Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Noise cancelling headphones do they really work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to concentrate on revising with background noise and was considering buying a pair of noise-cancelling headphones.

1.) do they actually work so that you can't hear anything at all when you wear them?

2.) can you use them and not play music at all adn just have the noise-cancellign feature on?

3.) if the above is true, can you guys recomend me a type that are good?

Thanks x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have a pair and you don't have use them with music on. I have Bose Quiet Comfort 3. I tried a pair of Philips Noise Cancelling headphones. What a waste of money. I was better off just using my normal Seinhessier ones.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiliaGD)
    I find it hard to concentrate on revising with background noise and was considering buying a pair of noise-cancelling headphones.

1.) do they actually work so that you can't hear anything at all when you wear them?

2.) can you use them and not play music at all adn just have the noise-cancellign feature on?

3.) if the above is true, can you guys recomend me a type that are good?

Thanks x
    There are no pairs which need music playing for the noise cancelling feature to work, it's a self contained feature.

Bose have the best noise cancelling circuitry of any brand of headphones, so if that's the foremost concern then go for the QC3 or QC15, the QC15 being the best if only because they're full sized cups. However these headphone won't operate at all without the battery so they won't work in the opposite situation! Headphones without noise cancelling typically sound better as well. For pairs that work in passive mode, I would recommend the Logitech UE6000, which while not as effective in terms of cancellation sound better in any usage scenario. They're cheaper too.

ReputationRep:
    OK thank you what do you think of the audio-technica ATH-ANC9 compared to the Bose QC 15 i have narrowed it down to these two I am looking for ones that have maximum possible noise cancellation and also a good base when listening to music?

thanks
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiliaGD)
    OK thank you what do you think of the audio-technica ATH-ANC9 compared to the Bose QC 15 i have narrowed it down to these two I am looking for ones that have maximum possible noise cancellation and also a good base when listening to music?

thanks
    The QC15 really do have the last word when it comes to noise cancelling quality and the best combination of ANC and audio fidelity. If noise cancelling is the absolute priority, get them and you won't be disappointed. I'd choose them over the Technicas any day for your particular needs. If you'd rather have a higher fidelity, bassier headphone, then I must once again point you at the UE6000, they're really great. And again, they can be used passively unlike Bose.

ReputationRep:
    Why not buy a bag of cheap disposable earplugs, I'm a light sleeper so use moldex 7800's every night to sleep , you can get a bag of 50 or 100, or something for £8. I wouldn't be able to work with a set of noise cancelling cans on , every pair I have listened to add considerable amounts of unwanted noise (usualy a lot of hiss) . Why not get cheap disposable ear plugs and a set of closed back headphones ? there are lots of closed cans to choose from.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.