Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Looking For Good Pubs/Clubs In Edinburgh Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm 17 just now but I'll be 18 when uni starts after the Summer. Napier is my first choice and I'm looking to move into Edinburgh. Looking to find some decent pubs/clubs. Particularly on the look out for places with good music. Any decent bars that are known to do 60s/retro stuff, Northern Soul? I know Liquid Rooms do Madchester once a month for stuff like Stone Roses/Oasis/Primal Scream/Happy Mondays. Are there any decent clubs that avoid attracting neds and playing terrible clubland remixes all night? I'm looking for places that play some old skool house/rave (Future Sound of London/808 State/Faithless/Underworld) sort of thing. I'm not particularly clued up, at the minute. But it'd be nice to know places to check out in advance. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    The Hive, definitely. :yes:

Sorry to be a ****, I'll reply properly in a bit when I've got the time.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard The Hive is semi-decent, from some others studying in Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid the Hive like the plague, everybody in there seems to just want to get so drunk they throw up. However the music they play in they're backroom is quite similar to what you've described.

Liquid Rooms play that sort of music most nights they're open, check out the Bongo Club if it's still open.

Other than that there's not much else to add.

Maybe visit Cav on a Sunday, avoid George St Club as they're either full of pretentious students and yuppies or even worse chavs who act pretentious.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You've summed up everything I've heard from my mates that live in Edinburgh, to be honest. I've been told from a few people that Hive really isn't up their street, as it's always filled with underagers and is a drunken hotbed for instagram. Perhaps you need to catch it on a good night, I'm not sure. I've never been. Cheers for the feedback, though.

ReputationRep:
    Right, sorry for putting the wee joke in there, I've forgotten that if you're not familiar with Edinburgh, you will consequentially not be familar with the hideous venue that is the Hive. (On that note, avoid Cav as well).

Agreed with everyone above who have said that the George St. clubs are pretentious piles of [email protected] Which might be your thing. Which is perfectly fine. But if not:

Liquid Rooms or Bongo. I've not been to Liquid Rooms for a club night apart from their monthly Madchester gig (which is incredible, by the way!) but quite a few folk I know really love it, and from the couple of times I've been there for gigs, it's great. Bongo have been fantastic, and while they've moved this year and I don't like the new venue quite as much, it's the same excellent venue for both gigs and club nights. Cab Vol is worth a mention as well, Thursdays are a good night. Although I think for Napier, Wednesday is a popular night out according to some friends that go there.

Hope this is a start! You'll enjoy Edinburgh no matter what, I'll reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Just read this. Are you in Edinburgh now mate?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.