The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
Amen!! German just needs to simplify like Dutch and English did, to accommodate us! :tongue: :wink:

:grin: Tootoo

It's my biggest annoyance when it comes to foreign languages...all the time spent learning genders and agreements and the effects they have..for no return whatsoever. A table is feminine..great! What can I do with that information? NOTHING. Does it change anything about the table if I leave out the gender? NO. Therefore it conveys no meaning. AT ALL.

/rant.

:lol:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
It's my biggest annoyance when it comes to foreign languages...all the time spent learning genders and agreements and the effects they have..for no return whatsoever. A table is feminine..great! What can I do with that information? NOTHING. Does it change anything about the table if I leave out the gender? NO. Therefore it conveys no meaning. AT ALL.

/rant.

:lol:

:lol: True words!! der Tisch btw :wink:

:lol: True words!! der Tisch btw :wink:

Pfftt...I was thinking of Spanish at the time. La mesa.

:tongue:
Pfftt...I was thinking of Spanish at the time. La mesa.

:tongue:

It's feminine in Spanish? :redface:
Does Turkish have this three gender business?? Assuming you even pursued learning Turkish last year? :rolleyes:

Does Turkish have this three gender business?? Assuming you even pursued learning Turkish last year? :rolleyes:

Yes. Spanish has only two genders, hurrah! I bought some books on Turkish but Spanish and German really caused me to struggle a little last year, so I never pursued it. I still have a desire to learn it though! There's too many languages I want to learn. I have to refrain from browsing Amazon lest I get tempted to order more books. :rolleyes:

Also feminine in French: la table
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Octopus_Garden
He's refusing to look at my thread, because he's scared of the dative case.

When I was working in MFL at school, top set year nine were doing the dative case (just saying!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. Spanish has only two genders, hurrah! I bought some books on Turkish but Spanish and German really caused me to struggle a little last year, so I never pursued it. I still have a desire to learn it though! There's too many languages I want to learn. I have to refrain from browsing Amazon lest I get tempted to order more books. :rolleyes:

Hahah I höre dir! The novelty of learning a new *exciting*!language...it's hard to resist...well initially...then once you're finally fully equipped to get going...it just makes its way to the back seat and you realise your priorities!

Das scheint mir eine gute Idee! Also, you must refrain from turning on Amazon's "one click" options...impulsive purchases are the worst :lol:

Also feminine in French: la table

I knew that!:wink:

Ich höre dich / Ich höre dir.

Hmmm Maybe I should be learning the dative soon...

So, people. If I were to pursue this (frankly, preposterous) idea of retaking some of the maths units in which I erm, p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶foundered and putting together the new results with previous module results in which I didn't totally founder....

Which ones do I need to get 90% in, so that I can have an A* like Fish plans to get?
Original post by tess_rach
When I was working in MFL at school, top set year nine were doing the dative case (just saying!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like an appropriate age.
#SomeSchoolsAreDoingItCorrectly

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek:

Never been taught German in a formal setting though, apart from a few grammar quirks here and there, I already seem to understand a lot without trying...:dontknow:

:eek:

Never been taught German in a formal setting though, apart from a few grammar quirks here and there, I already seem to understand a lot without trying...:dontknow:

That's just like me!! But I'm starting after school classes in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, people. If I were to pursue this (frankly, preposterous) idea of retaking some of the maths units in which I erm, p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶foundered and putting together the new results with previous module results in which I didn't totally founder....

Which ones do I need to get 90% in, so that I can have an A* like Fish plans to get?

C3 and C4
That's just like me!! But I'm starting after school classes in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Augezeichnet! Always believe in your inner German :wink:

You need an A overall and 90% average across C3 and C4
Original post by L'Evil Fish
C3 and C4
Original post by BaconEmperor
You need an A overall and 90% average across C3 and C4
Not even in one of M1, M2, S1, S2?

Das ist fantastisch!

Je vous verrai la semaine prochaine. I had better get started!
Not even in one of M1, M2, S1, S2?

Das ist fantastisch!

Je vous verrai la semaine prochaine. I had better get started!

Wait, those aren't A Level just maths modules:

C1, C2, C3, C4 and two of S1/2 M1/2 (both applied or S1 and M1 combo)

You need 180/200 from C3 and C4. And 480/600 overall.
Hahah I höre dir! The novelty of learning a new *exciting*!language...it's hard to resist...well initially...then once you're finally fully equipped to get going...it just makes its way to the back seat and you realise your priorities!

Das scheint mir eine gute Idee! Also, you must refrain from turning on Amazon's "one click" options...impulsive purchases are the worst :lol:

I wouldn't say it's because of the novelty...more the fact that I am just fascinated by languages. If I had the time I would love to learn at least a little of most of the languages of Europe. Polish, Greek, Italian and Norwegian are definitely on my list. I'd rather not study too many at once without first building a good language core otherwise it would just cause problems.

Latest

Trending

Trending