Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

FC Bayern München vs Arsenal; 13/03/2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    you quite easily argue that the away goal rule itself encourages teams to park the bus, look at man utd in the 1st leg at madrid, as soon as they got their token away goal, they were quite happy to sit on it, and even after madrid equalized, they continued not to lurch forward much and were content to settle on their away goal lead for the 2nd leg

also look at the FA cup, there are no away goal rules there, I don't see how thats affected the quality of matches, the vast majority of teams (good teams that is) go to their matches for the win, they're not parking bus so they could get a replay at their home ground
    Well the FA cup is a bit unfair that way aint it?

One team can play all its games away whilst another can have home advantage all the way to the semi-final(and previously the final)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imthe12)
    What's he saying!?
    He's saying that Arsenal are in a overall crisis, this result does nothing and masks the fact Arsenal need half a dozen quality players. Also he is saying Arsenal are 5th in the weakest PL for a long time.

Tbh i agree in a sense but he seemed to be intent on ripping into Arsenal after what was a valiant effort really and seemed to go a bit far with some criticisms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    Chelsea and Man City were given the toughest groups in the group stages and Arsenal and United were given the toughest draws in the last 16... Come on conspiracy theorists, where are your thinking glasses?
    Munich and Madrid are outright tougher games than Barca?
    Oh and it's 'Thinking cap'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Well the FA cup is a bit unfair that way aint it?

One team can play all its games away whilst another can have home advantage all the way to the semi-final(and previously the final)
    I really don't think theres much difference tbh, if you're good enough to win, you'll win, home/away grounds has little effect on one off cup ties especially with teams at the very top who are used to traveling to all sorts of places for their games

theres always a bit of unfairness, but IMO its not worth having the away goal rule simply as an attempt to stop teams parking the bus, it doesn't even work well to stop it anyway

ReputationRep:
    Now you know how we feel at united for our injustice

ReputationRep:
    Well done Arsenal, for a resolute performance and for unveiling the ugly side of Bayern that hardly anyone sees.

ReputationRep:
    Bayern's poor performance is the sole reason why Arsenal even won this match. The defence was the only decent unit. The midfield and attack was utter tripe today for us. Ramsey lost the ball 50 times during the whole game, Rosicky couldn't string together two passes, Arteta giving needless free kicks away during extra time, Giroud taking chances from 40 yards on the counter, Walcott kicking the ball for the sake of it, Cazorla virtually useless from the left I could go on and on. At least Fabiasnki, Koscielny and Jenkinson put in decent shifts.

With how poor Bayern were I would actually expect Arsenal to have beaten them tonight. Bayern knew the tie was done and dusted in the first leg so it felt like they couldn't even be bothered. We only had 4 shots ffs and people are praising us as if we put in a very good performance. Defensive wise it was a decent performance but very, very poor attacking wise. Ramsey shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Barcelona cannot play Madrid or Malaga until the semis can they?
    As far as I know teams from the same country might play against each other in quarter final.

Back to topic, I have expect nothing from Arsenal. I guess Arsenal would have won, if the second goal were scored in the first half time or in the middle of the second one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Defensive wise it was a decent performance but very, very poor attacking wise.
    It's encouraging given how our defence has been struggling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Well done Arsenal, for a resolute performance and for unveiling the ugly side of Bayern that hardly anyone sees.
    Besides the fact their keeper does training drills when the team are ahead in the 60th min.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Besides the fact their keeper does training drills when the team are ahead in the 60th min.
    I always thought Neuer was a prat tbh, and it was typified when that 2nd goal went in. Reminded me of the Swansea ball boy incident!

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm bracing myself for a 5th place finish in the league now :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    I always thought Neuer was a prat tbh, and it was typified when that 2nd goal went in. Reminded me of the Swansea ball boy incident!
    Haha reminded me of that too.

Neuer is a legend though

ReputationRep:
    Mandzukic did a drogba too. It's the fact that if they were such a good team why they have to resort to such measures to get through to the next round when they could in reality have whipped arsenal's arse if they weren't so arrogant. They're my favourite team to watch play atm as well.

ReputationRep:
    Neither team was at their best, feel quite sorry for Arsenal, had the scorelines for the two legs been reversed they would have gone through. The away-goal rule needs review IMO.

(Original post by jam277)
    I don't get why this is brought up so often against Neuer. When you look at the context, something barely anyone reporting on it actually did, he'd barely had to do anything all game in subzero conditions (something like -5 IIRC), and this occurred during the break in play after Bayern had scored their 3rd goal of the game. Hardly the ****-move of the decade some people made it out to be tbh.

ReputationRep:
    People need to stop calling for the away goal rule to be scrapped. It's a neccessary evil. Maybe do what they do in CL semis have bring it in play at end of extra time perhaps but scrapping it altogether isn't good.

I think the away goals rule makes sense. :dontknow: It's galling for a team to be knocked out on them but I'd say it's more sensible than penalties, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the way Arsenal played against Bayern, defence wise. You could she how much the defence and keeper didn't want a goal in their net. Bayern got good opportunities but Robben is quite very very greedy with the ball. All in all, a way better match than the utter ____ I watched the previous night. Not that I support either team but I have never watched such a one sided match in all my years. A well wasted 93 minutes of my time. Ac milan didn't play football and I still don't know what they played.

(sorry, I got carried away)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Neither team was at their best, feel quite sorry for Arsenal, had the scorelines for the two legs been reversed they would have gone through. The away-goal rule needs review IMO.

I don't get why this is brought up so often against Neuer. When you look at the context, something barely anyone reporting on it actually did, he'd barely had to do anything all game in subzero conditions (something like -5 IIRC), and this occurred during the break in play after Bayern had scored their 3rd goal of the game. Hardly the ****-move of the decade some people made it out to be tbh.
    Should he look back to the goal. If he was doing training drills he could still be facing the goal, not heading it to thomas muller. He could do other training drills to wrap him up without having to turn his back to goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Barcelona cannot play Madrid or Malaga until the semis can they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, Barca CAN indeed play Real Madrid or Malaga in the QF, and Malaga and Madrid can play each other. Just like how an all-german tie is possible between Bayern Munich and Dortmund. However, I would prefer if it's Malaga and Galataseraay who are drawn together as it would guarantee one underdog in the semi's.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.