Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Am I really an alcoholic or is this a behavioral issue? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im a 22 year old guy.

Ive been drinking since I was 16 and a half, but not on the streets etc. When I started, I had university age friends through a voluntary organisation, and I went the pub with them when we were finished.

By 17 I was drinking a fair bit, to the detriment of my A-Levels and physical fitness. I ended up failing my A-Levels, putting on a ****load of weight and getting depression.

The past few years Ive been working full time and my drinking got worse (especially when I was on the dole for 3 months). I mostly drink alone at home and I do enjoy it, but over the past few months Ive been cutting down in preperation for me getting back on track with my education and life.

The thing is, I drink not out of some craving or urge, but because Im bored. Not too long ago I was working 60 hours a week for 2 months, I felt no urge to drink really, because I simply didn't have the time. Now my hours are 40 per week, which gives me some idle free time that I seem to fill with drinking.

I dont feel Im an alcoholic, I have a drinking problem yes - but my motivations are not alcoholic. Not yet anyway.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't drinking out of an urge to then that would suggest to me that it is an issue of habit. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago where I would drink almost everyday, and so naturally wondered whether it was out of addiction or simply habit. I found out the answer when I moved back to the UK and went without alcohol for several weeks no problem. For me it was habit.

Nevertheless, drinking too much is unhealthy. I'd recommend you tried to regulate how much you drink, and make drinking only on weekends (or some similar system) your new habit.

ReputationRep:
    For me an alcoholic is someone who is dependent on alcohol. Considering you are dependent on alcohol to fill your time, then yes, I would say you are. At the very least you have an unhealthy habit.

Have you tried not drinking, and if so what happens when you don't drink? When I quit smoking in July I went through all the cravings, cold sweats etc and that showed I had definitely been addicted (if that makes sense).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both.

With regard to simply not drinking, I could - honestly - but my problem is all the "free time" activities I do when Im not working, I often do drinking. Watching TV, Video games, listening to music, on the internet etc etc.

When I do these sober, I feel a sense of anxiety that something is missing and I end up going the off-licence.. It makes it very hard to break the habbit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by WannabeCrypto)
    Thanks both.

With regard to simply not drinking, I could - honestly - but my problem is all the "free time" activities I do when Im not working, I often do drinking. Watching TV, Video games, listening to music, on the internet etc etc.

When I do these sober, I feel a sense of anxiety that something is missing and I end up going the off-licence.. It makes it very hard to break the habbit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Know the feeling butt, im in the same situation. Boozing makes me feel &^& in awsome after about 10 or 12 cans of magners. I find the only way to get around this is to have enough money and good weather to go motorbiking for the weekend. Not really interested in video games and the birds round where I live aint that into sex. I do like the outdoors but the weather in my country absolutely sux. Its cloudier than Venus, Colder than Pluto and wetter than a fat womens fanny on saturday night. What else is there to do when your sober?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.