Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have two offers from Uni of Southampton, one for Psychology and one for Applied Social Science (Criminology)

Psychology is more general, but I think I would find criminology more interesting, and it has lower grade boundaries, but I'm worried employers won't regard it as well?

I really don't know which is better??

ReputationRep:
    Which one is 'better' depends on what you want to do with the degree. Criminology's relatively new, so a lot of uni requirements are a little lower. I've got two of the books from the 1st year criminology reading list at southampton, and it looks pretty good to me

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do after uni? If you aren't sure, do psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliestia)
    I have two offers from Uni of Southampton, one for Psychology and one for Applied Social Science (Criminology)

Psychology is more general, but I think I would find criminology more interesting, and it has lower grade boundaries, but I'm worried employers won't regard it as well?

I really don't know which is better??
    Well if you want to be on the safe side you can do a joint honours in both subjects that way your preparing yourself and enjoying reading criminology.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    well I wanted to work with the police, i already volunteer there, so that's why I thought criminology.
    I'd like to do a joint honours, but i don't know if that's possible, any ideas how to find out about it?

ReputationRep:
    Why not both?
    I applied for Criminology, Psychology and the Applied Social Sciences (Criminology and Psychological Studies). I accepted the last offer as I couldn't decide between criminology and psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton's BSc Criminology degree does deal with criminal psychology as well, throughout all 3 years, and particularly in the third year where you may take modules on Sexuality and Intimacy, Psychological Disorders, and Violent & Sexual Offenders. I'm hopefully going to join the soon-to-be-founded National Crime Agency, so if you're committed to joining the police I'd say go for criminology and maybe look into the NCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deimos-)
    Southampton's BSc Criminology degree does deal with criminal psychology as well, throughout all 3 years, and particularly in the third year where you may take modules on Sexuality and Intimacy, Psychological Disorders, and Violent & Sexual Offenders. I'm hopefully going to join the soon-to-be-founded National Crime Agency, so if you're committed to joining the police I'd say go for criminology and maybe look into the NCA.
    If the police would be just as happy with criminology, I think I'd find that more interesting, and I think choosing something I enjoy should be most important..

Ahh it's just 3 years of my life, stress!

That NCA sounds very interesting :-)

ReputationRep:
    hi there! have you firmed for criminology and psycho studies for this autumn? i am asking you because i have and i already met some of our future clasmmates... we'd like to get to know as many as we can!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, yes I chose Criminology in the end what did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, yes I chose Criminology in the end what did you choose?
    Well the university has a course that includes both,so i went for applied soc. sciences (criminology and psychology)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lPriscilla)
    Well the university has a course that includes both,so i went for applied soc. sciences (criminology and psychology)
    Ah, I am applied soc. sciences (criminology), so we might have some modules together!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I am applied soc. sciences (criminology), so we might have some modules together!!!
    that is great!! send me a link of your fb account so i can add you in my and our facebook page list

ReputationRep:
    I've just my first year doing the straight Criminology course and you have a lot of opportunities to take optional psychology modules alongside your core modules if that makes a difference to you

ReputationRep:
    I am doing criminology with psychology undergrad this year at Southampton uni. does anyone have an old reading list? or even better is anyone selling any books/know where to get them cheap?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.