Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What is the state of British-American relations? Watch

• View Poll Results: How would you describe British-American relations?
    Good as it is
    56.25%
    Too Close, should be more distant
    18.75%
    Should be closer
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting that while Americans usually take britain for granted (often assuming that britons are just like americans) britons in general often have a much more lively debate about the state of british-american relations. So I figured I would ask what do you think is the state of british-american relations? Is it close, too close, or not close enough?

ReputationRep:
    Under Obama's administration there are no relations to speak of.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...-2012-edition/

ReputationRep:
    Poor. They can't even bring themselves to publicly support our position on the Falklands. After all we've done for them in regards to Iraq and Afganistan.

There is no special relationship between the governments of the US and UK.. that's just some phrase the British media obsesses over. We should forge closer relationships with our neighbours in Europe and capitalise on our already good cultural relationship with Brazil (they're very fond of English culture, sport and such) which is an emerging economic superpower.

ReputationRep:
    we should nuke the USA

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather a closer relationship with the US and the commonwealth and leaving the EU and freeing up £40 million a day

We already are a member of the WTO and UN no need for us to be members of the EU

ReputationRep:
    We're just a poodle to them, that's how they see. The average American doesn't give a toss about about the UK whereas we here debate the pros and cons of the so called 'special relationship'

It's pathetic and needy on our part that whenever the US President or any other senior US politician visits the UK our government begs them to mention the 'special relationship' in whatever speech they have planned

That's just the way it is. If I were an American I wouldn't give a crap about the UK either. The US government have said more than once that the UK is paranoid about Britain's relationship with them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sadly we are largely subservient to the USA although that is no surprise given how much more powerful the USA is politically and economically.

I'd love a closer relationship with the USA because we are natural allies but over time i expect the USA to look for support in Europe than the UK, especially if the UK leaves the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Sadly we are largely subservient to the USA although that is no surprise given how much more powerful the USA is politically and economically.

I'd love a closer relationship with the USA because we are natural allies but over time i expect the USA to look for support in Europe than the UK, especially if the UK leaves the EU.
    Well they don't want a closer relationship with us It's typical ass licking from us Brits that makes the Americans cringe.

The Americans are realizing that Europe is finished. It's why they're now turning to the Pacific and forging new allies over there. They don't give a crap about the UK/EU, especially since we've been in an on off recession since 2008.

ReputationRep:
    The USA sees the UK part of the EU and the Trans-Atlantic Relationsship between the USA and EU still survives when the USA is looking for other spheres, they are working on a Free Trade Agreement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Under Obama's administration there are no relations to speak of.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...-2012-edition/

I'd beg to differ. No change on the normal stuff. Foreign policy, defence etc.

presidents come and go. The senior civil servants stay

ReputationRep:
    Pretty awful. You only have to look at Kerry's response to the Falkland's referendum.
    I see no reason why we should be any closer.
    Our priority should be sorting out the mess that's Europe.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.