Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Is it possible for a british muslim MP to gain mainstream sucess... Watch

ReputationRep:
    without being labeled as a fake muslim? Although I addressed this issue in a previous thread I figured I'd try it again. As an muslim-american looking on the outside it seems as if the opinions of british muslims are quite different from the rest of british society. Whether it is support for the execution of salman rushdie or support for 9/11 or palestinian suicide bombings the opinions of british muslims don't seem to jell well with other britons. You can even look at the politicians who are most popular with muslims, George Galloway or even Salma Yaqoob, who are often considered fringe politicians.

So considering all this lets say a british muslim MP wants a chance to be party leader or even prime minister. Do you think it would be possible for him to win muslim support without alienating the rest of british society? Or would he be forced to rely on the white vote and possible be labeled as a fake muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThreadPoster)
    without being labeled as a fake muslim? Although I addressed this issue in a previous thread I figured I'd try it again. As an muslim-american looking on the outside it seems as if the opinions of british muslims are quite different from the rest of british society. Whether it is support for the execution of salman rushdie or support for 9/11 or palestinian suicide bombings the opinions of british muslims don't seem to jell well with other britons. You can even look at the politicians who are most popular with muslims, George Galloway or even Salma Yaqoob, who are often considered fringe politicians.

So considering all this lets say a british muslim MP wants a chance to be party leader or even prime minister. Do you think it would be possible for him to win muslim support without alienating the rest of british society? Or would he be forced to rely on the white vote and possible be labeled as a fake muslim?

If he was lefty he could look bad but if he was a far right he might have a bit more of a chance -depends on the attitude

ReputationRep:
    yes, if he was more of a amir khan "muslim" kinda guy...LOL

ReputationRep:
    Remember that 5/8 Muslim MPs voted for gay marriage, so they're obviously not all the radical type as you are trying to suggest.

ReputationRep:
    The question of whether they would have to rely on white British support will depend on
    - the demographics of the constituency in which they are running. If you're running in a constituency that is 95% white then funnily enough you will have to rely on the white British vote, whereas this would not be the case in a 75% Muslim constituency (if one actually exists).
    - electoral turnout, and whether or not different ethnic groups have a higher turnout. It's all very well and good supporting someone, but if you don't vote then it doesn't count for anything.

I'd say that Baroness Warsi has attained mainstream success, though I don't know if she is labelled a 'fake Muslim'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    The question of whether they would have to rely on white British support will depend on
    - the demographics of the constituency in which they are running. If you're running in a constituency that is 95% white then funnily enough you will have to rely on the white British vote, whereas this would not be the case in a 75% Muslim constituency (if one actually exists).
    - electoral turnout, and whether or not different ethnic groups have a higher turnout. It's all very well and good supporting someone, but if you don't vote then it doesn't count for anything.

I'd say that Baroness Warsi has attained mainstream success, though I don't know if she is labelled a 'fake Muslim'.
    Actually I'm pretty sure Baroness Warsi is considered a fake muslim. I think Al-Muhajiroun have even held protests against her. My own observations are that the only muslim politicians who have mainstream support in the muslim community are people like Salma Yaqoob or George Galloway (who it is rumored is a muslim although he has never confirmed it). The issue however is that I doubt these politicians would receive mainstream support among the rest of society.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.