Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to submit my AS level choices by next thursday... I am looking at two main carrer paths; Finance and Medecine.

I have chosen... Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology, I am looking at a 5th AS, either English Lang, History Modern, Economics or Critical Thinking. Has anybody got any advise, and anybody who has taken any of these courses - could you describe what they are like.

S

ReputationRep:
    They all seem pretty legitimate. I'd suggest picking something from either Economics, English Lit., or History.

With any of them you've got a damn good set of AS levels, albeit hard. Choose wisely, and make sure you can handle the work.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    i'd go for either english lit or history- gives u a nice well-rounded set of A levels, shows uni's that you're good at everything, not just the sciency stuff. from personal experience i've found that sciences can be very dry (altho this may not be the case everywhere) and theres little room for debating or thinking laterally in the way u can with english and history. all the scientists in my college generally tend to be very straight-thinking people, theres very little creativity in them at all

i do speak for only one tiny 6th form however, may not be the case in all colleges/schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    I have to submit my AS level choices by next thursday... I am looking at two main carrer paths; Finance and Medecine.

I have chosen... Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology, I am looking at a 5th AS, either English Lang, History Modern, Economics or Critical Thinking. Has anybody got any advise, and anybody who has taken any of these courses - could you describe what they are like.

S
    i'd suggest learning to spell medicine before you make any further decisions.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomTurtle)
    i'd suggest learning to spell medicine before you make any further decisions.

good luck
    What do you get out of pointing out somebody else's mistake? It was probably just a typing error anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    ...little room for debating or thinking laterally in the way u can with english and history. all the scientists in my college generally tend to be very straight-thinking people, theres very little creativity in them at all
    Just wait until you see scientists at uni, you need to have a good capacity for lateral thinking and mathematical creativity to solve problems.

ReputationRep:
    I Understand Why U Chose Maths But Why 2. What Is The Difference Between Normal One And Further Maths. I'm Thinking Of Exactly The Same Direction So May Be U Could Email Me. I Chose Maths, Physics, Biology And Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    I Understand Why U Chose Maths But Why 2. What Is The Difference Between Normal One And Further Maths. I'm Thinking Of Exactly The Same Direction So May Be U Could Email Me. I Chose Maths, Physics, Biology And Chemistry.
    normal one is 6 modules over 2 years further maths is 12 modules? :eek: or am i wrong here

ReputationRep:
    Advice for Medicine... well your choices are valid for medicine. For your AS I would do something Arts based, as a lot of med school specify you need a non-science A or AS (diversity of student, 'Tommorrow's Doctors' and all that).

You should be looking (if you haven't already) at medically related work experience by now, as this is another key determining factor med schools look at when choosing who to interview.

Good luck with what ever you decide. If you want any med related hints, tips and info feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FLUFFY)
    Advice for Medicine... well your choices are valid for medicine. For your AS I would do something Arts based, as a lot of med school specify you need a non-science A or AS (diversity of student, 'Tommorrow's Doctors' and all that).
    That's not true at all! Most of them really don't care - my friend got 2offers for medicine with just sciences at A-Level. Most of the uni's would rather see good grades and tonnes of work experience than someone with English AS!

Re: original question, I would probably choce economics as your 5th subject. This would be ideal for a career in finance, although history and eng lit would also be good (just involve a lot more coursework and essays which will be time-consuming!!!). Wouldn't recommend critical thinking as although some uni's like it, others see it as a bit of a doss subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    That's not true at all! Most of them really don't care - my friend got 2offers for medicine with just sciences at A-Level. Most of the uni's would rather see good grades and tonnes of work experience than someone with English AS!!
    Some medical schools stipulate that you must offer an arts subject at least to AS level. I'll post on the https://www.medschoolguide.co.uk board and see if I can generate a list of them for you. I certainly know of people rejected for not having an arts subject - was one of the northern unis - will also try searching this post out and copying the info across.

ReputationRep:
    I only know UCL wants an arts subject. To me it sounds a bit too fussy, I do enough arts in my spare time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)

S
    I would pick either Economics or modern History, depending on what suits your taste. I am taking Economics in IB SL and I am glad I did. It sort of helps you understand politics a lot better (eg: Why Blair wants the top up fees, why increasing taxes to fund social programmes could backfire and damage the social system etc etc )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    I would pick either Economics or modern History, depending on what suits your taste. I am taking Economics in IB SL and I am glad I did. It sort of helps you understand politics a lot better (eg: Why Blair wants the top up fees, why increasing taxes to fund social programmes could backfire and damage the social system etc etc )

Dude, youre norweigan why would top up fees matter to you?

ReputationRep:
    Definetly history, but if physocolgy is offered you should consider taking it as it is a science and mught be useful for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    Definetly history, but if physocolgy is offered you should consider taking it as it is a science and mught be useful for medicine?
    psycology (thats how you spell it!) is not a science its a social science, i.e. an arts subject, sciences are physics, maths, bio, and chem

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing finance and medicine, you have chose the right AS level courses. For finance, you should take economics as your 5th subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    psycology (thats how you spell it!)
    Actually, it's psychology.

ReputationRep:
    and at a lot of universities it is a science (not a social science)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    and at a lot of universities it is a science (not a social science)
    That depends on if there's an experimental/pratical component to the course or not. Most are taught as BAs. Things like experimental psychology are BScs...

And at AS/A2 it is definitely classed as an art/humanity.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.