Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I started a new job like nearly two months ago and when I got my first wages I got taxed £70 although I shouldn't have cause it's only part time and I earn just over £4k, I think I was on an emergency tax code or something.
    How do I resolve this and get a refund on the £70?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Do you now have the correct tax code?

Have a look here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexxturnerr)
    I started a new job like nearly two months ago and when I got my first wages I got taxed £70 although I shouldn't have cause it's only part time and I earn just over £4k, I think I was on an emergency tax code or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is quite common to be put on an emergency tax code when you first start a new job if a P45/P46 isn't filled out in time for your first pay, but don't worry you are totally entitled to your money back When this happened to me, my employer sorted it all out for me so you could always ask your manager about the situation? If your manager is unable to do anything, you could contact the Citizens Advice Bureau, they can help with this sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me aswell but after a while I was sent a cheque giving me all the money I was taxed back

ReputationRep:
    The tax year ends at the end of this month so after that you can claim the money back.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me! I rang HMRC on 0845 300 0627 (make sure you have your NI number handy) and they changed my tax code to the right one, (they should send you a letter confirming this) and I got all the money back next time I got paid

ReputationRep:
    Same happened to me when I started, I just handed in a P46 form to my employers and they sorted it out

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phone your local tax office (you should be able to fine a phone number on the internet) and phone them up. Ive phoned them up before and they have always been pretty good and got stuff sorted quick.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I had this. Unless things have changed, you fill in a P46 and you get the money back when you next get paid.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't be bothered to do anything they will eventually send you a cheque for it but don't hold your breath!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    it will come back to you automatically-some came back within a week or 2, then i got another bit like a year later

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Happened to me for MONTHS they kept saying that I needed paperwork from my old job so in the end I just gave up as the tax office were no help and nor was my work place. Then one day I had a letter from the tax office with a cheque for £450!

So yeah try and give the tax office a call and they should help you out

ReputationRep:
    On the tax code of 1060L i've earnt £7000 to the current with no tax paid apart from national insurance, but for the last two weeks i have been taxed on my pay to the total amount of £66, why have i all of sudden started to be taxed when i havent earned over £10,600? If not should i contact HMRC about this? Can anyone explain why this is happening?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenkstah96)
    On the tax code of 1060L i've earnt £7000 to the current with no tax paid apart from national insurance, but for the last two weeks i have been taxed on my pay to the total amount of £66, why have i all of sudden started to be taxed when i havent earned over £10,600? If not should i contact HMRC about this? Can anyone explain why this is happening?
    Because they assume you'll be earning the same amount each week. Therefore, work it out weekly.

This is an old thread. You're better off starting a new thread as this one is pretty old.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.