Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

"What do you do in your spare time?" How do I answer that question? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate being asked what I do in my spare time. I sit at my laptop, watch videos, play games, read the news etc.

I don't play sports or do anything else really.

How can I answer this question without saying 'Not much really, I don't do anything productive'?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them what they want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    This^.

But be prepared that they may ask you to expand on it. So don't put something like 'In my spare time I play football' in case the person who has asked the question is a mega fanatic and starts quizzing you about when, where and who your favourite team are and stuff lol (voice of experience)!

ReputationRep:
    ''I take an interest in current affairs, and enjoy learning about the latest advances in gaming and media.''

Volunteer a couple hours of your time at a charity shop, kennels or do some fundraising. It not only looks good on a CV/ application but allows you to say 'I spend my free time volunteering with...'

You might also get a reference out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Make gaming sound like its a team building/team work thing by saying you and some friends from around the world get together to play competitive games online, and keep in touch during, its not as interesting to non-gamers as sport is but it still proves the same ability to work as a team!

Its all about how you word it more than what you actualy say, you can make any dull or non interesting hobby sound like it builds your character if you have the right words!

I love wordsmithing at interviews, I make somthing so boring sound amazing, afterall I have to working in IT lol

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it too much, they really don't care very much and unless you say "I enjoy dragging people to my sex dungeon" your answer probably won't be a deal breaker.

ReputationRep:
    Running around of course

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.