The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BuddingAchiever
this does sound like an idiotic question... but if there are language courses offered at uni e.g evening lessons, certificate in diploma, self-teaching, etc what would the difference be between a language degree and the extra-curricular courses offered?

A language degree is way more well rounded of course, but by and large there's no difference, and having done it myself I wouldn't advise anyone to take a language degree if they could otherwise take a science/vocational degree. You can even go on Erasmus with a non-language degree.

A language degree is however fairly well regarded as humanities go, a strange number of people are impressed if you can speak one.
Original post by constantmeowage
Just leave him to wallow in the sadness that he feels he has to project some hate onto people who have a passion just because he evidently would rather spend time spreading hate than acceptance. :wink:
Yep. Sadly, there's plenty of unhappy people who choose to decry the value of subjects they don't like or can't do, as a coping mechanism, instead of enjoying their own intellectual pursuits.

I've never really understood it, because if one thinks particular subjects are objectively better, and one is actively pursuing them, isn't reduced competition in one's eventual field better?

My mother always used to claim that maths, biology and the sciences were utterly useless and I should do English Language and/or Literature. Now she claims I should learn Gujarati or Mandarin instead of French or Welsh.:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Everyone should download kik, and we can all add each other so I CAN IM people who speak the lnguage well
Reply 4983
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Everyone should download kik, and we can all add each other so I CAN IM people who speak the lnguage well

That sounds interesting, I might try it! Although I need to delete some other apps first- I'm running out of space! :tongue:
Original post by EmilyJayne14
That sounds interesting, I might try it! Although I need to delete some other apps first- I'm running out of space! :tongue:

:teehee: tbf, it's an excuse to get Constantmeowage on kik so I can get his French ness and Spanish ness :mmm:

And I wanted Bambrina for Italian :moon:
Reply 4985
:teehee: tbf, it's an excuse to get Constantmeowage on kik so I can get his French ness and Spanish ness :mmm:

And I wanted Bambrina for Italian :moon:

Good point :tongue: I just want to speak to everyone and practise!!
Original post by EmilyJayne14
Good point :tongue: I just want to speak to everyone and practise!!

If you get it, PM me your username :tongue:
Look at this deal for German textbooks! The second one on the page. I think that might be really good.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/AllProducts&gq=hammer%20grammar

Bugger, I can't take advantage of it- I already have one of the pair!
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Look at this deal for German textbooks! The second one on the page. I think that might be really good.

Omg I could buy so much with that extra 70p I'm saving :redface:

I would like those actually, apparently they're recommended for undergrads :redface: especially the practicing one :redface: which one do you have, Frau Octo?

Don't forget about Ebay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg I could buy so much with that extra 70p I'm saving :redface:

I would like those actually, apparently they're recommended for undergrads :redface: especially the practicing one :redface: which one do you have, Frau Octo?
You're saving more than that.

Play.com: £37.41 http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/22771591/German-Grammar-Pack-Hammer-German-Grammar-and-Usage-Fifth-Edition-AND-Practising-German-Grammar-Third-Edition/Product.html?searchstring=practising+german+grammar&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Amazon: £37.98 - they don't seem to be doing a special deal at all.

I have Practising1 German Grammar, but it seems meant to accompany Hammer's Grammar.

1 I know it was almost certainly a typo, but I can't resist.
Practice/practise
Advice/advise
Licence/license

Noun form has a 'c' and verb form has an 's'.
(edited 10 years ago)
You're saving more than that.

Play.com: £37.41 http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/22771591/German-Grammar-Pack-Hammer-German-Grammar-and-Usage-Fifth-Edition-AND-Practising-German-Grammar-Third-Edition/Product.html?searchstring=practising+german+grammar&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Amazon: £37.98 - they don't seem to be doing a special deal at all.

I have Practising1 German Grammar, but it seems meant to accompany Hammer's Grammar.

1 I know it was almost certainly a typo, but I can't resist.
Practice/practise
Advice/advise
Licence/license

Noun form has a 'c' and verb form has an 's'.

Ah I was looking at the deal one would save when one just bought from Smiths. :L that's not bad actually, although how much is postage?

That's the one I would be more interested in actually! Is it any good? :smile:
Original post by sunfowers01
Don't forget about Ebay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never any good for current editions of textbooks in my experience. Especially when you add on postage. The small turnover and need to cover ebay fees upped the prices before, and it's worse since Royal Mail increased postage prices.
Ah I was looking at the deal one would save when one just bought from Smiths. :L that's not bad actually, although how much is postage?

That's the one I would be more interested in actually! Is it any good? :smile:
Postage fees are free for anything over £15 with WHsmith, or you can get it delivered to the store for free, whatever the price.

I have a quidco account, and I order from WHSmith via that.
x

Would YOU hypothetically be capable of self studying the entire Spanish and Geography A-levels in the space of 9 months? If would be your only acedemic commitment...(Just try to imagine that's the case: I know it's hard for you.)

I've moved on from Statistics and GCSEs now, you see...:wink:
"Why Don't You Speak English?" on channel 4 in aprox 8 minutes...
Will you be comparing your foreign language skills with that of their's? :wink: :tongue:
Original post by thatitootoo
Would YOU hypothetically be capable of self studying the entire Spanish and Geography A-levels in the space of 9 months? If would be your only acedemic commitment...(Just try to imagine that's the case: I know it's hard for you.)

I've moved on from Statistics and GCSEs now, you see...:wink:

If it's German for you... And my French/Spanish equivalent.

Then yes, definitely.

Others here may disagree but :tongue: I think I definitely could.

Would you receive any support?
Reply 4998
If you get it, PM me your username :tongue:

Okay :tongue:

Will you be comparing your foreign language skills with that of their's? :wink: :tongue:

Oh, I'll have to watch that on 4oD, that looked interesting!! Haha, thanks for unintentionally reminding me :wink:

I actually really enjoyed the first episode. Like Emily, I am going to have to watch it on demand though.

Do you like it?

Latest

Trending

Trending