Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    La noche pasada, no podría dormir lo fue horrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Russer is more correct as you say. I don't think anyone would find it weird if you said russisk though.

I'm from a town in the North West of England.

Men jeg bor i en lille by i Køge Bugt, i Region Hovedstaden.
    So you're not actually Danish?! :shock:Your Danish is amazing if you aren't! Jeg elsker Hovedstaden. Or maybe I should really say Jeg elsker København :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Ach nein! (And to say 'last night', you would say 'anoche' rather than 'la noche pasada')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    Ach nein! (And to say 'last night', you would say 'anoche' rather than 'la niche pasada')

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I don't know the little words yet

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I don't know the little words yet
    That's ok You'll pick it up in no time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's ok You'll pick it up in no time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    J'espère que quoi tu aies dit est vrai

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I don't think I've done that tense yet! Is it the illusive subjunctive that I keep hearing about from everyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I don't think I've done that tense yet! Is it the illusive subjunctive that I keep hearing about from everyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, yes it is :P it means I hope that what you've said is true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidia11)
    So you're not actually Danish?! :shock:Your Danish is amazing if you aren't! Jeg elsker Hovedstaden. Or maybe I should really say Jeg elsker København :love:
    Tak skal du have. Jeg har været her siden september, men jeg kom herover rigtig mange gange i året inden (for at besøge min kæreste, selvfølgelig ).

Podría is conditional. You want no pude or no podía. I think I'd go for pude.

ReputationRep:
    Tak skal du have. Jeg har været her siden september, men jeg kom herover rigtig mange gange i året inden (for at besøge min kæreste, selvfølgelig ).
    So shocked you've only been living there since September, your Danish is PERFECTION!! I'm so jel Do you study in Denmark? And do you have any ideas on how I can improve mine? I understand so much but my grammar is horrific

ReputationRep:

Podría is conditional. You want no pude or no podía. I think I'd go for pude.
    In French pouvoir in the conditional means could... So I thought I'd use that... But then I realise it's past as well so was gonna write "no había podido (de) dormir..." pero no lo utilicé...

ReputationRep:
    I think you mean " j'espère que ce que tu as dit est vrai " or " j'espère que ce que tu dis est vrai ". You can also use a simpler form, which is the one French people usually go for : " j'espère que tu as raison ".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    I think you mean " j'espère que ce que tu as dit est vrai " or " j'espère que ce que tu dis est vrai ". You can also use a simpler form, which is the one French people usually go for : " j'espère que tu as raison ".
    Aah, okay! The last one is simplest

ReputationRep:
    Lo lamento. Espero que estés mejor ahora. Sólo quisiera corregirte una cosita: aquí lo es innecesario. Supongo que has traducido it was horrible literalmente, pero recuerda que lo solamente se usa como objeto, nunca se usa como subjeto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidia11)
    So shocked you've only been living there since September, your Danish is PERFECTION!! I'm so jel Do you study in Denmark? And do you have any ideas on how I can improve mine? I understand so much but my grammar is horrific
    Thanks! I don't study yet, I'm working in a fast food place (I would say which but I've said it too much on here already and there's only one outlet in central Copenhagen so it's making me a bit too stalkable. I want to start studying Medicine next year (ie 2014).

I initially bought this guy's course (he can send you a CD-Rom with it on but it might also be possible to download, I can't remember as I only had mobile internet when I bought it): http://www.speakdanish.dk/ The first few bits are free to access so you can have a look. I don't know whether it would be too basic for you, though. I can't really remember how I got the grammar down specifically. I have this rather heavy book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Danish-Compr...danish+grammar which is good but it doesn't get used all that often. Otherwise I just listen to P1 a lot and watch TV/films and read Politiken online (or did in the lead-up to my Danish exams at least).

There should also be some links to some websites about Danish grammar and basic vocab and stuff somewhere, maybe via Statsforvaltningen. I thought it was somewhere on the nyidanmark site but I just looked and can't find them.

In French pouvoir in the conditional means could... So I thought I'd use that... But then I realise it's past as well so was gonna write "no había podido (de) dormir..." pero no lo utilicé...
    That would have been very wrong - it would have meant 'I hadn't been able to sleep'. When hadn't you been able to sleep? 'I hadn't been able to sleep last night' makes no sense.

Edit: PS WHAT IS THAT 'DE' DOING THERE? BAD FISH!

Edit 2: Just refreshed my memory of pouvoir. You used the equivalent of pourrais, when you're talking about pouvais.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    :lol: Danish makes me happy
    It makes me sad. Every time I see written Danish, I remember the Danish members on my favourite server on a particular MMORPG. And then I remember how the game got shut down by the ultimate owners.

And then I think about all my characters that got deleted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    It makes me sad. Every time I see written Danish, I remember the Danish members on my favourite server on a particular MMORPG. And then I remember how the game got shut down by the ultimate owners.

And then I think about all my characters that got deleted.
    Wait... have you mentioned this MMORPG before? There certainly are a hell of a lot of Danes to be found in MMORPGs generally...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AquisM)
    Lo lamento. Espero que estés mejor ahora. Sólo quisiera corregirte una cosita: aquí lo es innecesario. Supongo que has traducido it was horrible literalmente, pero recuerda que lo solamente se usa como objeto, nunca se usa como subjeto.
    Hmmm... Okay! I think I get you
    That would have been very wrong - it would have meant 'I hadn't been able to sleep'. When hadn't you been able to sleep? 'I hadn't been able to sleep last night' makes no sense.

Edit: PS WHAT IS THAT 'DE' DOING THERE? BAD FISH!
    It makes sense, just doesn't sound right

:dontknow: there's always a random de or a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    I believe that ones been rectified besides, it was still on beta when it first opened to the public
    Spreek Nederlands met mij
    Ik voel me hier zo eenzaam en alleen :[[[

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... Okay! I think I get you
    Okay, just in case you don't, I'll write a short summary in English (not that I'm doubting your language skills :P). Basically, lo is only used as an object. If I were to say I took your ring, your ring is the object and I can replace it with lo, just as I could say I took it in English. What is different about the two languages is that English doesn't differentiate between subjective and objective it in writing but Spanish does (Lo maté - I killed it, but It was a nightmare - Fue una pesadilla), but since the it is already implied in the conjugation of the verb, it is normally dropped.

:dontknow: there's always a random de or a
    LOL I can't rep you because I'm maxed out but nice one! I totally agree!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.