Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How can I do well in my GCSEs so I can get into medicine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm currently in Year 10 taking my GCSES.
    I take English, Maths, Double award Science, R.E, ICT, Geography, Art and Photography.

It's been a bit complicating, I moved schools a few months ago and had to change some of my options and also have completely different exam boards and topics but I'm managing to get A's and B's in most things

Does anyone have any tips on how to consistently get A's and A*'s, as I know medicine is a competitive area? Like, what would you guys recommend? Thanks ;3

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend making a revision timetable with lots of rewards so you stick to it But remember for medicine, although good GCSE's are important, the number of A*'s and As you need depend on the university you want to apply to and how they weight it- Nottingham, for example, scores your top 8 and uses it to decide when you're interviewed, whereas some uni's only look at them after A levels if they're trying to distinguish between two good candidates.

Try a variety of revision methods, such as flashcards, writing out long summaries of things, postitnotes around the house with keywords (especially for RE and science!), glossaries, and do as many questions from textbooks and past papers as you find possible. Try and use the past papers last so that you can really focus on your weaker areas once you've done them.
    Spend more time on the subjects you struggle with, and start revising for early exams earlier than those that come later. Don't revise for hours on end- take regular breaks so your mind has time to process it, and switch subjects if you can.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    you basically need As and A*s for a fighting chance (and do well in your A levels too)- these days lots of people are getting high grades so try to do something academic out of school to make yourself stand out from the crowd.
    be constant for the best grades- read over class work everyday and make sure you understand it

ReputationRep:
    You need to see if you can get onto a triple science program, because most colleges will ask for this at A level. If your school definitely doesn't offer this option for you, it'll be very helpful if you at least look over all the stuff you'd be missing out on. (there's not much, it's only 3 more units or something).

As for getting A/A* you need to hit the exam papers. Revising from guides or notes is all well and good but doing practice papers is where you're going to see a big improvement. Especially for someone like you, who has switched exam boards; it'll help you get a feel for the style of question and what the mark scheme is looking for. Also, when doing practice papers, don't be afraid to check your notes. I don't mean just copy answers from there, but if you've spend a good while thinking around a question and still can't quite get the answer, just have a look back to remind yourself. This will help you remember more effectively, because your remember the information in a context suitable for the exam.

As for some of the things said in this thread, I'd say, if you're already at A/B level, "reading over class work everyday" is just going to be tedious and unnecessary, only do this if there's a topic you are particularly struggling with. Though, if you are finding a specific topic hard to get your head around, have a look online (countless GCSE level website can be found via google) because they might explain things in a way that will help you understand it a bit more.

And understanding is key; rote memorisation can only get you so far.

tl;dr there is no tl;dr just read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateJMC)
    You need to see if you can get onto a triple science program, because most colleges will ask for this at A level. If your school definitely doesn't offer this option for you, it'll be very helpful if you at least look over all the stuff you'd be missing out on. (there's not much, it's only 3 more units or something).

As for getting A/A* you need to hit the exam papers. Revising from guides or notes is all well and good but doing practice papers is where you're going to see a big improvement. Especially for someone like you, who has switched exam boards; it'll help you get a feel for the style of question and what the mark scheme is looking for. Also, when doing practice papers, don't be afraid to check your notes. I don't mean just copy answers from there, but if you've spend a good while thinking around a question and still can't quite get the answer, just have a look back to remind yourself. This will help you remember more effectively, because your remember the information in a context suitable for the exam.

As for some of the things said in this thread, I'd say, if you're already at A/B level, "reading over class work everyday" is just going to be tedious and unnecessary, only do this if there's a topic you are particularly struggling with. Though, if you are finding a specific topic hard to get your head around, have a look online (countless GCSE level website can be found via google) because they might explain things in a way that will help you understand it a bit more.

And understanding is key; rote memorisation can only get you so far.

tl;dr there is no tl;dr just read.
    Yeah because I moved, it's too late for me to pick triple science but my teacher's helping me out with that one and told me what units to look over.

Thank you for your answer, it definitely helped :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyseden)
    Yeah because I moved, it's too late for me to pick triple science but my teacher's helping me out with that one and told me what units to look over.

Thank you for your answer, it definitely helped :3
    Go to this website:
    Freeexampapers.com
    Download some past papers
    Print the past papers
    Mark the past papers (no cheating )
    Review your mistakes
    Repeat 2-5 times for each subject
    A* in the 6th one guaranteed

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.