The Student Room Group

Minimum alcohol pricing may be dropped

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21766309

Thoughts? I thought it reflected my ideas that minimum pricing will not stop the problems we have here. Maybe the this is the sign of Tories trying to cling onto votes as people see them as the 'nasty party'

How about we give young people stuff to do without the aims of 'getting them off the street' and targeting 'problem youth?' And also educate them about alcohol instead of trying to scare them into abstaining?

High tobacco prices aren't working so what made the government think high alcohol prices will?

Irresponsible drinking establishments seem to be the problem IMO. Some places I don't know why they got permission to be there

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jblackmoustache

Thoughts? I thought it reflected my ideas that minimum pricing will not stop the problems we have here.

How about we give young people to do without the aims of 'getting them off the street' and targeting 'problem youth?'

High tobacco prices aren't working so what made the government think high alcohol prices will?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think minimum pricing will help at all, if people want something they'll just go out of their way to get it. I think the government is more interested in tax rather benefit of the nation.

Instead it should focus on stopping people milking benefits and reducing tax.
I'm Teetotal, and I too do not agree with minimum pricing. It is a form of Communism and it wrong. To be quite honest with you, I think it would not have got too far anyway, as I think it would have failed at a judicial review at the high court. The way to tackle the booze culture is twofold. On high alcohol products, the taxes must be sharply increased. Also, if one requires NHS attention due to their drunken ways, then they must be charged for their treatment. Why should the NHS be free of charge because of someone's stupid, drunken ways. You need NHS attention due to drink or drug taking - Pay for it, not the taxpayer, and until you pay for it, you are not entitled to NHS treatment.
Original post by Tbx
I don't think minimum pricing will help at all, if people want something they'll just go out of their way to get it. I think the government is more interested in tax rather benefit of the nation.

I don't believe the 'evil people on benefits' hype and I don't want this to turn into a debate about this.

Maybe there wouldn't be that many people on jobseekers if there were jobs?

Take it somewhere else or create your own thread

Original post by CelticSymphony67
I'm Teetotal, and I too do not agree with minimum pricing. It is a form of Communism and it wrong. To be quite honest with you, I think it would not have got too far anyway, as I think it would have failed at a judicial review at the high court. The way to tackle the booze culture is twofold. On high alcohol products, the taxes must be sharply increased. Also, if one requires NHS attention due to their drunken ways, then they must be charged for their treatment. Why should the NHS be free of charge because of someone's stupid, drunken ways. You need NHS attention due to drink or drug taking - Pay for it, not the taxpayer, and until you pay for it, you are not entitled to NHS treatment.

Problem is: Drinkers are taxpayers too, therefore they pay for the NHS too. Drinkers pay their taxes for the NHS like the rest of us. If you put your money towards something wouldn't you expect treatment like the rest of the population?

Students can't say **** about that tbh. Whenever have students paid tax?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CelticSymphony67

By that logic some fitness fanatic that does so many marathons its a strain on their heart should have to pay for the NHS treatment they may receive as their lifestyle choice is what caused the problem same goes for having to many fried breakfasts its not a viable system not to mention moral implications.

As for the communist comment you might want to research what communism actually is. Tax hikes have been proven not to work on many things its culture that needs to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
People will always find a cheaper alternative, even if it meant homebrewing or distilling own products, which in most cases are alot stronger than a few beers lol.

Also if people realy wanted a drink they will still buy it, theyl just go for the cheapest nastyess thing if there is a minimum, I think itl just encourage bulk buying of 3-litre bottles of cidre, and cheaper brand beers such as skol etc,

I dont think itl work tbh, itl just encourage people to find alternative cost effective means which will be worse in the long run :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by amholcroft
By that logic some fitness fanatic that does so many marathons its a strain on their heart should have to pay for the NHS treatment they may receive as their lifestyle choice is what caused the problem same goes for having to many fried breakfasts its not a viable system not to mention moral implications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plus. Your still a taxpayer. This is a public service you have paid for, and have a right to use irrespective of how your health got into the state it's in.
In these threads many people address drinking amongst working and lower classes, but fail to address student drinking.

I live in Leeds. So many drunken students around. The student areas are a mess and students often engage in anti-social behaviour. Their behaviour seems to be excused by police though as they aren't seen as much of a threat as the locals.

Most students are middle class and are seen as bringing money into the city which is maybe a factor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8

Thoughts? I thought it reflected my ideas that minimum pricing will not stop the problems we have here. Maybe the this is the sign of Tories trying to cling onto votes as people see them as the 'nasty party'

How about we give young people stuff to do without the aims of 'getting them off the street' and targeting 'problem youth?' And also educate them about alcohol instead of trying to scare them into abstaining?

Irresponsible drinking establishments seem to be the problem IMO. Some places I don't know why they got permission to be there

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think people are going to drink whatever you do but the culture of buying cheap supermarket spirits to drink before going out is a major problem. I'm told that once upon a time people would go to their local pub before going out on the town which wasn't just more social it was supervised.

I say increase supermarket taxes decrease pub taxes and bring in legislation similar to Australia that prevents the serving of over intoxicated people. This way pubs can become hubs of community again and drinking can serve more of social instead of a getting battered out of your face role in society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Tbx

Hate to break it to you treacle but much more money could be in the coffers by preventing the rich evading tax than a very small minority milking the benefit system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think people are going to drink whatever you do but the culture of buying cheap supermarket spirits to drink before going out is a major problem. I'm told that once upon a time people would go to their local pub before going out on the town which wasn't just more social it was supervised.

I say increase supermarket taxes decrease pub taxes and bring in legislation similar to Australia that prevents the serving of over intoxicated people. This way pubs can become hubs of community again and drinking can serve more of social instead of a getting battered out of your face role in society.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too knowledgeable on this but do premises in cities (your typical main Strip bars) pay for the high policing in their areas? Far too often I see the police doing the jobs that the bouncers should be doing.

There are far too many irresponsible bars and clubs around. The minority of responsible ones out others to shame. In most it's 'pack em all in, give em cheap drink and get em pissed'. No quality alcohol either. Cheap crap along with cheap crappy music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Hate to break it to you treacle but much more money could be in the coffers by preventing the rich evading tax than a very small minority milking the benefit system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hate to break it to you but lower rates are more effective up to a point, look at what is happening in France.
While I would usually say that rising the prices would just cause alcoholics to simply spend more (and they probably would), I have started to see plenty of alcoholics going to corner shops and simply buying the cheapest thing available. They'll walk in with a tenner and leave with whatever they could afford.

So in instances, it would limit their access to alcohol. In plenty of other instances (such as those who use alcohol as a social drug and are generally responsible), it is just another way to get money out of us. Clubs are ridiculously expensive already - Imagine the cost after having minimum unit prices applied to the stockist!
Original post by SillyEddy
While I would usually say that rising the prices would just cause alcoholics to simply spend more (and they probably would), I have started to see plenty of alcoholics going to corner shops and simply buying the cheapest thing available. They'll walk in with a tenner and leave with whatever they could afford.

So in instances, it would limit their access to alcohol. In plenty of other instances (such as those who use alcohol as a social drug and are generally responsible), it is just another way to get money out of us. Clubs are ridiculously expensive already - Imagine the cost after having minimum unit prices applied to the stockist!

Sweet sweet Moonshine could make a return to the streets again :tongue:

If alcoholics wanna drink, they will drink.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Sweet sweet Moonshine could make a return to the streets again :tongue:

If alcoholics wanna drink, they will drink.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel sorry for anyone who has to regularly drink moonshine. That stuff is foul!

But as I say, some people just go to a shop with a certain amount of their savings and leave with very little change. They don't care what it is they're buying or what size, they just want that immediate kick. So despite wanting to drink at any hour of the day, sometimes they just buy whatever they can get hold of. If it were more expensive, they would have to buy less.
Reply 15
Booze is already a rip off in this country, can't wait for the plan to be axed.

Still I think that if they were to introduce it, but make Traditional British Ale, Cider and Whisky exempt from minimum pricing, and further reduce their alcohol tax it would go a long way to getting the punters back in the pub which will help provide new jobs and protect existing ones. People will buy British products which will also help keep money within the economy. Its a win win situation.

That's always happened round in my hometown. They'll buy the cheapest cider available. That White Ace crap you can buy in corner shops and off licences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clubs are ridiculously expensive already - Imagine the cost after having minimum unit prices applied to the stockist!

Maybe I'm talking as a Londoner, but minimum unit prices will have no affect on club prices as they are already several times above this level. £7-8 for a double vodka and coke (i.e.. 2 units) :mad:

They should find another way to lower the difference between pub/club prices and the supermarket to encourage the former, as there's no one in your house to say "you've had enough mate" or "You're not coming in you're too drunk".
45p a Unit!?!

Good god, glad they U-turned.

Im sure a higher price would curb some boozing, but the people who want to get intoxicated will find a cheaper alternative.
And it would have no effect on clubs or bars.
(edited 11 years ago)

As for the communist comment you might want to research what communism actually is. Tax hikes have been proven not to work on many things its culture that needs to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, one of the ideals of communism is that government set prices. If the government are setting prices for alcohol, then that is similar to communism. Why don't they set prices for cigarettes? Petrol? Have you ever been to Cuba? I have, and everything in Cuba is set by government, a core ideal of Communism. The way forward to tackle alcohol abuse is education, and trying to stop making a alcohol a fun, taboo drug to young kids. I must also point out that I actually have my own Bar in Scotland, and I have a Personal Alocohol Licence in Scotland, and in England, so this is a subject I know a lot about. Minimum pricing will not work!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending