Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Ever cheated death? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever come close to a near death experience? Car crashes, illnesses, etc and you felt more appreciative and grateful of life after a near death experience or you just felt the same as before you had the experience?

ReputationRep:
    I've been knocked off my bicycle twice by motorists within the last three years, if that counts.
    Didn't feel any new appreciation for life, just felt pissed off at the car drivers, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Choked and nearly died on a grape - tend not to eat grapes as much.
    Choked and nearly died on an ice lolly - tend not to eat ice lollies as much.
    Choked and nearly died on bacon - tend to make sure I just remember to chew.
    If I do have a grape, I tend to enjoy it a bit more than I think other people would.

ReputationRep:
    I was knocked over by a double decker bus in birkenhead a few hours after i found out i was goin to be a dad back in 2002!! In an induced coma, operations to reduce swelling on the brain, dragged a few feet by the bus taking a few layers of skin off and scars all over the back of my head the docs told my partner an relatives i would be severely brain damaged and would have zero quality of life IF i pulled thru!! I woke up 100% normal. They said it was the amount of alcohol i had drunk what saved me hahaha called me a medical mystery ha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess I kinda did in a sense. I had appendicitis and they wouldn't admit me into hospital for 9 days. I do feel lucky to be here and am grateful for my good health. Although the experience has made me a hypochondriac and I just worry constantly that something is wrong with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmsavk)
    Choked and nearly died on a grape - tend not to eat grapes as much.
    Choked and nearly died on an ice lolly - tend not to eat ice lollies as much.
    Choked and nearly died on bacon - tend to make sure I just remember to chew.
    If I do have a grape, I tend to enjoy it a bit more than I think other people would.

Eating isn't ****ing difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Eating isn't ****ing difficult.
    Sometimes you just forget to chew... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Twice!

first time I choked on a piece of meat, luckily my dad knew the Heimlich and could save me.

Second time was considerably worse and caused me much more panic. I was scuba diving at about 27 meters without my usual diving partner (when diving you dive with a partner, before getting in the water your partner does a last check on your gear). We had planned a 1 hour dive but after about 20 minutes I take a look at how much air I have and at that moment I knew it was over, that little meter showing me how much longer I would be alive was moving very fast and my partner was nowhere to be seen. Swimming upwards quickly when you're diving is not an option as the air expands in your lungs when the pressure of the water decreases. I start banging my tank and luckily for me 2 other divers hear me we ascend to the surface.

My dive partner had not checked my tank and it was leaking. First and last time I dive without my sister.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had bullets hit centimeters away from me, and been on the otherside of stone where they were striking, so I would suppose that would count as being close to a fatal incident.

However I didn't really come away feeling more appreciative , just adrenalin pumped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Ive had bullets hit centimeters away from me, and been on the otherside of stone where they were striking, so I would suppose that would count as being close to a fatal incident.

However I didn't really come away feeling more appreciative , just adrenalin pumped.

Are you military or just from a rough area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 321zero)
    Are you military or just from a rough area?
    Former Military is all.

That said the Tyne/wear darby can get pretty rough.

ReputationRep:
    I once went on two wheels in my car at 40mph; luckily came back down onto all 4. That could've been a pretty nasty situation had I turned the wheel the wrong way.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a coma for 3 weeks with life support. So yeah I guess so lol.
    Skydived a few times if that counts too

ReputationRep:
    Was in a car doing about 60 and there was a jeep with a horsebox coming in the other direction. Suddenly some nutter in a ford fiesta comes out of nowhere, obviously doing way over the speed limit and tries to overtake the jeep just as it's passing us. Luckily we weren't hit and it managed to just make it between us and the jeep but it was pretty close! I didn't really feel a new appreciation of life after it, just adrenaline.

ReputationRep:
    Closest i've been is about a half a meter from being hit by a car going about 60mph. The driver was speeding around a corner and I proably would have been hit if my friend hadn't grabbed me.

ReputationRep:
    When I was a wee little baby, about 1-2 years old, I was seriously ill and hospitalised for many weeks. Does that count? Other than that, luckily I can say no, not yet *touch wood*.

EDIT: oh I forgot, been in a few near misses that almost ended up as car crashes (me in passenger seat) but I think that's fairly common on today's roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayavo83)
    I was knocked over by a double decker bus in birkenhead a few hours after i found out i was goin to be a dad back in 2002!! In an induced coma, operations to reduce swelling on the brain, dragged a few feet by the bus taking a few layers of skin off and scars all over the back of my head the docs told my partner an relatives i would be severely brain damaged and would have zero quality of life IF i pulled thru!! I woke up 100% normal. They said it was the amount of alcohol i had drunk what saved me hahaha called me a medical mystery ha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's awesome man! +1

ReputationRep:
    Not really, but the only time I've felt like I might die I was climbing a cliff and ended up at a grassy bit. Grass kept tearing off and I thought I'd fall.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I had pneumonia last year and was ill for about four weeks. It was viral so there wasn't much the doctor's could do but they gave me antibiotics to stop me getting a secondary infection. It was weird because I was fine and then literally one min later I said to my boyfriend "omg I am so tired, I must sl..." and then I crashed. I woke up with a sore throat and dizziness and then within a few hours I was coughing up blood, fainting and a whole bunch of other things. I cracked my ribs from coughing too hard as well after a few days. I literally thought I was dying. I had to get my boyfriend to take me to the toilet because whenever I stood up, I almost collapsed. I could barely sleep because I constantly felt like the room was spinning, exactly like what it is like when you are drunk. I wouldn't wish all of that on my worst enemy.
    I'm all better now thankfully

I pretend to be dead all the time to try and gain some love and attention from my cats and dog but meh, they don't give a f*ck haha

ReputationRep:
    I nearly drowned and nearly fell in a live volcano ^^

Just call me Jesus.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.