Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I'm looking at joining the forces when I leave school, specifically a vehicle mechanic in REME, but the drawback is I have to be 16.6 years to apply.

How long does the process take from submitting an application, induction etc, to being told I am/ aren't going to basic?

Because, I'm not of age until June, which means I have about a 2-3 month window before going to college?

It's my first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place but thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're better off posting on ARRSE.

There's a few things that will affect the length of your application:

Job availability - if it's oversubscribed then there will be a waiting list.

Some AFCO's will not call you for the next part of your application and you have to chase them up.This can add wuite a lot of time.

Your Doctor has to complete a medical form, again they can drag their heels with this and can take months. You have to badger them.

If your fitness is **** they won't put you forward. If you fail ADSC (selection) it will put you back.

Lastly, if you get a grade C then you will wait longer than those who get an A.

At a guess, you're looking at a year or so from application to starting.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Really appreciate the help heading over there now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.