ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    ein
    Dankeschön

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They eat the fish=sie essen den Fisch=elles /ils mangent le poisson
    she or he eats the fish= sie/er isst den Fisch=elle/il mange le poisson.

In French, you can't tell how many people are eating the fish out loud! You can in German!
    nope, I'm lost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    C1+, how come you're fluent in Danish?

Edit: Just noticed your location is Copenhagen. Weeeird.
    Lol I think its because I learned the language, unless an extraterrestrial being popped down and rewired my brain so that I would be fluent in danish. :rolleyes:
    whats your story

ReputationRep:
    (male) they eat the fish=ils mangent le poisson
    he eats the fish=il mange le poisson
    (Original post by Molly_xox)
    nope, I'm lost
    That's how French makes me feel, so that's a completely normal reaction!

The two French sentences mean something different but sound exactly the same, because -e and -ent endings aren't pronounced...

ReputationRep:
    he eats the fish=il mange le poissonThat's how French makes me feel, so that's a completely normal reaction!

The two French sentences mean something different but sound exactly the same, because -e and -ent endings aren't pronounced...
    OH, whereas the German endings don't sound the same, got it

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone interested in attending the polyglot conference in NYC and Montreal October 2014? I don't know the exact dates nor do I know whether I need permission to attend it... Can anyone enlighten me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly_xox)
    Haha, good! I'm not alone I'm happy with my French and Spanish :lol:
    It's not that popular on this thread u knw ^^
    There have been a few Dutch learners on this thread but they kind of come and go Vionar can write a birthday card
    Constantmeowage seems to know Dutch, Ronove knows Danish and German and is familiar with the historic sound shifts which occured in Germanic languages, so she can read it I think

Can you understand written Portuguese?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I have a clue about Dutch, either.
    Waarom kan jij geen Nederlands verstaan?
    Als jij Duits spreken kan, is de Nederlandse Taal ook niet zo zwaar! ^^

Translate into German (yourself)? I even capitalised a noun

ReputationRep:
    Tess sehr gut! Aber es ist "die Mannschaft"
    It appears to have the word "Mann" in it, if the noun had not been feminine one could call it cultural sexism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    Waarom kan jij geen Nederlands verstaan?
    Als jij Duits spreken kan, is de Nederlandse Taal ook niet zo zwaar! ^^

Translate into German (yourself)? I even capitalised a noun
    Warum kann du kein Niederlandisch verstehen?
    Wenn du Deutsch schon sprechen kann, ist die Niederlandische Sprache dann nicht so schwer.

:confused:

I did use a dictionary for three words. Some of the remaining ones I've just ignored, and hoped they're not important.

ReputationRep:
    Warum kann du kein Niederlandisch verstehen?
    Wenn du Deutsch sprechen kann, ist die Niederlandische Sprache dann nicht so schwer.

:confused:

I did use a dictionary for three words. Some of the remaining ones I've just ignored, and hoped they're not important.
    Zeer goed! Only 'ook' = 'auch' not 'dann' lol
    Dutch is taking over now? You put "kann" instead of "kannst" and you did not put an umlaut on Niederländisch?!? :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Zeer goed! Only 'ook' = 'auch' not 'dann' lol
    Dutch is taking over now? You put "kann" instead of "kannst" and you did not put an umlaut on Niederländisch?!? :zomg:
    je suis nulle en langues!

ReputationRep:
    You added an unnecessary 'schon' in your edit...^^ 'schon' = 'al' in Dutch and 'al' is the first two letters of already!
    I don't see why the schon is unnecessary. I used wenn not als, you know.

ReputationRep:
    je suis nulle en langues!
    Du bist keine Sprache? xP
    I'm also not sure if 'schon' should have gone before 'Deutsch' in your edit, instead.
    It seems to have a more natural flow for the Dutch-hearing ear ;D

ReputationRep:
    w8 Octopus_Garden du hast recht!!!
    (Just repeated the whole sentence in my head...schon IS in the right place!)

ReputationRep:
    wenn = als = if
    ob = of = if/whether
    English is the confusing one

Also "niederländische" & "deutsche" etc... does not need to be capitalized in German!

ReputationRep:
    wenn = als = if
    ob = of = if/whether
    English is the confusing one

Also "niederländische" & "deutsche" etc... does not need to be capitalized in German!
    Going off the context you used it in, I don't think the German and the Dutch als exactly match up, just so you know. I shouldn't have capitalised niederländische when I was using it as an adjective, but when they were nouns, I was correct to capitalise them!

ReputationRep:
    Going off the context you used it in, I don't think the German and the Dutch als exactly match up, just so you know. I shouldn't have capitalised niederländische when I was using it as an adjective, but when they were nouns, I was correct to capitalise them!
    Du sprichst gewiss die Wahrheit xp

ReputationRep:
    It's not that popular on this thread u knw ^^
    There have been a few Dutch learners on this thread but they kind of come and go Vionar can write a birthday card
    Constantmeowage seems to know Dutch, Ronove knows Danish and German and is familiar with the historic sound shifts which occured in Germanic languages, so she can read it I think

Can you understand written Portuguese?
    Nope, I'm generally alright with spoken Portuguese, in the same way I'm okay with (basic) spoken Arabic and Thai, but that won't help me on here I know phrases of Irish and Scottish Gaelic but again, not helpful. I'll try and pick it up as I go along, or just wait for the rare French/Spanish speakers :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does making users' names bold draw their attention via a notification?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.