Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Which GCSE revision and learning books?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello this is my first post on here!!

I’m 30 years old and I would like to re-sit my GCSE exams to improve grades and giving me a better chance of changing career. I have been looking on http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk website and I am little confused as to which books I require (there are so many!). I would like to re-sit Maths, English and Science GCSE at the higher tier.

Please bear in mind this will be my only source of learning and revision, not sure if thats possible either so any feed back would be great.

Thanks for reading this post and I look forward to your responses.

Regards

James

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Firstly, do you know which exam boards you are sitting the exams in? If you don't, then perhaps decide these first because then you can find the tailored made GCSE books for those particular exam boards. I know 'CGP' covers most of the exam boards but I feel it's always better to get a book officially made by the people who are writing your exam!
    Also, once you know which exam board you're using you can look up the specific specification for each subject (online) so you know EXACTLY what is going to be tested!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm not sure which exam board will be used :confused: thats just opened up a new question. How do I find that out, are there different boards for certain areas of the UK?

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of different exam boards, Edexcel, OCR, AQA.
    For the science one I would recommend the CGP Core Science. Thats the one I'm using at the moment and it covers most of the stuff.
    (personal experience)

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to do the exams at a college or 100 per cent on your own?

Some exams require coursework to be handed in which would need to be marked, might be best if you look at Igcses which I don't think have coursework if your going at it alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firewire)
    Thanks, I'm not sure which exam board will be used :confused: thats just opened up a new question. How do I find that out, are there different boards for certain areas of the UK?
    Hello! Yeah as the above TSR's said there are a couple, I personally did my maths with edexcel and sciences with AQA, I would definitely recommend AQA for science. Here's an example chemistry book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Science-...3301213&sr=8-8

So you can see it's specifically tailored to the exam. There are equivalent books for biology and physics too. I would say those textbooks are all you need to get a solid grade.

Although, it has been a while since i did GCSE science, but I seem to recall graded experiments too that they did in school... would you need to do these aswell?!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou all for replying,

I have decided to go with Edexcel for maths, I am still researching for my English because Im trying to find one that doesn't require course work. Maths was easy because course work was dropped about two years ago...so i'm told.
    As for the Science again still looking into whats a available, when I sat my exams for this it was a double mark and I am pretty sure we did a paper for each subject (1999 so long ago)

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I'm also an older student and I've been using Autology (http://www.autology.org) to get a my study notes together. They've also got an online shop where you can buy individual books from people like Hodder and then access them on line.

Hope that helps - good luck with your studies.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.