Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    I must admit I find it helpful, but my Irish teacher has always apprehended us for using it!
    Haha nope sorry! I met a few ob holidays last year! And I have a couple of Dutch-speaking English friends!
    Dutch speaking English people in Ireland! :zomg:
    In my 5 years in England, I've only met 4 Dutch speakers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Upsetting

You speak better welsh than me :ahee: and I'm WELSH!
    Who says that it's actually correct grammar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    Dutch speaking English people in Ireland! :zomg:
    In my 5 years in England, I've only met 4 Dutch speakers!
    They live in England haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :eek:

Je viens d'avoir "prom" c'était mal! Les nourritures était disgusting... Bien que j'aie aimé une chante (song?) :mmm:

Sliiide to the left, sliiide to the right
    They're still trotting out that song?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    They live in England haha!
    Ahh, these must be the type of peeps who take GCSE Dutch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    Who says that it's actually correct grammar?
    :dontknow: mais je ne saurais jamais

(Original post by Ronove)
    They're still trotting out that song?! :eek:
    Oui!:lol: c'était amusant... Les gens ne pouvaient pas danser :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    We get to go to Florence for a week though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :eek: That'd be amazing! I doubt there are many history trips to Russia. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    :eek: That'd be amazing! I doubt there are many history trips to Russia. :emo:
    Probably not! But Florence is going to be amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    Thanks a lot I think what I am going to do to open the door is just do the GCSE Spanish at college initially and apply to courses in Physics which also offer a year abroad as part of the programme. That way I can get some modules of a language (probably Japanese) and go to Tokyo or something in the 3rd year. Hopefully after a couple years of studying it in a classroom and a year emerged in it I can become somewhat proficient. Obviously 2 years is nowhere near enough time to learn enough kanji to get by but I'm sure I can/will pick it up!
    If you learn 5 a day, every day, for two years then you'll know 3650 by the end.

At least from a Chinese perspective, the learning's not the hard part. What's not so easy is having the discipline to revise old characters, and learn the new ones, every day. That's hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    If you learn 5 a day, every day, for two years then you'll know 3650 by the end.

At least from a Chinese perspective, the learning's not the hard part. What's not so easy is having the discipline to revise old characters, and learn the new ones, every day. That's hard.
    I understand that. I have already started to plan doing 20 mins of learning new ones a day then 1 hour of going over the ones I learned that week on a Saturday or something and then just keep trying to keep on top of it that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)

Is it Chinese that you're learning? How long have you been doing it? And what stage would you say that you're at with regards to reading, speaking and understanding the language?

I started learning Japanese not too long ago. I've focused solely on Hiragana and Katakana up until now and have made good progress with them, but i've just recently started looking into Kanji also, which obviously to a beginner like myself seems incredibly daunting Are there any particular methods that helped you to memorize them? Especially the multiple meanings of each one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    Probably not! But Florence is going to be amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have fun there!

(Original post by Cll_ws)
    Is it Chinese that you're learning? How long have you been doing it? And what stage would you say that you're at with regards to reading, speaking and understanding the language?
    I've studied for a couple of years or so, with a focus on reading. I'm at the stage where I can read newspapers, essays, and novels, with the occasional help from a dictionary. These days I'm starting to practice listening more, but I have the feeling I'm still a few months away from being able to follow TVs/movies.

I started learning Japanese not too long ago. I've focused solely on Hiragana and Katakana up until now and have made good progress with them, but i've just recently started looking into Kanji also, which obviously to a beginner like myself seems incredibly daunting Are there any particular methods that helped you to memorize them? Especially the multiple meanings of each one.
    Just use flashcards, and work hard. I wouldn't worry too much about all the arguments about the 'best' method - every hour spent reading those arguments is an hour less spent studying.

To give you an idea, it took me about 300 hours to memorize the reading/pronunciation of 3500 characters and 10000 words. And it's my understanding that Japanese reading is harder than Chinese due to a far larger number of characters with multiple readings, so you'll need to work a little longer for similar progress.

And if you want to write, you're going to have to at least double that time.

If you study vocab for an hour a day, every day for the next year, I imagine you'll get somewhere satisfactory. That's a fair bit of work, but I guess you knew Japanese wasn't easy when you started learning it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun there!
    Have you attempted to do the first task miss Octopus set us yet, VIÖNARR.
    I have not been on my laptop yet..

ReputationRep:
    What's this about new threads and the such like?

ReputationRep:
    What's this about new threads and the such like?
    Niet voor jou kattekop, jij kan al goed Duits...

ReputationRep:
    Niet voor jou kattekop, jij kan al goed Duits...
    waar is het thread dan voor mij?

ReputationRep:
    waar is het thread dan voor mij?
    :eviltongue:

Volgens mij is er een thread (genaamd?) "Dutch" hier beneden!
    Maar helaas is het niet zo druk
    (Aber leider ist es nicht so (beschäftigt?)

ReputationRep:
    Have you attempted to do the first task miss Octopus set us yet, VIÖNARR.
    I have not been on my laptop yet..
    I tried...and failed! I really need to learn all the conjugations...quickly!

ReputationRep:
    I tried...and failed! I really need to learn all the conjugations...quickly!
    Irregular verbs are an even bigger beast!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.