Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm Asian, but I hate doing stereotypically Asian things. Watch

I'm mixed (half East Asian, half South Asian) and because I've lived in the UK all my life I've never really related to either of my parents' cultures. I can't speak their languages because my extended family speaks perfect English, I don't do any cultural activities, and I'm not part of any group of girls who are exclusively Pakistani like pretty much everyone else I know from that background is. I hate "gangster talk" and acting like the stereotypical cute East Asian girl as well.

I've never really liked stuff like watching Bollywood movies or listening to a particular kind of music or hanging out with people from a similiar ethnic background - I've always felt more inclined to do more stereotypically Western things. I don't really like it when people assume I do as well just because of my background, I'd rather do my own thing.

Am I missing out by not engaging with my parents' cultures and conforming a bit? Or should I just continue being whom I'm most comfortable being? Anyone else from an ethnic background feel the same way?

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Or should I just continue being whom I'm most comfortable being? Anyone else from an ethnic background feel the same way?
    I'm white British, so not ethnic, but if it's any good to you, here's my what my brain thinks:

I think you should continue being the you that you are most comfortable being. Like the things you like. Enjoy doing the things you enjoy doing. Don't let society or prying peers or parents try and push you in a direction that you don't want to go.

(Original post by jeery83)
    I'm white British, so not ethnic, but if it's any good to you, here's my what my brain thinks:

I think you should continue being the you that you are most comfortable being. Like the things you like. Enjoy doing the things you enjoy doing. Don't let society or prying peers or parents try and push you in a direction that you don't want to go.
    Thanks, I'm always going to be my own person but I'm just sick of friends and parents from the same background finding it "weird" I don't see the need to integrate culturally. I'm still not sure if I'm missing out, though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed (half East Asian, half South Asian) and because I've lived in the UK all my life I've never really related to either of my parents' cultures. I can't speak their languages because my extended family speaks perfect English, I don't do any cultural activities, and I'm not part of any group of girls who are exclusively Pakistani like pretty much everyone else I know from that background is. I hate "gangster talk" and acting like the stereotypical cute East Asian girl as well.

I've never really liked stuff like watching Bollywood movies or listening to a particular kind of music or hanging out with people from a similiar ethnic background - I've always felt more inclined to do more stereotypically Western things. I don't really like it when people assume I do as well just because of my background, I'd rather do my own thing.

Am I missing out by not engaging with my parents' cultures and conforming a bit? Or should I just continue being whom I'm most comfortable being? Anyone else from an ethnic background feel the same way?
    I got some Maths homework that needs doing, you don't mind do you?

ReputationRep:
    This might sound strange but my friends are in the same situation and I really don't notice that they are different - i treat them like other English people. I think you should engage in the cultures only if you want, not point in doing stuff if it means nothing to you.

ReputationRep:
    You're only missing out if you know there is something enjoyable you have yet to experience. None of us can tell you what that is.

ReputationRep:
    So you don't like conforming to stereotypes, big whoop. Out of interest, what were you hoping to gain from this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Be who you are/want to be and don't let society change you.

ReputationRep:
    good good, assimilate, cut off completely from your native culture

ReputationRep:
    Your parents Culture is something that will always be with you, maybe via food or music or just the way your look, but if you were born in Britain and raised your culture should and will be different, it is completely understandable, your meant to have a culture differing to that of Asia, I really don't see the issue honestly, just because your parents are Asian does not mean you have be culturally from Asia...be yourself, be British.

ReputationRep:

Don't limit yourself to one culture, I'd say experience both sides if you're comfortable with that. There may be some things in the western culture that you enjoy doing....do them, and there may be other things that you enjoy doing in your Asian culture...do them, but don't think just because you enjoy one culture you have to neglect the other culture..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. My ethnic origin is Sinhalese but I don't speak Sinhala, am not the greatest fan of rice and don't watch South Asian TV/listen to South Asian music, etc. Most of my friends are Irish in origin. I have two Asian friends: one Chinese (my BFF) and one Pakistani.

So yeah, don't worry: you're certainly not alone in this! :nah:

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'm Asian too (Pakistani), I live in London and was pretty much forced into following my culture. Believe me you aren't missing out on much. Definitely continue living the way your most comfortable in.

ReputationRep:
    I hate Bollywood movies. In before someone says 'Coconut.'

ReputationRep:
    I feel a little bit like that. I am of African descent.

I do follow the culture a bit, but only parts that I like such as the food. But there are many parts of the culture I don't like, and I am more Westernised, so I choose to follow the Western culture a lot more because I feel that that is a bigger part of me and I feel as though I am more in touch with the Western culture because it allows me to be who I want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. My ethnic origin is Sinhalese but I don't speak Sinhala, am not the greatest fan of rice and don't watch South Asian TV/listen to South Asian music, etc. Most of my friends are Irish in origin. I have two Asian friends: one Chinese (my BFF) and one Pakistani.

So yeah, don't worry: you're certainly not alone in this! :nah:

:hugs:
    You don't like kottu?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbunhead)
    You don't like kottu?
    I LOVE KOTTU I make a really good kottu :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I LOVE KOTTU I make a really good kottu :yep:
    Ahahaha! Ps you should try maggi noodles

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.