Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

The 'Everyman' sleeping pattern. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most people here are probably accustomed to the Monophasic pattern which involves one block of sleep per day (such as 12-8). At the moment I naturally use a Biphasic pattern which involves a slightly smaller block of sleep and a nap in the day.

I'm interested in anyone who currently uses the more abnormal sleeping patterns that allow people to sleep less and increase productivity. These include:

Everyman - a 3 hour block of sleep followed by three 20 minute naps throughout the day.

Uberman - six 30 minute naps throughout the whole day.

Dymaxion - a 30 minute nap every 6 hours.

As our lives are generally built around a monophasic sleeping pattern the everyman alternative is generally the easiest to accommodate this. I think I'm going to attempt to adjust to this style over Easter. This will mean I sleep from 1am-4am, followed by a 20-30 minute nap at 9am, 2pm and 9pm, subject to a one hour leeway either way which does not affect the routine.

I think if I attempt this I will document my experiences. I will be working for three days three weeks into Easter so I'll see how this affects the pattern if I stick to it. Has anyone else attempted something like this?

ReputationRep:
    I could try it but my eyes would be like luminous golf balls.

It depends on your lifestyle and how often you work.

I'd try it for one day or two, but the reason people sleep in a block is because pretty much unless you're out, Monday to Thursday nothing exciting happens between 11.30pm and 7am and 90% of people have work/school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atastycrumpet)
    I could try it but my eyes would be like luminous golf balls.

It depends on your lifestyle and how often you work.

I'd try it for one day or two, but the reason people sleep in a block is because pretty much unless you're out, Monday to Thursday nothing exciting happens between 11.30pm and 7am and 90% of people have work/school.
    It is possible to accustom this to work. If you sleep in your lunch break for 20 minutes, and I know some employers who don't mind if they do overtime. You can't try out a sleeping pattern like this for a couple of days as it takes about 2 weeks to adjust to it properly. The first week is usually difficult too. If I had extra time I could work, learn a language etc... the extra point is this sleeping pattern is designed to keep you alert throughout the whole day too. Usually people get tired by the afternoon and definitely by evening. With this sleeping pattern you're kept fresh every minute you're awake.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about this and it's something I want to do more research/reading into when I finish my degree in May. I'd like to see results into the effectiveness of each style of sleep phase.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to wake once im in bed!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.