The Student Room Group

BCU midwifery 2013

Just wondering if anyone has also received an offer from Birmingham City University for Midwifery 2013?

If so what are you plans for accommodation.... i am already a postgrad from the University of Birmingham so i dont really want to go back into halls! Kind of been there done that kind of thing, but apparently lots of people who study Midwifery are mature students or people in the same situation as me!

Just wanted to see what other Midwifery undergrads were thinking !

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi I've got an offer for Midwifery at BCU. I'm only 18 so I haven't been there done that but the halls don't look very nice so I'm looking at private student accommodation and there's quite a lot! I think that the halls provided by BCU, on the other hand, are just for health students so I won't imagine that it will be a problem with regards noise and early/late shifts. The only thing about private accommodation is I'd be worried about not making friends and walking back on my own If we went out etc. Im expecting that there will be more mature students from interview experience too! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thats cool, are you def accepting your offer to BCU!? Oh i didnt know they had halls especially for health students, i did wonder as when i was a fresher and living in halls i cant imagine anything worse then coming home from a night shift to that, so noisy and metal 24/7! Also as i have already done a degree i cant get another loan and student halls are always pretty expensive. Where was the private accommodation you were looking at? I think you wont have a problem making friends, midwifery is such a small course you are bound to meet people and even if there in halls for first year you can go on to live with them in 2nd .... thats what i did !

btw im just about to graduate so im only 21, not that much older than you !! :smile:
I've still got to hear from DMU but I think Birmingham will be my firm as the hospitals are so good! There still halls but owned by different companies such as opal, liberty, crm etc. but the ones provided on the uni are adjacent to the faculty of health whereas these have walking distance to both the faculty of the health and the hospital, the private ones are more expensive than the ones BCU provides as well. Ah that's good what degree did you do before? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
i studied English at UOB which is quite different to Midwifery! i was in liberty of living accomodation in my first year and they were quite good, its just annoying that they tell us so late in the year as i could of lived in selly oak (student town) with my friends doing masters but oh well ! i will write in here if i find anything good, it might be a case of finding a letting house or something! who knows ! yeh BCU hospitals are fab! its all so exciting!!!! x
Oh that's so annoying. Have you firmed your offer yet? Do you get to chose which hospital you'd rather have for placement? I'm not sure whether to look for accommodation near the hospital or nearer seacole building. I'm still unsure whether city south would be the best option for my first year to meet everyone, health care students with the same commitments and hardly any walk to lectures etc :/ x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi, other future BCU midwifery students :smile:

Ive also firmed my offer for BCU so fingers crossed ill be going there in the summer if my exams go well. Im also unsure whether I should be looking at renting close to a hospital or the university. Does any of you know how the placements work here? im looking into privately renting as my partner is from Birmingham and is eager to move closer to his family.

Congrats on your offers!
Congrats to you too! What exams are you taking in Summer? Are you going to be driving to placement etc? I haven't firmed my offer yet cos I'm waiting to hear from somewhere else but I think Birmingham will be my first anyway! I guess the only thing with renting near the hospital you might not get placed at that one and then it would be very frustrating. I'm not sure how it works but apparently we get to chose or 1st then 2nd choice of placement but then I don't know when we would find out?! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you! Im doing my last A-level exams in the summer (im 19 though) and the exams are Human bio, English lit and Sociology. I have my driving test in two moths but im determined to pass before I go to uni so I can drive to placements. That is a good point, I wasnt sure if before you go to uni if you are told which hospital you are at, but then again that might not be where you are for a whole year, so I think it would be best to rent near the hospital. I am so organised so I am finding this hard not being able to plan yet. Good luck for the other uni you are waiting to hear from. Are you doing any exams in the summer or are you on a gap year etc? Hopefully see you in september! x
Original post by pinky-
Thank you! Im doing my last A-level exams in the summer (im 19 though) and the exams are Human bio, English lit and Sociology. I have my driving test in two moths but im determined to pass before I go to uni so I can drive to placements. That is a good point, I wasnt sure if before you go to uni if you are told which hospital you are at, but then again that might not be where you are for a whole year, so I think it would be best to rent near the hospital. I am so organised so I am finding this hard not being able to plan yet. Good luck for the other uni you are waiting to hear from. Are you doing any exams in the summer or are you on a gap year etc? Hopefully see you in september! x

Ah that's good, nice to know someone coming straight from A Levels! I've got Biology, Psychology and Dance exams in summer. Are you planning to rent a house/flat with your boyfriend? Or do private student accommodation? Yeah me too! I hate not knowing I just want to book accommodation and so student finance now! I don't drive but I really want to pass before uni but I doubt I'd bring a car anyway because the lack of parking and I can't really afford one anyway atm! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Yeah its nice to know that you are too! I am hoping to rent with my boyfriend as he is looking to move back there anyway and it would be helpful having someone with local knowledge about as i'm useless with directions and finding things. We seem to be in the same position atm, are you definately thinking against the hall then?- I didnt like the look of them, not sure if i'm just being picky though. x
Reply 11
If you want to be near the hospital then look around selly oak.... It's a student town I live there at the moment and both bcu and uob students rent from houses here..... X

Also I know both of you are doing our a levels so your offer will be conditional on your grades this summer but do you have any other requirements ? Sorry strange question! X
Reply 12
I also have an offer for midwifery at BCU but I haven't made a firm choice yet as I am waiting to hear back from other places but it will probably be my first choice. I'm from Northern Ireland and just finishing my A-levels so I think I will do the whole halls thing as I don't know my way around and I would like the uni experience
Reply 13
Hiya, I'm just questioning you on the accomodation front. I'm in the same position as you but wanting to study Speech and Language Therapy at BCU. I want to live in private accomodation as Im not too keen on the uni ones. Have you looked around IQ or Opal? I'm worried that there wont be anyone from BCU there or they will be 3rd years.
Any help would be appreciated! xx
Does anyone know if there is a pre-programme or visit day for people with offers at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Lucy-Rebecca
Does anyone know if there is a pre-programme or visit day for people with offers at all?

Well terms that day in June with the health checks and stuff so I assume that that will also be a visiting day!
Get 2 things done at once
Reply 16
How do you know that we have a the health tests and stuff in June ? I have received my offer on UCAS etc but haven't got anything else, was expecting some info through the posts or something ! x
Reply 17
Original post by charstorrar
How do you know that we have a the health tests and stuff in June ? I have received my offer on UCAS etc but haven't got anything else, was expecting some info through the posts or something ! x

it was on that slideshow that was shown in the waiting room before your interview! I haven't heard anything else about it but I haven't confirmed my offer yet
Reply 18
Original post by Lucy-Kate
Hiya, I'm just questioning you on the accomodation front. I'm in the same position as you but wanting to study Speech and Language Therapy at BCU. I want to live in private accomodation as Im not too keen on the uni ones. Have you looked around IQ or Opal? I'm worried that there wont be anyone from BCU there or they will be 3rd years.
Any help would be appreciated! xx

I'm doing speech and language therapy and have applied for Opal :smile:
There's at least 6 of us booked into iQ now. It's right by a train st to go to hospitals/town as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest