Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    Shortening 'de'/dis-article-ing 'de' happens when there's a quantity next to it - '500 grammes DE pommes' MAIS 'J'ai besoin des pommes'. :/ But I've seen 'd'autres' in other places as well which confuses me greatly
    It would actually be "J'ai besoin de pommes" since the indefinite article is cancelled out by the fact that "avoir besoin" takes the preposition "de". The exception would be if you gave more information which delimited these apples to make them definite: "J'ai besoin des pommes que je vous ai données"

So with "d'autres" vs "des autres","d'autres" is an indefinite expression which is not accompanied by the indefinite article "des" e.g. "J'en ai vu d'autres", and "D'autres auraient réagi différemment". "Des autres" is only used when you combine the presposition "de" and the definite article "les" (de+ les autres = des autres) e.g. "Elle parlait des autres projets qu'elle dirige."

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    I'm a French GCSE student and I'm learning Japanese. Do I count?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Doing Spanish GCSE then?
    No :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    No :lol:
    Why then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ho Chi Minh)
    It would actually be "J'ai besoin de pommes" since the indefinite article is cancelled out by the fact that "avoir besoin" takes the preposition "de". The exception would be if you gave more information which delimited these apples to make them definite: "J'ai besoin des pommes que je vous ai données"

So with "d'autres" vs "des autres","d'autres" is an indefinite expression which is not accompanied by the indefinite article "des" e.g. "J'en ai vu d'autres", and "D'autres auraient réagi différemment". "Des autres" is only used when you combine the presposition "de" and the definite article "les" (de+ les autres = des autres) e.g. "Elle parlait des autres projets qu'elle dirige."

Hope that helped
    >.< Oh for goodness sake. >.< I knew that besoin de thing as well. I'm actually melting. Thanks for sorting me out, Ho Chi Minh. Now I definitely feel uneasy about my exam coming up... Thanks for clearing up d/des autres, I've never understood that until now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Hallo! Ich kann auch Deutsch, aber nicht * to B2, * B1 vielleicht. Die Andere wird hier mit dir Französisch sprechen. Ich finde romanischen Sprachen schwer
    Also ich moechte auch eines Tages Russisch sprechen koennen, da es mir sehr herausfordernd scheint :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Why then?
    Might go to Spain in between exams

ReputationRep:
    Might go to Spain in between exams
    Ah, I'm quite used to people not speaking a word of their holiday destination's language, so it was a bit of a surprise!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm quite used to people not speaking a word of their holiday destination's language, so it was a bit of a surprise!
    May as well try even if I'm not going it's some motivation :0

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, why, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what made you chose Danish, again, if you don't mind me asking?
    I started dabbling in Danish when I was on my year abroad in Germany in Schleswig-Holstein (pretty close to Denmark and it has some significant history relating to Denmark). I studied German and Spanish at uni and had French at A-level as well. I knew a few Danes because I had played World of Warcraft and the English-speaking servers are full of them. Since then I decided to meet up with one particular person I knew, who is now my fiancé and who I emigrated to Denmark to live with.

I want to study Medicine here so I have to pass an exam called Studieprøven, which is level C1. You need to pass to study anything in Danish but you need to get 7 or higher (the scale goes 0, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12 with 0 being a fail) in each of listening, reading, speaking, writing to study Medicine. I don't expect to get anywhere near 7 in speaking or writing this time round (if I even pass) but as long as I pass I can get on with doing the Danish equivalent of AS Chemistry and AS Physics, which I need to pass to tick the final boxes on my application.

If you have more questions I'm happy to answer.

ReputationRep:
    May as well try even if I'm not going it's some motivation :0
    It can't do any harm!

(Original post by Ronove)
    I started dabbling in Danish when I was on my year abroad in Germany in Schleswig-Holstein (pretty close to Denmark and it has some significant history relating to Denmark). I studied German and Spanish at uni and had French at A-level as well. I knew a few Danes because I had played World of Warcraft and the English-speaking servers are full of them. Since then I decided to meet up with one particular person I knew, who is now my fiancé and who I emigrated to Denmark to live with.

I want to study Medicine here so I have to pass an exam called Studieprøven, which is level C1. You need to pass to study anything in Danish but you need to get 7 or higher (the scale goes 0, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12 with 0 being a fail) in each of listening, reading, speaking, writing to study Medicine. I don't expect to get anywhere ,near 7 in speaking or writing this time round (if I even pass) but as long as I pass I can get on with doing the Danish equivalent of AS Chemistry and AS Physics, which I need to pass to tick the final boxes on my application.

If you have more questions I'm happy to answer.
    Ah, that's really cool, and it's quite a nice story!

Well good luck with it!

I feel bad, you writing out these long explanations, and there's just me with one line responses, sorry! Be warned, I probably will have to track you down and ask more questions sometime, I've been in awe at Scandinavia in general, and I would like to go there some day (though I have been to Stockholm once).

ReputationRep:
    Puedo conjugo * many tenses in * l'espagnol!

Cependant, je n'ai pas un beaucoup de vocabulaire utiliser

ReputationRep:

Did you just say "espagnol"? :mmm:

That sounds like a pasta dish

French :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Did you just say "espagnol"? :mmm:

That sounds like a pasta dish

French :moon:
    :yep:

:lol: it probably is...

ReputationRep:

I'm not seeing an 'ñ' in there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to learn Urdu but I've been only been at it 2 weeks and can't write anything in it yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not seeing an 'ñ' in there!
    That's because none was required :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    That's because none was required :holmes:
    In Spanish isn't it spelt 'español'? If not, oops!

ReputationRep:
    In Spanish isn't it spelt 'español'? If not, oops!
    He was speaking French.

ReputationRep:
    J'ai mangé trop de chocolat. Maintenent j'ai soif! Et j'ai aussi trop de devoirs à faire!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.