Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

gaming community and abuse Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollymayy)
    Haha wheres my invite?! CoD. You aint got nothinggggggg on me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh please! I said if and that was a massive if!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Especially LoL, the abuse on there is absolutely notorious and it's something the developers are aware of and are trying to combat
    I hear this a lot and I play LoL a lot but I've never heard this aside from the odd spoilt brat. On EUW, most people don't have English as their first language/mother tongue so I guess that's why perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Oh please! I said if and that was a massive if!
    Hahaha! I smell competition!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've never had that problem - CoD is full of 12 year old idiots who rage and troll all day - I just dominate them until they rage quit - it's rather fun if you take all their abuse as comedy.

Once had a guy raging and swearing at me in an SnD lobby for no reason so I popped out my noob-tube class next game and spawn killed him three times in a row and he rage-quit. I almost collapsed with laughter! Ahhhhhh fun times.

Then again... a KD Ratio >3 does help against trollers

ReputationRep:
    I get a lot of crap on Xbox live, particularly on COD and Halo, ranging from "get back in the kitchen" and "girls are crap at xbox" to full on death and rape threats. I just deal with it by killing the crap out of them.

Tbh it's all part of the big internet anonymity problem, when you can hide behind a mask you can let out your inner bully, and take out all your issues on unsuspecting players. It's not pleasant but it's not exactly new.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait til you see the League of Legends community, the amount of scumbags is monumental
    Shame, cause it's a really good game

ReputationRep:
    The LoL EUW community is notorious for its absolute ****ery.

ReputationRep:
    I play COD games on PS3, they are full of people shouting BS down the mic all game every game lol It doesnt make me feel bad or hurt or anything, even when its directed at me, but just voices over a game annoys the hell out of me, especially when its crazy loud.

I just mute all players/settings in games because I find it distracting, sorted

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the male/female angle but I definitely get my share of abuse on games like Age Of Empires for the occasional error of judgement, or even using a strategy my teammates don't understand. "U ****ING NOOB, WHAT R U DOING ****ING *******, BLOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY1 BLOCK THIS NOOB HE COST US THE GAME"

Then the stats come up at the end of the game showing I did better than they did :rolleyes:

A lot of video gamers seem to have some pretty serious anger issues. Though to be fair it can be pretty funny letting off steam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Just wondering after watching a penny arcade if anyone (especially girl gamers) have been victimised by the minority of troll gamers

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

Id never heard of the bullying that resulted in a girl gamer dropping out of a tournament and as im not a console gamer ive never really experinced it.

Playing wow and doing dungeons and just standing in cities and you do see the morons hurling random abuse - but not so much in instances in dungeons as its easy to kick someone out of a group and chuck em on chat services.

So has anyone experianced bullying on games?
    I've been playing assault cube recently. I get very angry and vocal very quickly, but remain rational and constructive.

"gay" when used in a negative manner is derogatory. And if you think it's not consider this, before "Gay", we had "Fag". Now I see people writing "Homo" as well.

I also see a lot of rape jokes.

And the N word is relatively prevalent.

My reaction tends to be this:
    "don't be homophobic/a bigot/rape jokes aren't funny".

Then if it continues "/kick <number>cn homophobia/bigotry/perpetuating_rape

But sometimes it's the admin that's doing it, as every server has admins and they are owned privately, rather than by the game itself.

ReputationRep:
    I used to play Halo on PC alot and even though it didn't happen that often I have been trolled and called all kind of things. Its definitely worse for gamers who happen to be girls, but the security of anonymity means that no race, gender or person of alternative sexual preferance is safe.
    When the risk of repercussion is low enough people will say and/or do all kinds of things. If you take personally what strangers over the internet throw at you then your not going to last very long I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Especially LoL, the abuse on there is absolutely notorious and it's something the developers are aware of and are trying to combat
    The reason people get mad in lol/dota and the like is because one idiot feeding the opposition means you will lose the game. I'm not sure about lol, but in dota you're punished for leaving games early, basically meaning you end up wasting 30-40 mins on a game which was lost from 10 minutes in. This is made worse by the fact lots of people on pubs will carry on farming instead of pushing after 20 mins when they could just win.

It's so much worse than cod because in cod everyone is equally as powerful, whereas if someone is useless in dota, not only do they contribute nothing to the team, but they make the opposition more powerful than you, even if you've been doing your job perfectly.

I never play dota without 4 other friends these days, partly because i'm not as into it as I was, but also I got sick of random idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I've been playing assault cube recently. I get very angry and vocal very quickly, but remain rational and constructive.

"gay" when used in a negative manner is derogatory. And if you think it's not consider this, before "Gay", we had "Fag". Now I see people writing "Homo" as well.

I also see a lot of rape jokes.

And the N word is relatively prevalent.

My reaction tends to be this:
    "don't be homophobic/a bigot/rape jokes aren't funny".

Then if it continues "/kick <number>cn homophobia/bigotry/perpetuating_rape

But sometimes it's the admin that's doing it, as every server has admins and they are owned privately, rather than by the game itself.
    Although this gets rid of the immediate problem, I think it exacerbates the situation overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Although this gets rid of the immediate problem, I think it exacerbates the situation overall.
    I'm not sure how that exacerbates the situation.

ReputationRep:
    You're all a bunch of tossers!

Only joking.

I never understand abuse in games. You get kids spouting off racist, homophobic, and sexist remarks every second in most 'mainstream' games and it is one of the things which has deterred me from them. Never experienced bullying myself but have been stalked for a couple of COD games because I told somebody to shut up for being abusive to somebody else. It's a hard thing to kick out of gaming, but hopefully the people with these poor attitudes never amount to anything in life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how that exacerbates the situation.
    Because the troll gets what they want; a reaction and some anger. They snigger to themselves a little, see it's worked and then do it again to get the same kick out of it. That's just my personal take on it.

I would suggest ignoring is more effective. Makes them bored and less likely to try again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Because the troll gets what they want; a reaction and some anger. They snigger to themselves a little, see it's worked and then do it again to get the same kick out of it. That's just my personal take on it.

I would suggest ignoring is more effective. Makes them bored and less likely to try again.
    A lot of people get angry when they get kicked, they see it as rejection. Which I think can be quite powerful. But I can see your argument.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people get angry when they get kicked, they see it as rejection. Which I think can be quite powerful. But I can see your argument.
    Fair enough. Looks like either applies. I think it should just depend on the situation but my personal reaction is either to react or troll harder.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here a WoW player? This is some dude raging at Sco (from Method). Funny times.

https://soundcloud.com/saf-9/orospusil

Pretty standard on WoW if you're using a chat client. Actually, this seems pretty calm now. Still hilarious though!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.