Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Friend's wedding causing massive family argument Watch

Basically my family friend is getting married this summer and the other day she found her dream wedding venue, the problem is that the only day it's free is the day of her sisters 18th birthday.

As a result its caused a major situation. With one sister claiming the other is selfish for wanting to get married on her 21st birthday, and the other saying that it's inf act the first sister who is being selfish for kicking up a fuss and attempting to ruin the wedding.

Just out of interest who would you say is in the wrong?

ReputationRep:
    The birthday sister is incredibly naive; you should shook her and slap her.

ReputationRep:
    Have the wedding next year.

ReputationRep:
    The 18 year old is being unfair, she should be excited for her sister and they should enjoy the day together, it should be the happiest day of her life getting married and your 18 year old will get plenty more birthdays. Weddings only come around once!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That.Girl)
    The 18 year old is being unfair, she should be excited for her sister and they should enjoy the day together, it should be the happiest day of her life getting married and your 18 year old will get plenty more birthdays. Weddings only come around once!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless you happen to get divorced and re-marry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically my family friend is getting married this summer and the other day she found her dream wedding venue, the problem is that the only day it's free is the day of her sisters 18th birthday.

As a result its caused a major situation. With one sister claiming the other is selfish for wanting to get married on her 21st birthday, and the other saying that it's inf act the first sister who is being selfish for kicking up a fuss and attempting to ruin the wedding.

Just out of interest who would you say is in the wrong?
    Cant the sister just celebrate her birthday the day before or after or something? I mean if she wanted to have a party say, there's no rule that states you must have it on your actual birth day.

ReputationRep:
    Haha very true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The birthday girl needs to grow up. She can celebrate her birthday on another day. The bride can't get her ideal venue any other date and the birthday girl should put herself in her sisters shoes and she what she would actually do!!! I think she's been mega selfish and immature. Tell her to grow up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "With one sister claiming the other is selfish for wanting to get married on her 21st birthday, and the other saying that it's inf act the first sister who is being selfish for kicking up a fuss and attempting to ruin the wedding."

I don't get it. You said that the wedding can take place on the sister's 18th birthday? So who is turning 21 then? The bride?

ReputationRep:
    Unnecessary drama. The younger one wants some attention as well. Do not give it to her. Wedding is a wedding. She'll get over it someday, when she is above 18(or 21?).

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna say the opposite to everyone else - I'd be massively annoyed if it was me. Yes you (theoretically) only get married once, but you only turn 18 once too. Maybe they could do something joint afterwards, like after having a meal at the reception they could turn it into a party.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KalSA)
    I don't get it. You said that the wedding can take place on the sister's 18th birthday? So who is turning 21 then? The bride?
    I was thinking about this as well. Maybe it's the bride's mother who's turning 21 :mmm:
    • TSR Support Team

moved to friends, family and work

ReputationRep:
    You only turn 18 once so I'd be pretty pissed off if somebody did this to me. I think booking it just because "it's the only day available so deal with it" is pretty pathetic - you can get married another day. The venue will still be there - the birthday comes and goes once, like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I was thinking about this as well. Maybe it's the bride's mother who's turning 21 :mmm:
    Ahahahahahahahaha Thank you for making my day!

ReputationRep:
    OP, why did you mention an 18th and 21st birthday? As long as I did get some attention that day I wouldn't mind if it was my birthday, I'd have all my family with me, which is a rare but nice gathering/occassion.

(Original post by That.Girl)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You only turn 18 once. People often re-marry . . .
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Sibling rivalry. Don't you just love it.

I blame the mother. She should put her foot down and tell them if they can't play nicely together, then they can't play at all. Cancel both events until they apologise to each other and reach a compromise.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I would side on the girl having the wedding; a wedding is more important than an 18th/21st/whatever birthday, and she can't get another date for it at the venue she wants. The girl having the 18th/21st/whatever birthday can defer for a week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda on the side of birthday girl. You can't move a birthday and you only have one 18th (or 21st), yes you can move the celebration, but you can move a wedding as well. Also having your wedding on your sisters birthay means your subsequent anniversaries are going to be on her birthday as well (so every year for the rest of your life you have decide between celebrating your sisters birthday or your anniversary).

Also a wedding is not defined by its venue, if having to change venue means the wedding is ruined, it probably wasn't going to be a very good wedding start with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Sibling rivalry. Don't you just love it.

I blame the mother. She should put her foot down and tell them if they can't play nicely together, then they can't play at all. Cancel both events until they apologise to each other and reach a compromise.
    They're not small children, the mother might not be organising either event so why should she do such a thing.

They should do what I suggest and have the wedding that day. But make sure they make a thing of it being a birthday to and allow the sister to invite some of her friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.