt

P.S - Thank You for taking the time to read this.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Since they're both at the same uni you can probably swap later, so you don't really have to decide now.

Sent from my GT-S5363

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.