The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
I need help in English again. What is the right word to initiate a subordinate clause (?) with the word 'indem' ? for all members who don't speak German, I'm talking about 'while', 'whilst' or 'by doing'. For all members who speak German here are some examples:

Er löschte das Feuer, indem er ein Glas Wasser über die Flammen schüttete.
Er konnte dem Fremden Mann helfen, indem er den Rettungswagen rief.
Der Bankräuber konnte gefasst werden, indem die Polizei rechtzeitig alarmiert wurde.

Hmmmm the things you worry about...:rolleyes:

Ich habe eigentlich keine Ahnung :redface:

Is "indem" like "denn" or "weil" ? It looks like "weil"...If that's the case then maybe the word "for" as in "because" ?

He learned Dutch faster than his peers, for/because he could already speak fluent German.
Tootoo was reluctant to respond to Kallisto, denn er spricht eigentlich kein Deutsch oder Englisch wie ein "native" :wink:

oi oi oi, oi oi oi oi, oi oi oi oi oi. Tootoo :grin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
****?
Mind numbing?

I'll go with the **** one :wink:

Reply 6822
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom

Yes you are absolutely right. I won't judge the level of my Spanish or German on my exam result, as I know I have been studying over the summer and my Spanish is much better now than it was three months ago. With that in mind, my results are still important as they form part of my academic record and I obviously want that to be a good representation of my academic ability, though I completely understand your point.

Of course your GCSEs are important and it is necessary to do well in them, but a) they're just a stepping stone to AS/A-Levels and b) you can always retake it if you're very dissatisfied with your results, so it's not the end of the world if you get a bad grade (not saying that you will :wink: ). Hell, half of my year retook Eng Lang because they failed (in the Asian sense :tongue:), so it's not that big a deal. Anyway, good luck! I'm sure you did better than you think! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
I'll go with the **** one :wink:

Tedious?:colone:
Nein, Fisch! Scheiße!
And Aquismo, this is the first time I've heard "You did better than you think" I did not know it could be used in the present tense in that context! :redface:

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
I need help in English again. What is the right word to initiate a subordinate clause (?) with the word 'indem' ? for all members who don't speak German, I'm talking about 'while', 'whilst' or 'by doing'. For all members who speak German here are some examples:

Er löschte das Feuer, indem er ein Glas Wasser über die Flammen schüttete.
Er konnte dem Fremden Mann helfen, indem er den Rettungswagen rief.
Der Bankräuber konnte gefasst werden, indem die Polizei rechtzeitig alarmiert wurde.

I dunno if anyone else got this before I saw it, but I'll try to answer anyway.

Indem means 'by/whilst', basically:

"He put out the fire by pouring a glass of water over the flames" - we don't need to repeat the subject like you do in German. :smile:
Reply 6826
Nein, Fisch! Scheiße!
And Aquismo, this is the first time I've heard "You did better than you think" I did not know it could be used in the present tense in that context! :redface:

I'm actually not too sure myself. :biggrin: I was hesitant when I pressed Submit Reply, because it sort of didn't sound right, but logically it seems correct because Phantom is still in the process of thinking about his grades. Perhaps my English is being corrupted by Spanish and Chinese grammar... :colondollar::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

It's a pretty common phrase....
Original post by tehFrance
If you're that worried, take the Goethe-Institut CEFR (or Spanish equivalent) test when you reach C1/2 (fluency) and it'll be better than a GCSE/A-Level (not better than a degree studying the language and culture though) and will most likely open more doors (than GCSE/A-Level at least) within Germany (or Spain/Latin America) it's self :smile:

No no, I'm not worried. I just want to go to the best university I can and I know that they look at your academic profile as it were; and I'm already a mature student so who knows what I will be up against! I know about the CEFR so I know the option is there to gain something more accredited. :smile:

Original post by AquisM
Of course your GCSEs are important and it is necessary to do well in them, but a) they're just a stepping stone to AS/A-Levels and b) you can always retake it if you're very dissatisfied with your results, so it's not the end of the world if you get a bad grade (not saying that you will :wink: ). Hell, half of my year retook Eng Lang because they failed (in the Asian sense :tongue:), so it's not that big a deal. Anyway, good luck! I'm sure you did better than you think! :biggrin:

Thank you Aqui. :h:

Original post by AquisM
Phantom is still in the process of thinking about her grades.

I'm male. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM
I'm actually not too sure myself. :biggrin: I was hesitant when I pressed Submit Reply, because it sort of didn't sound right, but logically it seems correct because Phantom is still in the process of thinking about her grades. Perhaps my English is being corrupted by Spanish and Chinese grammar... :colondollar::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes when you put it like that^^ It does seem very logical! I used to avoid it completely by saying "I'm sure you've done well" or if I was feeling cool enough "I'm sure you've exceeded your expectations" :wink: haha

It's a pretty common phrase....

You're pretty common.

Reply 6831

I'm male. :wink:

:colondollar::ninja::ninja: You saw nothing... (if only I could tag Fish with a hashtag or something)

Sorry about that, I have no idea why I seem to think everyone around here's female. First Constant, now you... I've changed it now, and I promise it won't happen again. :biggrin: They should put the gender symbols on the app as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6832
Yes when you put it like that^^ It does seem very logical! I used to avoid it completely by saying "I'm sure you've done well" or if I was feeling cool enough "I'm sure you've exceeded your expectations" :wink: haha

HAHA Thanks, I'll stick to those ones from now on. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AquisM
:colondollar::ninja::ninja: You saw nothing... (if only I could tag Fish with a hashtag or something)

Sorry about that, I have no idea why I seem to think everyone around here's female. First Constant, now you... I've changed it now, and I promise it won't happen again. :biggrin: They should put the gender symbols on the app as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha don't worry about it, I'm not bothered by it. :tongue: Yes I have the app too, but I much prefer using the desktop version. :smile:
Original post by AquisM
HAHA Thanks, I'll stick to those ones from now on. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure that by doing so, you would exceed your expectations :wink:

(OK now I'm just messing :tongue:)

(edited 10 years ago)
You're pretty common.

I'm sorry, what? :lolwut:
Reply 6836
Haha don't worry about it, I'm not bothered by it. :tongue: Yes I have the app too, but I much prefer using the desktop version. :smile:

Me too but I'm too lazy to move my butt, but now I have no choice because my phone's out of battery, so I'm back on my laptop.

I'm sure that by doing so, you would exceed your expectations :wink:

(OK now I'm just messing :tongue:)

HAHA Can't rep you but I would if I could. :gthumb:

Perhaps not "common"...BUT

It has come to my attention, that der TehFrance der TSR tends to just take some of our posts at face value and come to a rapid conclusion...on this thread at least...:unimpressed:

LOL. I wonder where this conversation is going to lead.
Original post by AquisM
Me too but I'm too lazy to move my butt, but now I have no choice because my phone's out of battery, so I'm back on my laptop.

HAHA Can't rep you but I would if I could. :gthumb:

And :gthumb: right back at you! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending