Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

English - How is it an expressive language? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the English language is very expressive, but I don't know how. Is it expressive in the terms of emotions, actions or description? I'm a native English speaker myself but I don't see how it's expressive.

Can I hear your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think English is quite an expressive language especially when singing. It's obviously closely linked to German, but what defines it is the dark vowels that are used - Italian/Spanish etc to an extent have a very bright, almost lighter tone quality - English people don't 'use' their mouths so much compared to European languages, and so our words - think 'barn,' 'door,' etc - really have that darkness of tone quality.

ReputationRep:
    English is expressive because its origins mean that our vocabulary is extremely wide. We've been invaded by saxons, celts, romans, vikings, normans (and more), and have adopted word variations from them all. That means there are many words that mean the same thing or have subtly different meanings, so we have such a lot to choose from. Bill Bryson wrote an engaging book on it if you're interested.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.