The Student Room Group

Criminal law

Please can anyone help basically I need to know about the law surrounding the protection of children 'are children adequately protected by the English law ?' Also any ideas about what you would do if you wanted to change the law regarding the protection of children

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
All I know is that the Sexual Offences Act '03 makes some offences (e.g. statutory rape of a child under 13) strict liability.
So that would suggest they are adequately protected from paedos.

The case of G (2008) backs this up

(it's relevant to one of my units at the moment)
Reply 2
J94
OP
What's your unit about ? I'm actually doing an extended project and have no idea what I should include :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Children and young person's act 1933? HRA? Domestic violence and young persons act?
Children and Young Persons Act 1933 states that parents/guardians have a duty of care towards their children, i.e. to feed them and house them and protect them from danger.

For example in R v Gibbins and Proctor;

The defendant was providing money to his spouse for food who lived at home with the man's child, however, the child wasn't hers but she was still a guardian. The money given to his spouse was for food, but the spouse failed to feed the young child and died of starvation. It was only as the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 held them liable for an omission (failure to act when under a duty to do so)

Hope that contributes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending