The Student Room Group

Arsenal Gap Year Programme 2013/2014

Hi everyone,

I graduated from Queen's University Belfast in 2012, and as I wasn't ready to do Masters, or qualified enough to go straight into a Graduate job, I decided that I needed to do some Voluntary work. I came across the Arsenal Gap Year Programme, liked what I saw, applied, and was accepted. Basically, the programme involves moving to London in August and staying until December, whilst Arsenal train you to be coach and work with children. You get an FA coaching badge, Referee, Disability, and Youth Module qualifications and everyone is placed into an inner-city London school for work experience for 4 months.

The whole point of this is to train new coaches in London, and then send them across the globe in January to ply their trade with different charities, organisations and soccer schools. There are two 3 month placements. January-April, and May-July.

I'm currently living and working in Barbados with Arsenal and a charity called the Brewster Trust, working with over 300 children in 10 schools. The work is exciting and fulfilling, and you meet lots of great young people along the way.

I highly recommend the Arsenal Gap Year Programme for anyone who isn't sure what to do after University, it's great fun, you'll meet some like-minded individuals, you get to travel the world, and it looks fantastic on your CV.

I write a blog which I update every week, there are more details on there if you scroll all the way back to the start. You can follow the blog @
niallconwell.wordpress.com

I'll also do my best to answer any questions you may have, right here on this thread! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi Niall

As I was looking for someone talking about his/her experience with Arsenal Gap Year Programme I found this post of yours. I really have a lot of questions to ask you, I am really looking forward to apply for this, but I am not sure if it is the right choice. I hope, if you don't have any problem, if I can ask you some questions about your experience, I also just finished college and when I found about this program (which has nothing to do with what I studied in college) is something that is really worth, I never knew that programs like this existed. I hope we can keep in touch and keep having a great time.
Reply 2
@tonomuniz

You'll have to specify what it is you want to know about the programme, because there are so many things we've done over the last 9 months! Even if you just make a short-list of questions, I'll try my best to answer them in as much detail as possible!

N.B. I studied Psychology at University, and this Gap Year has nothing to do with my degree, and I still love it!
Reply 3
Niall
First of all thank you for your answer. I am really glad to fun someone that is telling us about this amazing experience. Before I ask you any questions I will try to do my best to get the visa and requirements to apply for this year. But nonetheless I really appreciate the fact that you are so willing to help. Keep having a great time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Niall_Conwell
Hi everyone,

I graduated from Queen's University Belfast in 2012, and as I wasn't ready to

Hi Niall,

I was thinking of applying for Arsenal Gap Year Programme, I was wondering if you could send me your e-mail address so I could write to you some questions I have about the programme?

Cheers A.
Reply 5
Hi Aran,

Sorry for the delay, been busy coaching all week. I'm glad you're taking an interest in the programme, but like I said before, fire away any questions you may have here on this forum and I'll reply here. Just so that the Q&A can benefit everyone!
Reply 6
Hi Niall

thanks for posting. I've been following your blog and the gap programme looks amazing.

I applied and I've just been accepted onto the programme myself.

I was wondering what the regular week is like? What do you get up to and what are the usual start and finishing times? Also how long does the Stage 1 last for, are you working right up to Christmas?

What did you do regarding funding, if you don't mind me asking? I've got a part time job at the minute but I'm wondering if I can keep it up because I don't know the hours or how often Saturday work is required.

Finally, what kind of perks are there? I'm already massively excited but I'd love to hear a bit more from first-hand experience.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help
Louis
Reply 7
Wow i never knew of this program. Is it open to people who haven't started uni yet? If i were to take a gap year, would i be eligible to apply? I'm 19 and just finished my IB exams, i could take a gap year before joining university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Nice blog
Reply 9
where in inner london do you have to live?
I'd love to do this. How do I apply!?
Reply 11
how do you apply for the programme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending