Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started university in 2011. Despite being on a course which I thought was what I wanted a career in, I struggled a lot and by the end of my first year I had lost all interest.
    At the start of my second year, the course became too overwhelming and my only options were to either quit or transfer to another course. As I had worked so hard to get into university in the first place, I refused to quit and had to make a rushed decision on which course to transfer to.
    I chose a course that I thought would be beneficial and that I could get through without struggling. Although I find the main work on the course easy (I'm now studying Fine Art if it makes it easier to understand), the essay side of the course really brings me down. I have never failed an essay until I started this course. I have no interest in artists or having a career as an artist. I chose the course because I had no other choice and it seemed like the best option, as my decision was rushed I didn't think about the academic side.
    Now I'm really struggling and I know that I wont be able to make it through the 3rd year having to write a dissertation on a subject that I couldn't care less about.
    I stand by my choice to not drop out but now that I have already put a deposit down on a flat, I have to stay where I am or I will loose almost £1000.

If I could find another course at the same/a near by university. Would it be possible to change courses again? I know I'd possibly have to go back to the 1st or 2nd year of a course but I'd rather start over than struggle through a course.
    Has anyone here ever changed course more than once?

Any responses would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rooyorkcity)
    I started university in 2011. Despite being on a course which I thought was what I wanted a career in, I struggled a lot and by the end of my first year I had lost all interest.
    At the start of my second year, the course became too overwhelming and my only options were to either quit or transfer to another course. As I had worked so hard to get into university in the first place, I refused to quit and had to make a rushed decision on which course to transfer to.
    I chose a course that I thought would be beneficial and that I could get through without struggling. Although I find the main work on the course easy (I'm now studying Fine Art if it makes it easier to understand), the essay side of the course really brings me down. I have never failed an essay until I started this course. I have no interest in artists or having a career as an artist. I chose the course because I had no other choice and it seemed like the best option, as my decision was rushed I didn't think about the academic side.
    Now I'm really struggling and I know that I wont be able to make it through the 3rd year having to write a dissertation on a subject that I couldn't care less about.
    I stand by my choice to not drop out but now that I have already put a deposit down on a flat, I have to stay where I am or I will loose almost £1000.

If I could find another course at the same/a near by university. Would it be possible to change courses again? I know I'd possibly have to go back to the 1st or 2nd year of a course but I'd rather start over than struggle through a course.
    Has anyone here ever changed course more than once?

Any responses would be very much appreciated, Thanks.
    Hi there,

I went through a similar experience, I have dropped out of University twice before I decided to start a new course at the University of Derby.

They've been much more helpful than my previous universities, and gave me all the support I needed for funding/student finance issues.

Right now, they are hosting some live Q&A sessions so you can ask them all the questions you might have. This can be found here.

I hope you work things out, I know it's really stressful but power through it and stay strong - you'll be fine

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.