Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    Ugh 'kan' goes to the end -.- ugh, it's like German, silly mistake dank je, maar ik zou dat eigenlijk niet in een gesprek kunnen zeggen :P
    Nope! that's not the case here!!
    hint...I like how you said "kunnen zeggen" instead of "zeggen kunnen"
    which would be very German / old school sounding...

"begrijpen kan" ??? ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    It's me again. I'm thinking about doing a third language (it would be the fourth one, as Latin can be counted as foreign language indeed), but there are just two languages which come into question, namely French and Spanish, as these ones are accepted as global languages. Which of them would you recommend and why? in other words: which of them is easier to learn or which of them is closer to Latin? French or Spanish?
    It depends on which one you actually have more interest. I always find basing your decision on 'usefulness' as academic, when you'll only advance in a meaningful manner if you actually have the interest and willpower to continue, which I think only exists when you have appreciation and curiosity for said language. Choosing for the sake of employability is not a good enough reason for your brain to actually care. In terms of easiness...French starts out hard-ish sort of and gets a bit easier...Spanish starts out fairly easy and then finds more and more things to complicate as you get further on, but they're both master-able languages indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    Nope! that's not the case here!!
    hint...I like how you said "kunnen zeggen" instead of "zeggen kunnen"
    which would be very German / old school sounding...

"begrijpen kan" ??? ;D
    It's after dat? :confused: so dat sends the verb 'Kan' to the end after 'begrijpen'?

ReputationRep:
    Het leuke is dat ik nog kan begrijpen wat je zegt, zonder een woordenboek nodig te hebben ^^ yay Nederlands ^^
    Dat is wat ik bedoelde
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    x
    I don't intend to learn another foreign language for employability sake, but to have more possibilities to communicate. I thought about Japanese, but it has no similarity to European languages at all, nevertheless it is an interesting language.

ReputationRep:
    I don't intend to learn another foreign language for employability sake, but to have more possibilities to communicate. I thought about Japanese, but it has no similarity to European languages at all, nevertheless it is an interesting language.
    I'd say Spanish would be easier (and more fun... and more awesome) but I'm a little biased.

Edit: Or you could go completely crazy and learn Danish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'd say Spanish would be easier (and more fun... and more awesome) but I'm a little biased.

Edit: Or you could go completely crazy and learn Danish.
    Why do you prefer Spanish?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should try Japanese. You have interest in it, and that's the most important thing I think in a language learning process. But for more possibilities to communicate, either of them gives you lots - French perhaps more in the real world because Germany borders it, but on the Internet, perhaps more with Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    Dat is wat ik bedoelde
    Yaay ^^ er is nog steeds veel te veel te leren :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yaay ^^ er is nog steeds veel te veel te leren :eek:

Heb jij een GCSE Dutch reading paper al geprobeerd?
    Ik denk jij nu al een A daarin zou kunnen halen!

ReputationRep:

Heb jij een GCSE Dutch reading paper al geprobeerd?
    Ik denk jij nu al een A daarin zou kunnen halen!
    I'm about to give it a go (at midnight....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Why do you prefer Spanish?
    I just think it sounds better, looks better, more people as a whole speak it and such a massive variety of countries speak it... it's a lot more straightforward in pronunciation in terms of how it's written as well. Mainly though I think France has always just seemed a bit too close to home... and I have no great desire to holiday in France (slight English-French thing going on there probably, not in the sense that I dislike the French, but in the sense that I have been influenced by the perhaps unfair perception of the French as rather stand-offish and arrogant towards English people).

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to give it a go (at midnight....)
    Deze kat blijft lang wakker!
    Diese Katze bleibt lang aufgeweckt(?) :P

It shouldn't take you too long tbh...With very little effort, I managed a 49/50 on the one I did 2 years ago...:yep: It was the verkakte speaking exam which really dragged my GCSE grade down though! :mad:

ReputationRep:

It shouldn't take you too long tbh...With very little effort, I managed a 49/50 on the one I did 2 years ago...:yep: It was the verkakte speaking exam which really dragged my GCSE grade down though! :mad:
    Hahaha I got 37/50 It was ehhhhh I started off not bad and then got a bit better, and then with the fill in the gaps with actual sentences in Dutch...no

ReputationRep:

Although if I'm honest...there was one question where they wanted 'samen'. And I knew that they wanted the concept of 'together'...but I just didn't know the word for 'together', so I put 'zusammen' and gave myself the mark for knowing what I needed but not the actual word

ReputationRep:
    Ah ¿Desde cuántos años lo has estudiado?
    He estudiado el francés desde hace tuve seis años, y el español durante tres años

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I just think it sounds better, looks better, more people as a whole speak it and such a massive variety of countries speak it... it's a lot more straightforward in pronunciation in terms of how it's written as well. Mainly though I think France has always just seemed a bit too close to home... and I have no great desire to holiday in France (slight English-French thing going on there probably, not in the sense that I dislike the French, but in the sense that I have been influenced by the perhaps unfair perception of the French as rather stand-offish and arrogant towards English people).
    Fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    Although if I'm honest...there was one question where they wanted 'samen'. And I knew that they wanted the concept of 'together'...but I just didn't know the word for 'together', so I put 'zusammen' and gave myself the mark for knowing what I needed but not the actual word
    LOL 'zusammen' !! atleast make it "tesamen" ;D
    37/50 on a single-tier reading exam is pretty good!
    Dutch just happens to have slightly higher than average geade boundaries, so that would have gotten you a low 'B' I think...(49/50 raw marks did not get me full UMS!) ><

ReputationRep:
    Ce matin, je suis allé au centre ville! J'ai acheté des chaussures et un bag de Jeff Banks! Je les aime beaucoup :ahee:

Mais le bag... C'était expensif (a mon avis...)

Je l'adore, alors... Ce n'est pas important :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Ce matin, je suis allé au centre ville! J'ai acheté des chaussures et un bag de Jeff Banks! Je les aime beaucoup :ahee:

Mais le bag... C'était expensif (a mon avis...)

Je l'adore, alors... Ce n'est pas important :awesome:
    Très chic! All the bags I own are from JD

How is the Gernan going btw?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.