Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 19, male, taking a year out between A levels and Uni (town planning course). This is to earn some much needed cash rather then going traveling or having fun.
    I am kinda hoping to work 5 days a week 9 till 5 or maybe even 6 days. Money is really the most important thing, although it cant be the most boring job in the world as i want to stick at it.
    I live in SW England, so its not exactly the job capitial of the country. I was kinda thinking office work as its far better paid then retail/bar work. Any suggestions?

Regards
    fivebyfive
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Any suggestions?
    Don't tell potential employers that you're on a gap year - make out that you're looking to start life in the real world NOW and not using them to pass the time with.

It's slightly dishonest but it will increase the odds of getting a half decent job immensly

ReputationRep:
    However, when you go to university a year later and it becomes obvious, honesty like that will look pretty terrible in your reference..

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Don't tell potential employers that you're on a gap year - make out that you're looking to start life in the real world NOW and not using them to pass the time with.

It's slightly dishonest but it will increase the odds of getting a half decent job immensly
    absolutely brilliant thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa12)
    absolutely brilliant thinking.
    i don't think so- you would have to be careful in case they made you sign a contract or something..better off being honest with them from the start...they may offer you holiday work all the way through uni or a job at the end- if you leave and they twig you won't get any of that ...

ReputationRep:
    Mixed views lol
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Zarjazz)
    However, when you go to university a year later and it becomes obvious, honesty like that will look pretty terrible in your reference..
    Universities don't ask for an employer reference - they ask for an academic one so even if you take a yr out your UCAS form reference should be written by one of your teachers/lecturers.

Plus just because you don't make something clear when applying for jobs in July/August 2004 doesn't mean you cannot have a change of heart and discuss it with your line manager (who will be the person who will provide an employer reference - not the clerical worker in HR who sorts through the application forms removing people looking for summer work/short time contracts) when it gets to September/October/Novermber/December 2004/January 2005 when you actually send off your application to UCAS. And of course by the time you're actually applying for proper jobs after graduation pre-university jobs will pale into insignificance (trust me on this - 9 months after graduation my potential emplyers weren't even interested in a reference from my final year summer job, only in references from my most recent jobs)

And so far as contracts go the only thing to be aware of is your notice period - if it's 3 months then you will need to hand in your resignation with plenty of time to spare, if it's a month or less then things are more flexible.

Alternatively get on the books of an agency and work your way around lots of different offices on short term contracts (even on a short term contract with an agency you can quit with a days notice). Again don't tell the agency that you're only going to be around for a yr (they get inundated after exams with people looking for summer jobs so to be a more long term prospect from their point of view makes a major selling point). Agencies don't look for experience, qualifications and references so much as friendliness, a good attitude to work, punctuality and reliability - they want someone who will turn up when they're supposed to and get along with their work colleagues and do a reasonable job - not some drama queen who has a list of experience as long as your arm but can't drag themselves out of bed for a 9AM start.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks pencil queen, that sounds like good advice. Do you think office work is a good idea? I still havent given too much thought to what i am going to do and am open to suggestions. Anyone know of any areas of work that are well paid and i might be suited to?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Office work tends to be better paid than most other short time jobs. Plus it's easy enough to pick up and isn't actually physically tiring (like factory work can be). Plus the hours tend to be sociable (9-5) again unlike factory work/supermarket/bar work etc.

And if you're working with nice people it can be good fun too.

The only thing to watch out for is the monotony - although that varies by job - I'd never describe my job as boring but in the past I've don't data input which can make you incredibly tired (it's well paid though and if you can hack it and get good at it it can be extremely well paid)

ReputationRep:
    Universities don't ask for an employer reference - they ask for an academic one so even if you take a yr out your UCAS form reference should be written by one of your teachers/lecturers.
    So people who are taking a year out and reapplying, you can't use the same reference someone from your old college will have to write it?!

Eeek *thinking about going back to college and facing the evil woman who said id never get in...(continues mumbling under breath) *

ReputationRep:
    I know. But the next employer you find will want a reference from your gap year. Especially if you turn up after your degree and have to explain in an interview that you've had a gap year involving work.

Should they contact your employers from your gap year and find that you weren't particularly honest about your intentions, it might not do your application much good.

Nothing wrong with honesty.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Zarjazz)
    I know. But the next employer you find will want a reference from your gap year. Especially if you turn up after your degree and have to explain in an interview that you've had a gap year involving work.

Should they contact your employers from your gap year and find that you weren't particularly honest about your intentions, it might not do your application much good.

Nothing wrong with honesty.
    Plus just because you don't make something clear when applying for jobs in July/August 2004 doesn't mean you cannot have a change of heart and discuss it with your line manager (who will be the person who will provide an employer reference - not the clerical worker in HR who sorts through the application forms removing people looking for summer work/short time contracts) when it gets to September/October/Novermber/December 2004/January 2005 when you actually send off your application to UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Resurrecting this thread as I am going to start looking for work very soon. Still kind of confused about what I should do, but the advice above was really helpful.
    I am thinking of going to see Connexions to get some advice (although they did give me incorrect info on tuition fees, so not so sure), I know what type of work I am looking for and the short term office contract through agencies sounds like a good idea as long as its well paid?
    I can touch type and work very well with computers, so something in that area would be great. Does banking work pay well? What would you wise people suggest? Should I go to the job centre? it’s getting started that is the difficult part. I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
    Fivebyfive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hi,

Resurrecting this thread as I am going to start looking for work very soon. Still kind of confused about what I should do, but the advice above was really helpful.
    I am thinking of going to see Connexions to get some advice (although they did give me incorrect info on tuition fees, so not so sure), I know what type of work I am looking for and the short term office contract through agencies sounds like a good idea as long as its well paid?
    I can touch type and work very well with computers, so something in that area would be great. Does banking work pay well? What would you wise people suggest? Should I go to the job centre? it’s getting started that is the difficult part. I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
    Fivebyfive
    take your cv round to local companies who you would like to work for. One of my friends worked for natwest as a cashier and got very well paid...
    Explain you are looking for a job and ask if they have anything going eg. soliciotrs, banks, other businesses....

ReputationRep:
    Cheers I will do that, but are there organisations which u can get to forward your details to potential employers?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.