Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

B546 - Health and Social Care Repeal Bill 2013 Watch

• Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    B546 - Health and Social Care Repeal Bill 2013, TSR Government

Health and Social Care Repeal Act 2013

An Act to repeal the Health and Social Care Act 2012.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Part I: Organisation of the National Health Service
    1 Repeal;
    (1) The Health and Social Care Act 2012 is hereby repealed.

Part II: Miscellaneous
    2 Commencement;
    (1) This Act takes effect immediately.

3 Short title;
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Health and Social Care Repeal Act 2013.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Why? What advantage will this bring? Will it improve front line services? Will it mean that the customer is treated in a superior way? Is you objection to this purely ideological? Why the whole bill? Why not certain parts? Why no notes?

ReputationRep:
    Some explanation of why this is a good idea would not go amiss here.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone link me to the original bill? I can't for the life of me find it via the search or looking through the old forum pages.

I am very much for this, from what I understand it has caused more issues than solved, it has also given too much power to the GPs whom should not have such power... presuming this is the real life bill you are repealing? I couldn't see it in the Hansard so I presume it is

ReputationRep:
    Now it makes sense. This needs clarification & explanation.

ReputationRep:
    biggest aye of the decade from me!

ReputationRep:
    Certain Aye! And yes, this is repealing the real-life Bill often referred to as "Lansleycare"
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Why? What advantage will this bring? Will it improve front line services? Will it mean that the customer is treated in a superior way? Is you objection to this purely ideological? Why the whole bill? Why not certain parts? Why no notes?
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Some explanation of why this is a good idea would not go amiss here.
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    Now it makes sense. This needs clarification & explanation.
    If enacted, this bill would repeal the Health and Social Care Act 2012. The Act in question has not yet entered into effect, and so this change would not have any effect on the provision of healthcare in Britain.

It is the belief of this Government that, scientifically speaking, there is no evidence to suggest that the enforcement of the Health Act would do anything other than ratchet-up the costs of healthcare and decrease the efficiency of the National Health Service. The Act would precipitate the mass outsourcing of healthcare and administrative services to the private sector, and thus add to the costs of providing these services whilst also removing them from democratic control and accountability. The Act provides no means of evaluating the value-for-money of outsourced services, as the necessary details are kept secret through 'commercial confidentiality' agreements, and all of the franchisees will be exempted from the Freedom of Information Act. We reckon that the Act greatly increases the potential for corruption within the health service. Additionally, it is estimated that the cost of market-based health care will soon reach 20% of the NHS budget, which is - in our view - money ill-spent at a time when cuts are being made to frontline medical services.

There are also moral reasons to be disillusioned with the Act: firstly, it will make wealth a much larger determinant of the quality of care received by patients, as the number of private beds in hospitals would vastly rise. Secondly, it will create large remuneration disparities between doctors by creating a caste of 'businessmen physicians' who will no longer be payed according to the value of the medical care they provide - a change that doctors themselves vociferously object to.

We would like to focus on increasing the number of medical professionals, rather than businessmen, involved in the NHS, whilst also increasing the quality of care rather than the cost of providing it.

ReputationRep:
    Aye!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As Rakas said, I don't see the need for this, and the NHS shouldn't be subjected to yet more top-down reorganisation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    As Rakas said, I don't see the need for this, and the NHS shouldn't be subjected to yet more top-down reorganisation.
    The Act hasn't been implemented yet; the entire point of repealing it now is to prevent this top-down reorganisation from happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GPs cannot manage an appointment system adequately in my experience. I would not let them manage larger budgets.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.