Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    Je suis malade. Ich bin krank und ich musste einen Teil einer Aufgabe machen. Ich habe noch fünfundsiebzig Wörter über biologische Landwirtschaft und fünfhundert *sodding* Worter über die ümweltfreundliche Auswirkungen von *Willow coppicing* zu schreiben.

Regarding l'oiseau and etroit: **** knows. See, I can use monosyllabic expletives of Anglo-Saxon derivation, too! I am truly multitalented.

P.S.: elucidate is great for crosswords. For some reason, compilers used to seem quite fond of it. If you're trying to work out whether you can use it in a particular sentence, see if "shed light on it" will work in the same place. If yes, then you can generally use elucidate.

Il faut que je dors maintenant!
    Naww !! That sucks, ich hoffe, dass du schnell besser wirst!
    Doesn't the university course give you days off in the summer?

:lol: I'm impressed...it's like catching your (female) head of year using profanity! it's special

Hmmm so it's more like "clarify" than "elaborate" ^^

No idea what the last sentence said (I understood the first though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    Oiseau - 'wah-zoh'
    Étroit - 'eh-tRwah' (R = guzzly French R sound)
    The little lady inside my iPod said "loo-wa-zoo"

& "en haut" = "ow" :confused:

tussen haakjes, "maintenant" = "meteen" in het Nederlands, ja?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    The little lady inside my iPod said "loo-wa-zoo"

& "en haut" = "ow" :confused:

tussen haakjes, "maintenant" = "meteen" in het Nederlands, ja?
    It would say that if it were the bird - l'oiseau (loo-wah-zoh)

En haut? Means upstairs or 'at the top'...

And ik heb gedacht dat meteen meer 'immédiatement' in Frans was...

Maintenant = nu
    Immédiatement = meteen, onmiddellijk

ReputationRep:
    Naww !! That sucks, ich hoffe, dass du schnell besser wirst!
    Doesn't the university course give you days off in the summer?

:lol: I'm impressed...it's like catching your (female) head of year using profanity! it's special

Hmmm so it's more like "clarify" than "elaborate" ^^

No idea what the last sentence said (I understood the first though)
    I swear all the ******* time!

There's summer breaks, but they're in different places to schools. This course runs from 1st March to 18th July. Next course after that, assuming I sort my student finance out (big assumption), begins in October.

ReputationRep:
    It would say that if it were the bird - l'oiseau (loo-wah-zoh)

En haut? Means upstairs or 'at the top'...

And ik heb gedacht dat meteen meer 'immediatement' in Frans was...

Maintenant = nu
    Immediatement = meteen, onmiddellijk
    wow...you're giving me explanations of a foreign language in another foreign language...and you made perfect sense!? :zomg:

Oh but just say "Ik dacht dat" You're current use of language is too complex for functional use...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I swear all the ******* time!

There's summer breaks, but they're in different places to schools. This course runs from 1st March to 18th July. Next course after that, assuming I sort my student finance out (big assumption), begins in October.
    :zomg: All of this work is slowly turning our sweet octopus into a angry gyal
    Oh well...it will be sweet when you don't have to pay £1000s to take these modules...;D

ReputationRep:
    wow...you're giving me explanations of a foreign language in another foreign language...and you made perfect sense!? :zomg:

Oh but just say "Ik dacht dat" You're current use of language is too complex for functional use...:rolleyes:
    Well...you asked for '"meteen", I gave you meteen and onmiddelijk :L

ReputationRep:
    Well...I have more beef with Rosetta Stone bar the price, but anything is useful, as long as you use it in conjunction with a lot of other materials!

I'm afraid I don't, but it sounds like you're going the good way about it already. Just inquire around and see if you can get something that suits your major. And a YA is a great opportunity, even if you're not majoring in a language, so that's a great idea.

Wow, that sounds pretty good. Do you know what you need to get into those sorts of programmes? And Arabic is a wonderfully interesting language, I'd love to delve into it further if I had the chance, but I have about 1024872919 other languages on my mind... But the geopolitics in Arabia is certainly a good reason to learn some of at least formal Arabic if you really want to delve past the Western Media (although this might take a while, it is a pretty heavy language ).

Not a problem, if you're interested, stick around if you do decide to take up the GCSE. This thread is a great thread for just general grammar/usage/silly stuff advice. Good luck! ^^
    There are a few routes into the language courses. The most prominent being the Intelligence Corps. I'll PM you some more info soon so you can have a look at what you would need to do/expect. Basically you have to sit a language aptitude test which has a made up Indo-European language that you have to try and follow. Obviously learning something like Esperanto would be great preparation for this test!

(Original post by Ronove)
    Most Japanese and Arabic courses are ab initio and do not therefore require the language even at GCSE. In fact a few of them would rather you didn't have GCSE or A-level, because they would rather you didn't pick up bad habits/bad grammar before you learn the language at uni. Many will require a language at GCSE, a couple may require a language at AS or A2 to prove your ability, but it certainly shouldn't be the case for all of them. If you want to do a whole degree in a language like Japanese or Arabic (or maybe both?), you should absolutely be able to without doing a foundation year or anything.

Edit: Speaking as someone who first applied for 'Japanese', 'Japanese and Spanish' and 'Japanese with Spanish', and then to German and Spanish courses the following year after a change of heart.

Edit 2: I've had a little look for you on UCAS. Arabic & Japanese would require you to have proven your ability beyond GCSE (which is fair enough, it's a tough combo). However, I had a look for just Japanese (as an example), and Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield and SOAS will take you with just a B in a foreign language GCSE (at least some say a B, others don't stipulate). You can't generally take two languages ab initio, just so you know, and French is not generally offered as an ab initio option, and requires you to have a good grade at A-level in it (though there are a select few places that offer it ab initio).
    Thanks a lot I think what I am going to do to open the door is just do the GCSE Spanish at college initially and apply to courses in Physics which also offer a year abroad as part of the programme. That way I can get some modules of a language (probably Japanese) and go to Tokyo or something in the 3rd year. Hopefully after a couple years of studying it in a classroom and a year emerged in it I can become somewhat proficient. Obviously 2 years is nowhere near enough time to learn enough kanji to get by but I'm sure I can/will pick it up!
    Arabic can wait until after my degree where I will probably go for the armed forces Army Intelligence Corps and serve as a linguist.It seems like a great opportunity to learn and utilise languages and be at the forefront of what's happening atm. Maybe one day I could apply to work in the government or the UN or something and really be in a position where I might be able to help!

ReputationRep:
    Well...you asked for '"meteen", I gave you meteen and onmiddelijk :L
    mooi zo Wie sagt man diese Wörter auf Deutsch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    There are a few routes into the language courses. The most prominent being the Intelligence Corps. I'll PM you some more info soon so you can have a look at what you would need to do/expect. Basically you have to sit a language aptitude test which has a made up Indo-European language that you have to try and follow. Obviously learning something like Esperanto would be great preparation for this test!
    Thanks a lot that would be really interesting to read, thank you (although I'm more interested in going in the diplomatic way )

mooi zo Wie sagt man diese Wörter auf Deutsch?
    Meteen - sofort
    Nu - jetzt, nun (although nun is explained better here - http://askaboutgerman.wordpress.com/...zt-nun-german/)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot that would be really interesting to read, thank you (although I'm more interested in going in the diplomatic way )

Meteen - sofort
    Nu - jetzt, nun (although nun is explained better here - http://askaboutgerman.wordpress.com/...zt-nun-german/)
    Wacht even! I already knew two of those words (jetzt, sofort)! :facepalm:

"Ich werde es jetzt tun" "Ich gehe sofort runter"
    "Ik zal het nu doen". "Ik ga onmiddelijk eronder/naar beneden"

ReputationRep:
    Sono tornata in Francia ieri ... ho il cuore a pezzi sono contenta di stare con la mia famiglia e i miei amici dopo tanto tempo, ma la Cina e i miei amici di Pechino mi mancano già così tanto ..
    Quest'esperienza mi ha cambiato la vita. E' strano essere qua.
    Ma non vedo l'ora di andare a Manchester

ReputationRep:
    C'est mon anniversaire aujourd'hui!
    Tengo dieci-siete años.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Tengo dieci-siete años.
    Tillykke!

ReputationRep:
    Tengo dieci-siete años.
    Llongyfarchiadau! Happy birthday!

ReputationRep:
    Tengo dieci-siete años.
    Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!

ReputationRep:
    :zomg: All of this work is slowly turning our sweet octopus into a angry gyal
    Oh well...it will be sweet when you don't have to pay £1000s to take these modules...;D
    I prefer Grumpy Middle-Aged Woman.

ReputationRep:
    Tengo dieci-siete años.
    Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Kiekieboe!
    Kleine stukje kauwgom, waar verstop jij je nou tegenwoordig??

ReputationRep:
    Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag!
    :lol: barely quarter-life though...^^

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.