The Student Room Group

Best material for ear plugs?

Wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it to the correct place if needs be.

I've finally managed to stretch my ear up to a 10mm (where I'm stopping.) My ear appears fine, so I want to buy a plug/tunnel in preparation for when it's fully healed.

My question is what material should I get for freshly stretched ears? I know to stay away from acrylic and silicon but I've had conflicting advice on everything else.

Note: I want advice on plugs for ear stretchers, NOT opinions on if you think I should have one or not.
Reply 1
Glass or titanium really. Stone would be too heavy and is often double flared, and other organics are porous and thus not a good idea.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 2
Glass is my personal favourite.

Although I'm questioning what you have in your ear at the moment if you're 'waiting until it's healed' to put a plug in...
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses. Is metal an okay material to use? I like the look of the glass ones but most seem to be fairly expensive.

Original post by Kate.
Although I'm questioning what you have in your ear at the moment if you're 'waiting until it's healed' to put a plug in...

I still had a taper in because I had only just finished stretching it to a 10mm.
Reply 4
Original post by echeee
Thanks for the responses. Is metal an okay material to use? I like the look of the glass ones but most seem to be fairly expensive.

I still had a taper in because I had only just finished stretching it to a 10mm.

It's generally advised to follow the taper straight through with a plug and not leave the taper in. Tapers are more likely to get caught on things and pull your lobe down at the back. I never kept mine in for more than a few minutes...

Metal is fine if you're happy with it. I presume by now you'd know if you're comfortable with steel or if you should stick to titanium. Some people are sensitive to the nickel in steel so titanium is often a better option.

If you're only just asking about plug material now, what have you been doing from now until 10mm anyway? Have you stretched from a normal piercing straight to 10mm with a taper or something? =/
Reply 5
Original post by Kate.
It's generally advised to follow the taper straight through with a plug and not leave the taper in. Tapers are more likely to get caught on things and pull your lobe down at the back. I never kept mine in for more than a few minutes...

Metal is fine if you're happy with it. I presume by now you'd know if you're comfortable with steel or if you should stick to titanium. Some people are sensitive to the nickel in steel so titanium is often a better option.

If you're only just asking about plug material now, what have you been doing from now until 10mm anyway? Have you stretched from a normal piercing straight to 10mm with a taper or something? =/

No, that would be ridiculous. From 1-5mm I was keeping the tapers in, (I know it wasn't good for my lobes, but my ears healed fairly quickly between stretches.) Then when it came to 6, 8 and 10 I was using wood plugs but then I discovered they weren't good for you.
Reply 6
Original post by echeee
No, that would be ridiculous. From 1-5mm I was keeping the tapers in, (I know it wasn't good for my lobes, but my ears healed fairly quickly between stretches.) Then when it came to 6, 8 and 10 I was using wood plugs but then I discovered they weren't good for you.

Wood plugs might not be great, but skipping sizes and using tapers as jewellery are very not great and you seem happy with that.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Wood plugs might not be great, but skipping sizes and using tapers as jewellery are very not great and you seem happy with that.

Sent from my GT-S5363

I used the tapers from 1-5, I wasn't happy with it but it was the choice I had. I wasn't 'wearing them as jewellery' as I was taking them regularly ever day so that it wouldn't pull on my lobe.

I've since moved on to a 10 mm metal plug now, which will be staying in for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the suggestions and comments though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending