Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly_xox)
    It would seem I'm the only person here without a clue about Dutch :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think I have a clue about Dutch, either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    I don't speak Dutch either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    I don't speak Dutch either

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, good! I'm not alone I'm happy with my French and Spanish :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Where would that be then? :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dad thinks the BBC in Belfast would be a good place, and as I've been thinking more these days of International Relations courses, je suis d'accord avec lui, mais j'ai besoin d'être rapide! (felt I should bring some French back )
    I don't have any Dutch either, just read it in a broken English accent and you might be able to work out a few things haha.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, good! I'm not alone I'm happy with my French and Spanish :lol:
    French and Spanish are good, but I'm learning German and Italian on the side too :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Come on. I had to find out. I knew I wasn't going to get it (unless I named almost every single language that I knew of from that approximate area), because I can never tell any of the languages from the Indian subcontinent apart!

And I didn't want to wait until someone else got it!
    I don't blame you tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Dad thinks the BBC in Belfast would be a good place, and as I've been thinking more these days of International Relations courses, je suis d'accord avec lui, mais j'ai besoin d'être rapide! (felt I should bring some French back )
    I don't have any Dutch either, just read it in a broken English accent and you might be able to work out a few things haha.
    Bonne idée! (I'll join you)

I'll give it a try next time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    French and Spanish are good, but I'm learning German and Italian on the side too :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know how to say 'do you speak English?', 'I love you' and a various string of adjectives/random nouns in German, but that's it :') how do you guys do it?

ReputationRep:
    I know how to say 'do you speak English?', 'I love you' and a various string of adjectives/random nouns in German, but that's it :') how do you guys do it?
    At the moment I am still a 'various string of adjectives/random nouns' but I'm starting to pick up the grammar and I'm having lessons with year nine after school from September :-) And to add to your 'random nouns' I give you "Lieblingsfußballmanschaft" and "Naturwissenschaftenklassenzimme r", which mean "favourite football team" and "science lab", respectively :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's like learning French but only half as difficult.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am still a 'various string of adjectives/random nouns' but I'm starting to pick up the grammar and I'm having lessons with year nine after school from September :-) And to add to your 'random nouns' I give you "Lieblingsfußballmanschaft" and "Naturwissenschaftenklassenzimme r", which mean "favourite football team" and "science lab", respectively :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just to be clear, that means 'science classroom' and wouldn't apply to an actual science lab!

ReputationRep:
    How is it only half as difficult as French? German grammar is appalling!! (Although Italian is worse)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Just to be clear, that means 'science classroom' and wouldn't apply to an actual science lab!
    I knew that, as ein Labor(?) is a lab, isn't it? But for ages it was the longest word I knew in German (and I think it still is!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am still a 'various string of adjectives/random nouns' but I'm starting to pick up the grammar and I'm having lessons with year nine after school from September :-) And to add to your 'random nouns' I give you "Lieblingsfußballmannschaft" and "Naturwissenschaftenklassenzimme r", which mean "favourite football team" and "science lab", respectively :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that's science classroom, surely?

A laboratory is das Labor. An actual (chemistry) laboratory could be das Chemielabor. According to dict.cc, a colloquial term for a school chemistry lab is der Chemiesaal.

ReputationRep:
    that's science classroom, surely?

A laboratory is das Labor. An actual (chemistry) laboratory could be das Chemielabor. According to dict.cc, a colloquial term for a school chemistry lab is der Chemiesaal.
    So I was right then!! (see above post) And das is neuter isn't it, so that makes it ein? Or einen? I know eine is feminine...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woo! Thank you I know tiny snippets of Arabic but I have no idea how I'd type them on here because I can only write Arabic numbers, I have no idea about the alphabet

ReputationRep:
    Why only half as difficult?

ReputationRep:
    How is it only half as difficult as French? German grammar is appalling!! (Although Italian is worse)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All the letters are pronounced, and it is easy to differentiate aurally between sentences.

Also, the grammar isn't appalling. Sie ist sehr logisch! And you don't have to make adjectives agree at the end of sentences.

I grant the way it seems to be taught in secondary schools (according to accounts on TSR) must make it incredibly confusing, though.

ReputationRep:
    So I was right then!! (see above post) And das is neuter isn't it, so that makes it ein? Or einen? I know eine is feminine...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ein

ReputationRep:
    Why only half as difficult?
    They eat the fish=sie essen den Fisch=elles /ils mangent le poisson
    she or he eats the fish= sie/er isst den Fisch=elle/il mange le poisson.

In French, you can't tell how many people are eating the fish out loud! You can in German!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.