Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    just thought i'd let y'all know that from my recent dictionary hunt I discovered collin's 'top end' dictionary's are all half price on there website with an extra 20% thanks to a sneaky little code will be picking myself up a german and french one tomorrow

(Original post by Ronove)
    This advice was from a (now) Professor of German Linguistics, so I trust it quite a lot.
    Ah okay, hmmm does make me concerned now :lol: that said, I do like the fact that Norwegian gives you the best grounding for Danish and Swedish compared to the other two so I may as well continue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    Es gibt etwas Schlechtes *with pretentiousness? :eek:
    Yes. Især når man er flyttet til Danmark (se: Janteloven).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :teehee: I mean generally though, you do :mmm:

Dw, I do too
    Es kommt darauf an...

Je déteste * concrete generalisations with no recognition that people vary. But I believe it's fine for me to have strong opinions on things I like/don't like!

ReputationRep:
    Es kommt darauf an...

Je déteste * concrete generalisations with no recognition that people vary. But I believe it's fine for me to have strong opinions on things I like/don't like!
    Je ne dis pas que ce n'est pas juste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Ah okay, hmmm does make me concerned now :lol: that said, I do like the fact that Norwegian gives you the best grounding for Danish and Swedish compared to the other two so I may as well continue
    Ultimately you'll just have to dabble, linguistically and culturally, and find whichever suits you best for now. There's no point hitting a wall with one and therefore ending up not learning any of them if you'd still have retained a good level of interest in another at that point. It's difficult to choose, though, so there's nothing wrong with starting with one and switching in a few weeks if you change your mind once you have more to base your opinion on.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Især når man er flyttet til Danmark (se: Janteloven).
    Nun verstehe ich warum ich keine Freunde habe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    just thought i'd let y'all know that from my recent dictionary hunt I discovered collin's 'top end' dictionary's are all half price on there website with an extra 20% thanks to a sneaky little code will be picking myself up a german and french one tomorrow
    Oooh, where?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, where?
    collins website: http://www.collinseducation.com/Sear...0concise&sdt=1 and then the code WEBST001 at the check out.....mine took a few times to work though :/

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Brauche ich dies? http://www.collinseducation.com/titl...-9780007331550

Ich habe schon dieses Buch: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Robe...rds=0004335732

ReputationRep:
    I would....seems to good a deal to miss

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Gilo98)
    I would....seems to good a deal to miss
    Ignoring the fact that this is a later edition, back when I was starting A-Levels in 2004, these dictionaries were £35 as well. I bought one of each, and then soon after they were down to (about) £17.50 in WHSmith. Don't go in feet first if you don't particularly want to, it's not necessarily that great a deal. Plus free online dictionaries are quickly eradicating any need for those things. I don't have any of mine in Denmark and don't plan on bringing them over, either.

Ultimately you'll just have to dabble, linguistically and culturally, and find whichever suits you best for now. There's no point hitting a wall with one and therefore ending up not learning any of them if you'd still have retained a good level of interest in another at that point. It's difficult to choose, though, so there's nothing wrong with starting with one and switching in a few weeks if you change your mind once you have more to base your opinion on.
    That's true, I do think I'll stick with Norwegian, I know more Norwegians than I do Swedes so it'll be easier when asking for help and I can always change down the line like you say

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring the fact that this is a later edition, back when I was starting A-Levels in 2004, these dictionaries were £35 as well. I bought one of each, and then soon after they were down to (about) £17.50 in WHSmith. Don't go in feet first if you don't particularly want to, it's not necessarily that great a deal. Plus free online dictionaries are quickly eradicating any need for those things. I don't have any of mine in Denmark and don't plan on bringing them over, either.
    I see what you mean but I hate using the online ones..(or maybe I just dont know of any good ones :confused: ) yet find the dictionarys so much easier to use..

..where abouts in denmark do you live? My mum lived there for about 10 years or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    & My 2nd language then??

:grin: Tootoo
    Oh right, Dutch! :facepalm: Sorry...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Talking about Destable...

VAN HARTE GEFELICITEERD MET JE VERJAARDAG VIONARRRR

:grin: Tootoo
    :lol: My mum and my sister were asking who you were after seeing you say happy birthday to me in Dutch on facebook!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with German knowledges? What would an English speaker say, if he wants to express that something 'wäre gewesen'. Here are two examples:

Das wäre es gewesen!
    Wenn du nicht gewesen wärst,...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AquisM)
    Oh right, Dutch! :facepalm: Sorry...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :woo: A small-ish language just got some recognition by a Mandarin speaker!! *feels acknowledged*

(Original post by Vionar)
    :lol: My mum and my sister were asking who you were after seeing you say happy birthday to me in Dutch on facebook!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha 'cause I speak Dutch and I'm not in any way related to you??;D
    WHAT DID YOU SAY?? lolol

ReputationRep:
    Haha 'cause I speak Dutch and I'm not in any way related to you??;D
    WHAT DID YOU SAY?? lolol
    Yeah, basically!
    I just said that I didn't know who it was because I hadn't seen the post...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Yeah, basically!
    I just said that I didn't know who it was because I hadn't seen the post...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They don't know about the Tootoo?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.