Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    :yep: Well it's official now! My mind is made up, Meine ex-Schwester Octopus Garden has disowned me etc...
    Enrollment is still 3.5 weeks away doeeee :-9
    Don't do stats GCSE... Seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I don't read all the posts I miss properly at the best of times, and I did a night shift Fri-Sat so I had missed quite a bit by the time I woke up today...
    Ohhhh. I expected you to surprise me with a brand new German spelling reform which states that "time nouns" should no longer be capitalized, and I might have just taken your word on this matter...all the way to my German A2 exam!
    But blond genug, that's not the case...:-P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    But "He takes his son at home" would make perfect sense if "his son" is a source of medicine and "he" takes him for medicinal purposes.

Now there you go Kallisto, I just exposed you to yet another usage of "take" (To consume medicine)
    No, I didn't mean a medical purpose, I meant a familial one. The father takes his son home to his mother, as the parents were divorced .

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh. I expected you to surprise me with a brand new German spelling reform which states that "time nouns" should no longer be capitalized, and I might have just taken your word on this matter...all the way to my German A2 exam!
    But blond genug, that's not the case...:-P
    Geodeavond, then :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    Geodeavond, then :L
    En ook een hele goede morgen
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Learned some new Russian words on my trip to Russia - бублик (pronounced boob-lick, it's a bagel :mmm: ), пендульки (what my mother called my old bikini) and блаха муха (means f***ing ***** or in my case f***ing fly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    Learned some new Russian words on my trip to Russia - бублик (pronounced boob-lick, it's a bagel :mmm: ), пендульки (what my mother called my old bikini) and блаха муха (means f***ing ***** or in my case f***ing fly).
    My new word is:

Гоблин :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Yeah. I read somewhere that Duolingo is switching from producing the courses themselves to letting users generate the courses. Either way, I think they'll have to make the decision to stick to pinyin or romaji. And teach just the spoken language.
    That would suck ! Characters are so important. It's so much easier to remember the meaning when you see the actual character ... and there are so many homonyms, how are they even gonna manage ?
    Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers aren't infallible... though that's pretty bad.
    (Original post by duolingo)
    Der Zug geht nach Österreich.
    Should I feel more or less ashamed that I have committed the same mistake as Duolingo?

Or is it different here, and this one is correct, whereas mine wasn't?

Edit: now it's given me this to translate
    Ich gehe mit dem Auto nach Afrika
    Is the French more reliable? I was considering doing French via Duolingo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    Should I feel more or less ashamed that I have committed the same mistake as Duolingo?

Or is it different here, and this one is correct, whereas mine wasn't?

Edit: now it's given me this to translate

Is the French more reliable? I was considering doing French via Duolingo.
    That's really bizarre. I thought all the mistakes in the German exercises were because it was done by German speakers (it was the English answers that weren't good).

All you need to do is google 'ich gehe mit dem auto' or whatever, without quotation marks or anything, and you'll see that it's not right.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm home again (but only for 24 hours)! Time to go back on Duolingo/Memrise

ReputationRep:
    That's really bizarre. I thought all the mistakes in the German exercises were because it was done by German speakers (it was the English answers that weren't good).

All you need to do is google 'ich gehe mit dem auto' or whatever, without quotation marks or anything, and you'll see that it's not right.
    I googled it the other night, and found dozens of explanations on the subject that made me blush with humiliation.

I don't think Duolingo has necessarily been done by native speakers at all. The beta had "nicht ein" and mistakes in dative use.

I've been going through the German gradually over the last week, because I'm trying to work out whether I dare use it to improve my abysmal French, and I'm still not sure. There's been lots of "ich gehe" with vehicles in the travel section, for example. There's various other little niggles that could be my poor German, or someone's mistake in German or English.

A mod was insisting in a comment thread that manche should only be translated as some, even though the hovertip explicitly said "many a" too. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the DELE Spanish exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    I googled it the other night, and found dozens of explanations on the subject that made me blush with humiliation.

I don't think Duolingo has necessarily been done by native speakers at all. The beta had "nicht ein" and mistakes in dative use.

I've been going through the German gradually over the last week, because I'm trying to work out whether I dare use it to improve my abysmal French, and I'm still not sure. There's been lots of "ich gehe" with vehicles in the travel section, for example. There's various other little niggles that could be my poor German, or someone's mistake in German or English.

A mod was insisting in a comment thread that manche should only be translated as some, even though the hovertip explicitly said "many a" too. :confused:
    If German is anything like Dutch, nqtive speakers will often say "Das/Es iss NICHT ein/e/en..."

But you're leading me to believe that "kein/e/en" is the only way to go...but you learned frm strict grmmar book rules...lol

ReputationRep:
    I speak Polish fluently, just to put it out there xD
    I want to learn Russian, Spanish, French, German and Japanese! Wooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_dragon)
    I speak Polish fluently, just to put it out there xD
    I want to learn Russian, Spanish, French, German and Japanese! Wooo!
    Ooh, hi there

Which do you want to learn first?:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Ooh, hi there

French! I've been really eager to learn it since I was about 10, but never got round to it
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, hi there

*whispers* Join us.... French.... Join us....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_dragon)
    French! I've been really eager to learn it since I was about 10, but never got round to it
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    *whispers* Join us.... French.... Join us....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :awesome:

Okay, French was my first foreign language (welsh isn't foreign and bengali is mother tongue so...)

Duolingo! Are you a grammar learner?

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

Okay, French was my first foreign language (welsh isn't foreign and bengali is mother tongue so...)

Duolingo! Are you a grammar learner?
    Actually, I haven't even started :teehee:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.