Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What party do you support and why? [POLL] Watch

• View Poll Results: What Party do you support?
    Conservative
    23.64%
    Labour
    29.09%
    Liberal Democrats
    12.73%
    UKIP
    16.36%
    The Green Party
    12.73%
    BNP/EDL
    3.64%
    British Communist Party
    1.82%

ReputationRep:
    Knife Party.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Conservative.

Why? Because they are fiscally competent, willing to make hard decisions and engage in radical reform, have to some degree dropped the social conservatism and on a fundamental level i just agree with them ideologically.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Conservative.

Why? Because they are fiscally competent, willing to make hard decisions and engage in radical reform, have to some degree dropped the social conservatism and on a fundamental level i just agree with them ideologically.
    Yet they've given us a long protracted recession using an economic policy that has almost always failed historically in just the same way it's failing us now. They've given us possibly the worst chancellor this country has seen that keeps increasing borrowing while being unable to create growth and you call that competent? What would you consider to be incompetent?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Yet they've given us a long protracted recession using an economic policy that has almost always failed historically in just the same way it's failing us now. They've given us possibly the worst chancellor this country has seen that keeps increasing borrowing while being unable to create growth and you call that competent? What would you consider to be incompetent?
    Fiscally competent in this case refers relatively to the alternative.

It's true that he's not taking anything like an optimal approach but he's certainly not the worst chancellor and this recession is at best shallow if not flat.

Compared to having Brown or Balls around i'd still prefer Osbourne.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Labour supporter, but my heart lies further left. I just accept that the Lib Dems have lost a lot of credibility in the Coalition, and am being pragmatic.

My ideals include:

- Reforming the political system (electorate reform, reduced monarchic powers, u16 votes, HoL reform, etc.)
    - Clamping down on transnational corporations and banks, tightening regulation and adding the mansion tax.
    - Prevent the privatisation of elements of NHS and prisons
    - Limiting influence of religious groups
    - More generous welfare system & tighter controls on tax evasion

ReputationRep:
    UKIP, because I believe in more power for the individual and less power for the state.

ReputationRep:
    Eh... Green, but who I personally support and who I'm planning on voting for at the next general election are two different things. I love Green transport policy, education policy, foreign policy and I whole-heartedly support anything that helps the environment, but right now my salient issue has to be the economy...sort of... and I don't trust them with that.

I had been planning on voting Tory at the next election for this reason, but apparently it turns out my salient issue [I]isn't[I] the economy, as I wont support a party planning on an EU referendum as the inevitable outcome would be us leaving the EU, which I think would be an awful idea. This over-rules my need for the economy to be somewhat back on track, and so I can't right now bring myself to say I'd vote for them at the next election.

Labour... 2 words: Ed Milliband. More words: Nervous, non-charismatic wreck. And awful economic policy.

Lib Dem: Look at the tuition fees I'll have amounted in three years time. Yes, I know the Tories did that, but they said they'd at least try to oppose it, and they were too busy trying to get electoral reform - for a voting system they themselves didn't like or believe in - to try and argue for it in the coalition deal. Just no.

Unfortunately this leaves me in a difficult place. I'm just glad I have another two years to think about this.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  reded1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  230.6 KB

Our glorious leader Ed Miliband 2015 !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    I'm a Conservative...

My reasons for this would basically be a list of right wing ideals, so I'll leave it at that.
    This, but:

I actually favour the idea of public services, I would have more than at present, as I think it's useful to set a standard. For example, I'd have kept BT, I'd definitely have a Broadband provider (BT would have served that) etc.

These wouldn't be free, of course, there would then be no scope for competition, but they would exist in order to encourage innovation and competition in each sector.

Traditionally, I realise of course that this is not such a Conservative stance.

Also, I'm pro EU-exit, but not right now. I don't know how I will vote, because I don't think we should exit in the current climate, but I would worry that if we didn't vote that way now, we may not get the choice again...

ReputationRep:
    The Conservatives are the ****ty side of human nature expressed in a political party.

ReputationRep:
    Tory, but only just, I agree with some policy and I can understand the need for tuition fees (sort of) but I feel it isn't politics dragging the country down, its the media, they slate anyone in power and create negativity, when to get out a recession you need confidence and motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Conservative - I don't agree with all of their policies but on the whole they are the most competent of all of the parties. Their ideology appeals to me the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razza1333)
    Tory, but only just, I agree with some policy and I can understand the need for tuition fees (sort of) but I feel it isn't politics dragging the country down, its the media, they slate anyone in power and create negativity, when to get out a recession you need confidence and motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Totally agree, I'm sick of the constant politician bashing. I know we need it to some extent but everything the government does is slammed by most of the press. Certain policy = press outrage. U-turn on certain policy = press outrage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guezelkuecuek)
    The Conservatives are the ****ty side of human nature expressed in a political party.
    Could you imagine a leader, boss etc providing their team, employees etc with whatever they wanted and being too nice to say no ever being a success?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benevansben)
    Could you imagine a leader, boss etc providing their team, employees etc with whatever they wanted and being too nice to say no ever being a success?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When did I mention business? In terms of policies, The Tories are selfish, greedy and small minded. All bad traits. To be fair, we don't live in a Utopia and the "better half" of human traits are largely ideological and impractical. A man can wish though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How anyone can support the Liberal Democrats after their broken promises is frankly beyond me?

Tuition fees - lied; inheritance tax - lied; House of Lord reform - threw a tantrum so blocked boundary changes; housing developments in Eastleigh - lied.

They are just compulsive liars. I mean I'm sorry.

And I'll be voting UKIP, purely because I see no differences between Labour, Lib Dem or Conservative, and frankly, I think UKIP offer some good solutions to contentious issues.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.