Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I started university in 2011. Despite being on a course which I thought was what I wanted a career in, I struggled a lot and by the end of my first year I had lost all interest.
    At the start of my second year, the course became too overwhelming and my only options were to either quit or transfer to another course. As I had worked so hard to get into university in the first place, I refused to quit and had to make a rushed decision on which course to transfer to.
    I chose a course that I thought would be beneficial and that I could get through without struggling. Although I find the main work on the course easy (I'm now studying Fine Art if it makes it easier to understand), the essay side of the course really brings me down. I have never failed an essay until I started this course. I have no interest in artists or having a career as an artist. I chose the course because I had no other choice and it seemed like the best option, as my decision was rushed I didn't think about the academic side.
    Now I'm really struggling and I know that I wont be able to make it through the 3rd year having to write a dissertation on a subject that I couldn't care less about.
    I stand by my choice to not drop out but now that I have already put a deposit down on a flat, I have to stay where I am or I will loose almost £1000.

If I could find another course at the same/a near by university. Would it be possible to change courses again? I know I'd possibly have to go back to the 1st or 2nd year of a course but I'd rather start over than struggle through a course.
    Has anyone here ever changed course more than once?

Any responses would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rooyorkcity)
    I started university in 2011. Despite being on a course which I thought was what I wanted a career in, I struggled a lot and by the end of my first year I had lost all interest.
    At the start of my second year, the course became too overwhelming and my only options were to either quit or transfer to another course. As I had worked so hard to get into university in the first place, I refused to quit and had to make a rushed decision on which course to transfer to.
    I chose a course that I thought would be beneficial and that I could get through without struggling. Although I find the main work on the course easy (I'm now studying Fine Art if it makes it easier to understand), the essay side of the course really brings me down. I have never failed an essay until I started this course. I have no interest in artists or having a career as an artist. I chose the course because I had no other choice and it seemed like the best option, as my decision was rushed I didn't think about the academic side.
    Now I'm really struggling and I know that I wont be able to make it through the 3rd year having to write a dissertation on a subject that I couldn't care less about.
    I stand by my choice to not drop out but now that I have already put a deposit down on a flat, I have to stay where I am or I will loose almost £1000.

If I could find another course at the same/a near by university. Would it be possible to change courses again? I know I'd possibly have to go back to the 1st or 2nd year of a course but I'd rather start over than struggle through a course.
    Has anyone here ever changed course more than once?

Any responses would be very much appreciated, Thanks.
    Hi there,

I went through a similar experience, I have dropped out of University twice before I decided to start a new course at the University of Derby.

They've been much more helpful than my previous universities, and gave me all the support I needed for funding/student finance issues.

Right now, they are hosting some live Q&A sessions so you can ask them all the questions you might have. This can be found here.

I hope you work things out, I know it's really stressful but power through it and stay strong - you'll be fine

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.